Your current favorite purchase of a 2004 album

Hawk

Henri Serton
Staff member
Aug 31, 2001
Eindhoven; Rockcity!
[size=-1]I know, I know, its a weird title. Let me explain. What is your current favorite among the albums you recently bought? It must be a recent album, 2004 album [no re-release please!] and no more than two months ago released. Like in absolutely, surly frigging, shining NEW!!! Never released before!

Also please explain why you like it so much.

I'll give it a go:

B00020QZNO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ayreon - The Human Equation.

Ayreon is a project of Dutch guitar player Arjen Anthony Lucassen.
Before you think, "o no another project", you must know that Arjen recorded his first project in 1995 when nobody else had ever been doing stuff like this.

What is Ayreon? Well, Arjen invites several singers to perform on his album and he and his drummer Ed Warby play most of the music. On this album Arjen also invited a few musicians.

When the singers arrive Arjen has already written and recorded most of the music, written the lyrical concept and sang the guide vocals. Then he starts working with his guests.

For the "Human Equation" he invited:

James Labrie [Dream Theater] he "plays" the leading role
Mikael Akerfelt [Opeth]
Eric Clayton [Saviour Machine]
Heather Findlay [Mostly Autumn]
Irene Jansen [Karma]
Magnus Ekwall [The Quill]
Devon Graves [Dead Soul Tribe]
Marcela Bovio [Effonia]
Arjen Lucassen [Ayreon/Star One/Ambeon]
Mike Baker [Shadow Gallery]
Devin Townsend [Townsend and a lot of other projects]

Musicians used:

Ed Warby/Drums [Gorefest]
Martin Orford/Key's [IQ]
Ken Hensley/Key's [Uriah Heep]
Oliver Wakeman/Key's [Oliver Wakeman]
Joost van den Broek [Ex-Sun Caged now After Forever]

Now what about the music Hawk!!???

Yea yea, were getting there. :) The music spans the continuum of folk, rock, Progressive rock, hard rock, metal and even some death metal moments! But it is always emotional and there's a constant old school feeling [70s and 80s] all through this album. It expresses the story line very well. Since everybody is invited to participate, everyone gets a chance to shine. The vocal lines are written with the particular singer in mind. There's no "battle of the ego's" here. He wants to give every their opportunity to excel.

Coupled with the storyline of a man that lies in a coma and is evaluating his life the music is a perfect fit. Most of the singers represent a specific emotion inside the main characters head. I have heard other projects that tried to do this and they miserably failed. It can be quite messy when that happens. But Arjen succeeded in a big way. This is a very emotional album. The emotions portrayed are so recognizable that it is hard not to be touched by it. After you read the story you will become part of what is happening.

I guess thats the biggest compliment I can give Arjen. This is his best record and it could be come a desert island disc for me. Its still growing on me.

if you want your music to be intelligent and emotional at the same time, if you want the lyrics to touch you and make you reflect on your life, if you like to be musically surprised by unexpected twists in a song. Then get your ass out of that chair and RUN to your local record shop. Ayreon's "The Human Equation" is a killer album and a must have for every serious rock/hard rock and metal freak! :headbang:

Here's the info page:

http://www.ayreon.com/thehumanequation/
[/size]

Easy one for me, it is Tad Morose - "Modus Vivendi." It is a (American) 2004 release but I think it is more than a couple of months old. I honestly haven't heard a band I like as much as this band since I discovered my current favorite band Vanden Plas about six years ago. They simply push all of the right buttons. With the exception of Angel Dust, most of my "favorite" bands I have discovered in the last six, seven years or so have been "proggish," but Tad Morose put the "power" into power metal for me. Urban Breed could do a show with no microphone. His power is amazing and the other musicians are first class as well.

As far as that Ayreon, I have heard great things about it. I will have to check that out....

Bryant

Whether I go by 2004 releases or most recently bought Tad Morose's Modus Vivendi would still win by a landslide. :}

DC Cooper (recently bought) was excellent but couldn't compete with No Mercy, Dead Soul Tribe was even better and eerie but wasn't as viciousssssssness as TM is... I have to go to the store, lol.

Illusion Suite's promo brings up some neat competition although again its not as vicious as TM, more of a smoooooth Dream Theaterish quality.

hmmmm
Lemme Think There has been alot of good albums this year from All different Genres of metal
Here are four albums Released in the US in 2004 that have captured my heart!
Satyricon - Volcano!
Edguy - Hellfire Club
Vehemence - Helping the world to see
Iced Earth The Glorous Burden

Did I answer correctly?

JonnyD said:
hmmmm
Lemme Think There has been alot of good albums this year from All different Genres of metal
Here are four albums Released in the US in 2004 that have captured my heart!
Satyricon - Volcano!
Edguy - Hellfire Club
Vehemence - Helping the world to see
Iced Earth The Glorous Burden

Did I answer correctly?
If you think those albums are great, you answered correctly :D

Without a doubt : WUTHERING HEIGHTS - Far from the Madding Crowd

Awesome folk and melodic progressive speed metal (!!!) like I had never heard before! The singer kicks my ass too, he's like a modern Dio.

Ah, I'm buying that damn new Ayreon tomorrow, we'll see if it can compete with the WH :loco:

Glasswalker64 said:
Anthrax - Music of Mass Destruction

Mine too and Coldness by Kotipelto, easily. Kotipelto is one of my favorite singers and I think he came up with a pretty good album, gathered some good musicians like on the first one and the result rocks IMO :headbang:

Psychonaut said:
I would have to say Wolf or Tad Morose if you wanted them released in the last couple months. Both of those albums are catchy as hell and they've cost me a lot of money in back catalog acquisition.
ahah I know what you mean, it could be worse though, you could have discovered bands like Uriah Heep or Rage lately... talk about a huuuuuuge back catalogue ;)

Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi
Primal Fear - Devil's Ground
Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
Edguy - Hellfire Club
Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned
Death Angel - The Art Of Dying
TNT - My Religion
Thunderstone - The Burning

All of these are so good, it's too soon for me to decide which I like the best.

Other good albums released so far are...

Velvet Revolver - Contraband
Brides Of Destruction - Here Come The Brides
Tesla - Into The Now
Pink Cream 69 - Thunderdome
Metalium - Chapter 4: As One

Ayreon, Tad Morose and Edguy had strong showings in this thread followed by Exodus and Wolf. Cool us oldschool guys can also listen to the modern stuff. In fact, I think lately our conversations have been more on the modern stuff.

Bryant