Your favourite thing for artificial drum room sounds?

bassguy

Aug 28, 2011
Melbourne
I recorded a band the other day and we didn't put up any room mics for the drums (couldn't spare any inputs). I was planning on just using slate z4's to create some artificial room sounds for the shells, but I was wondering what other people's preferences are for this kind of thing, whether it be samples of ambient drums, a specific room impulse, etc?
Share what works for you, I'm just looking for some different things to try :D

yeah but I like to compress my rooms to hell and back. Do you set up another instance of trigger for the room samples (for snare, toms and kick) and send it to a group to compress it? For example:

I have trigger on snare and toms. Now I send the snare to an fx send with trigger (snare room sample) and send that to a room aux which I heavily compress.

Just use a sample replacement software same as when using close samples. Just load up a sample of a snare in room mics instead. If you don't have any then make some.

yeah but now imagine a set with 4 toms. that would be 6 instances of trigger for the close mic shells and another 6 instances for the rooms samples = 12 instances of trigger. thats a lot and pretty cpu hungry!

I'll give it a try. Thanks. Still seems like a lot of work.

Unfortunately making records is a lot of fucking work.

I really like the bricasti rooms. Studio B Close makes its way onto most of my projects. I'm using the samplicity impulses.

I generally also print slate NRG rooms as well. I'll also probably use the Large Wooden room on the snare as well, but automating the send on for only big snare hits.

Yeah I'm a sucker for room mics.

I know it's a lot of work since I'm spending all my free time with it. But it's way easier to send all your shells pre fader to an impulse response instead of setting up another 6 instances of trigger and printing them. You won't have any problems with misstriggering, too. Just my 2 cents.

not really. it takes like 10 seconds max to print something and bring it back in. its not really that much extra work if you know how to bus/group things. Visually i can see how you are overwhelmed but that's a matter of a) having a reason/knowledge for all the tracks and b) organizing your tracks via folders and bussing/grouping.

edit: and if you have a mistrigger... its as simple as copy and paste

My projects are very well organized. And I'm not overwhelmed. I just don't have the time to print extra room tracks and go through them because Trigger could do something wrong and we know that this is happening and in this case it's not a simple matter of copy and paste. At least not with real drums. It just seems like a pain in the ass to do. Sending everything to a room impulse is a matter of seconds. Why should I use Slates NRG's that are restricted to a sample library while I could send my own stuff to any room impulse (the bricasti impulses are awesome!). I just don't get it. Sorry ;)

You could say "so don't do it." I just want to know why do you guys think it's worth it.

Not to sound like a douchebag or anything but...

How do you have time to complain on a forum about how long it's gonna take, but have no time to actually do it?
It seems like it's a bigger pain in the ass trying to figure out a quicker way to do it than just taking the time to add in those fine details that will make it sound better in the end.

That's because I've got a mobile phone and I only work from home. Got it ;)?

I just gave it a try today. Sounded good but I could archive the same thing by using just impulses. Both sound good but using trigger and the NRG's wasn't mindblowing.

K. I dig the IRs that Anssi posted a while back of the Finnvox Studio B.... They're what I've got for the project I'm gonna be doing next month.