Your "go to" reference song(s)?

ElektricEyez

Aug 29, 2007
What are your favorite songs that you use to compare your mixes to when your mixing and mastering and why? What is your favorite Sneap song and also what is your favorite non-Sneap song?

I usually use 2 songs, to get in that ballpark...

My go to sneap song is usually off "Formation of Damnation" by Testament. Usually it's Henchmen Ride or the Evil has Landed. The reason is I just love the drums on that album. The Guitar tone is there, to my ears everything is just so well balanced and tone wise it's there. My mixes don't sound like this, but certain aspects I like to compare my mixes to. Even the bass, while not loud, has just the right amount.

Usual non-Sneap song is Inflikted by Cavalera Conspiracy. To me this is another incredible sounding mix that just has the right tone, and depth. The song has a nice 3 dimensional sound to it that is hard to beat. Nothing about that song sounds harsh to my ears.

Your turn :headbang:

well I guess it really depends on the genre im doing. for instance I keep comparing one of the bands im recording right now to Inhuman Affliction by Oceano. and another to Paramore. o_O

I never reference to 1 or 2 or 3 songs, cause every mix has to work for the band, and the testament mix for example wouldn't work for cavalera consp. and the other way round....
so referenceing or even "copying" doesn't make that much sense...

I do put my mix in a playlist with several very different but good songs though (like 15-20 of my favorite mixes which can be really different from each other)...just to see how it stands up in the middle of all those different mixes...like when I'm listening on shuffle and my mix comes up, does it pop out in a negative way, or does it blend itself into the other mixes......

Well, I usually A-B compare a finished mix to Self Bias Resistor by Fear Factory. First to check out the clarity/separation, then to compare the punch, and finally the loudness.

Oh and this is not to make it sound like the song compared to, but to get you a reference (;)) to get you on the map.

Lasse's method is very good.

If directly referencing to one project, especially if that project is sonically different to yours, you will have an inclination to over-process to try to match their tones, rather than bring out the individuality of your own project. It's a trap I get caught in from time to time, especially if the raw tracks aren't great.

I usually reference within the project with 2 or 3 things that are close to what I'm aiming for. Inevitably I tend to use Stabbing the Drama for overall mix balance, End of Heartache for guitar mids and something else that may work, like The Way of All Flesh as an in-between.

With the low-end in my room changing so frequently I'm not very familiar with it as I once was and I can't get a 'perfect' mix done blindly. So I reference quite heavily these days when the mix is about 80% together. For rock stuff I love referencing to Nickelback, Disturbed and the new Paramore. For metal it's the albums listed above.

I do put my mix in a playlist with several very different but good songs though (like 15-20 of my favorite mixes which can be really different from each other)...just to see how it stands up in the middle of all those different mixes...like when I'm listening on shuffle and my mix comes up, does it pop out in a negative way, or does it blend itself into the other mixes......

yup, that's the way I do it, too!

Yup, Lasse's method too. If I switch from one song to mine and mine sounds way too bassy, then I need to fix something. If it just sounds 'warm' or 'full' but not worse, then its ok.

For a long while when I started mixing, I'd think my song would sound great, then listen to my iPod and it would come on and I would just cringe.

I usually choose a reference song depending on the genre and studio. Then I listen to it very deep and carefully on my beyerdynamic dt770 headphones and start drawing on paper every instrument I hear. I mean positions in the mix and as much as possible levels vs the other instruments. Then I try to guess the main spectrum frecvencies of that instrument using an EQ and a Frequency analyzer.
Then I start working on my own mix. In the end I compare it to some songs I love the production of. Then I listen to it on a pair of small computer speakers for the general feel.
It may seem stupid, but I always liked to close my eyes and give every sound a color and a place in my mind. And I always work with my eyes closed.

+1

ALWAYS a song in the same key, in as close of a style as possible as the primary reference. If you're not referencing a song in the same key, you will be wasting your time IMO.

Secondary references can be in different keys, for drums, etc.