Your iPod EQ Settings?

Perishh

May 1, 2010
Brisbane AU
Was listening to the new Veil of Maya at the gym today and the guitars were sounding like dog shit. I thought that there must be something wrong with my EQ settings because the earphones I have are quite good.

I checked my EQ and I had it on "Loudness" so I started playing with all the different settings and found that "Acoustic" was sounding really good for my headphone mix. Granted Veil of Maya have never been renowned for good guitar tones, but it helped and transferred across a few other album mixes really well. Going back to loudness now sounds so terrible for all albums.

What settings do you guys keep your iPod headphones on where you feel it gives you the best mix?

Off, they have always been totally garbage.

On very very few occasions I have boosted bass (myself if possible) because of headphones/headset desperately lacking bass, but usually nowhere as much as the "bass boost" settings in an iPod !

On another note : throw your iPod away, buy Archos / Creative or stuff like that, and shit bricks :)

(I have a 40Gb Archos that still works after 7 years of use, and its DA conversion is comparable to mid end soundcards like a profire or so)

I have it on "Lounge", it boosts the mids and gets rid of some of the midhigh piercing that the iPod earphones have. I should get better earphones but I like the controls on the iPod ones.

I have it on "Lounge", it boosts the mids and gets rid of some of the midhigh piercing that the iPod earphones have. I should get better earphones but I like the controls on the iPod ones.

I use blackberry headphones, the ones that come with the newest ones. Totally stole them from my whole family, they sound soooo much better than the iphone ones, and have the button/mic for handsfree, pause/play, next track etc. The only thing they don´t have is volume control, but that doesn´t bother me.

The headphone amp doesn't have the juice to handle anything else except off no matter if you're using earbuds or cans. It just sounds bad.

I've only ever adjusted them on the occasion I have to use some really shitty headphones and thats the only way I'll suffer them...

With decent headphones, EQ off...

It also cuts your battery life too and with my Classic being aroudn 5 year old and used everyday, i'm pushing what I can out of it...

I've got a gen 3 that i've had for about 5 years. I've always had it on "Rock" because to me back then it sounded good. Now i've gotten used to how all my music sounds on it.

After reading this thread yesterday I tried turning the EQ off and was surprised that it didn't sound as bad as I remember, but again im so used to it being set to "Rock" that I think I'll keep it that way. Otherwise I'll have to re-learn all my reference mixes.

Cant speak for running out of the headphone output though, I run everything out of the iPod connector. Could be a whole separate issue there.

I've always had it set to off. I never listen with earbuds, and I always hated the way the iphone ones sounded. I use it in the car and hooked in to my aux on my monitor controller, so there's no reason for me to use the ipod eq.