EQ settings - Studio vs. Live

MEGA DAVE

Mar 5, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
So what's everyone's opinions on the best way to eq your amp for you live setup as opposed to your studio settings? I've been messing around with settings on my ampeg's built in eq and can't quite make my bass stand out as much as I want. opinions, settings, etc? any help from you all and especially Steve of course is greatly appreciated, thanks

Boosted bass, scooped/flatted mids, and boosted treble make up my ideal tone. Especially in black metal, I feel that treble is the frequency which stands out the best amongst high-gain guitar riffing.

NEVER SCOOP MIDS! YOU'LL GET BURIED IN THE MIX!

Guitars are already downtuned in metal and they have lots of treble. Most guitarrists will scoop their tone. You need to AT LEAST not cut the mids. Personally I like to boost them! I prefer to boost around 400hz, and in fretted I also like to boost around 800hz and 1Khz.

NEVER SCOOP MIDS! YOU'LL GET BURIED IN THE MIX!

Guitars are already downtuned in metal and they have lots of treble. Most guitarrists will scoop their tone. You need to AT LEAST not cut the mids. Personally I like to boost them! I prefer to boost around 400hz, and in fretted I also like to boost around 800hz and 1Khz.

Most of my band's music is mid-range, actually. And if it works, I tend to leave the mids flat.

There are various ways to cut through the mix. Theoretically, one should rely on the strengths of the woods in his instruments, the size of the speakers in his enclosures, and bolster these strengths with the EQ on his amplifier and preamp (if he has one). My bass is made primarily of an exotic type of walnut, which is noted for its strong mids and highs. I leave the mids flat and boost the bass because, well, it's a bass guitar. I suppose I could scoop the bass and boost the mids once I get the thing modified.

Yes, if you have an already middy bass you have plenty of mids already. But the mid that helps you cut through is (mostly) low mid, because those are frequencies that the guitars have a lot subdued. (my grammar is terrible!)

I boost my bass at around 50 hz then leave acoustic smile up to high treble frequencies - works in studio AND on stage :)
But that works for my bass ( maple / ash ) .Maybe it doesnt work for exotic wood ... try it out:)