6505 combo EQ question

tides

Jun 30, 2009
BE
www.myspace.com
I am experiencing some difficulties with my 6505 combo. At various settings, I get a harsh and gritty sound, a bit muddy even when presence/resonance are set too high. Rolling back on the highs/presence takes away some of the grit, but also reduces the dynamics of any harmonics/squeals. Furthermore, none of the EQ settings I found so far (mainly for the head) are any good, even when reducing the pre gain.

So, my question for all you 6505 (combo) owners; can anyone recommend a good setting? Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

Just for info, the combo has been retubed, features a built-in noise gate and had a modification on the gain channel to resemble the head more closely, all done by a very skilled technician.

I gave up on my 5150 combo. You either have to change speakers (to vintage 30, etc) or record line out and use impulses. I did the latter for now. I actually like it when I play but in recording it sounds like shit.

Thanks, very nice sound indeed. I wouldn't have guessed that these settings produce any usable sounds, but they clearly sound very good on the recording.

I'll need to get me a tubescreamer then. I take it a new maxon OD808 would do the trick as well?

Maybe an additional question; did you ever try to get any decent sounds/recordings from the red channel?

Many thanks!!

imho i find that using a tubescreamer in front of a high gain guitar tone makes little to no difference in the end result, and for that purpose is a waste of cash, now for an overdrive pedal it sound great, or for less high gain stuff its awesome. also, the 6505 is a killer head, just keep working at the eq until you find something YOU like, thats what its all about, you don't need to search the internet for that answer, use those ears

imho i find that using a tubescreamer in front of a high gain guitar tone makes little to no difference in the end result, and for that purpose is a waste of cash

O_Rry__by_FunnyOwl.jpg

TT w/o TS.mp3
TT w/ TS.mp3

Dual Rec w/o TS.mp3
Dual Rec w/TS.mp3

On these last two, apologies for the "squelchiness" on the fast gallops, that was due to a picking technique problem that has since been rectified! But yeah, there is most definitely a difference IMO, simply because the TS is thinning the lows before the input stage:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/346068-tube-screamer-faq-version-1-a.html

Read and learn :D

And I just use the $40 Ibanez TS7, because according to JBroll in that thread (and this pic that I took myself of the guts of mine, showing the same op-amp that everyone boners over in the more higher-end ones) it's a TS9 in a cheaper box, and it works great for me! (and is cheap enough that you might as well grab one and try it to see if you like it! Cuz far be it for me to simply advise searching the internet for that answer, use those ears :loco: )

No doubt there is an audible difference, but IMO (this is a completely subjective thread obviously), I find that anything the TS9 would do before the input stage I can either do with eq from the amp or eq during the mixing stage. To each there own, and I'm sure I'll buy one some day, but what I heard from the original users post was that he NEEDED to get one to get a "usable" tone, which is definitely not the case, thats really the only point I was trying to make, obviously the TS9 makes noticeable difference, but by no means is it a "must have standard in heavy guitar recording".

Thanks for all the replies, certainly an interesting discussion. I did manage to find a good setting in the meantime, might change in the future, but hey, at least I'm getting my highly anticipated monster riffs from the 6505.

What I've done so far:

changed to a 412 cabinet (GT12-75) and dumped the Sheffields. Might consider replacing the speakers in the combo later on for ease of transportation though.

spent some quality time with the amp to EQ at higher volumes

use settings with low pregain (4.5) and presence (3.5). Other settings kept moderate as well: bass (6), middle (2.5), high (5), and resonance (4.5). Works wonders on decent postgain (3), especially as the 412 cabinet packs a lot of Ooomph and high tones on its own. The low mids have me somewhat concerned for rehearsals/gigging, but I can always adjust if I don't cut through enough.

As for the tubescreamer; I've got an eye out for a cheap one, so I'll certainly give it a try in the future.

Regards!