6505+ Combo

TDSTIAYW

New Metal Member
Feb 5, 2010
I'm thinking of getting a new 6505+ combo.

Are these still being made in the US? (It's OK if they are not.)

And what other similar super high gain combos should I look at? (Mesa, Marshall, Krank?)

I want it for my home studio, not for gigging.

I play Machine Head and Hatebreed type rhythm guitar, mostly on a 7 string.

Any suggestions or ideas?

They're made in China, but the price is so cheap that I've been tempted to pick one up and load it with a V30.

Nobody else makes a really high-gain 1x12, aside from the Mesa Rectoverb, which is quite cool, but almost twice the price and has a 1/2 open back.

Sorry for the bump, has anyone got one of these and compared it to the head?
I'm thinking about picking up one of these and converting it into a head, at half the price of the US made heads it looks like a great deal if they still sound good.

Well I tried one and to my ears it is a 5150 through a 1x12 cab basically.

Build quality was very "square" if that makes sense. Very utilitarian, much like the chinese made Randall's and such.

On the reliability side, I find that the Chinese made tube stuff is built pretty well. For tube amps I think it comes down more to the design and the layout and all the ones I have seen are right on par with any other mass produced amp. Plus it is a common circuit and Peavey has authorized repair all over, so that is a big +1 over amps in its price range for sure.

Not trying to derail the thread, but i thought this might be a good spot to ask the question.

I just picked up a 5150 combo, and was wondering if you can disconnect the 2x12's and just run the extension speakers out to a 4x12 cab? becouse i would like to be able to adjust the settings in the control room without going def. I know it changes the ohm load and such, dont want to fry it.

I'm also interested in how the cheap combo version compares to the "real deal".
There are some differences, like its 60w instead of 120w, so it has half of the power tubes and also less pre-amp tubes.
You can compare it on the Peavey website.

Not trying to derail the thread, but i thought this might be a good spot to ask the question.

I just picked up a 5150 combo, and was wondering if you can disconnect the 2x12's and just run the extension speakers out to a 4x12 cab? becouse i would like to be able to adjust the settings in the control room without going def. I know it changes the ohm load and such, dont want to fry it.

yeah, you can, there's a external speaker out on the back and if you take out the upper cover on the back you can also unplug the speakers.

there's a lot of information in this forum about this.

I'm also interested in how the cheap combo version compares to the "real deal".
There are some differences, like its 60w instead of 120w, so it has half of the power tubes and also less pre-amp tubes.
You can compare it on the Peavey website.

Actually, it has the same amount of pre-amp tubes, it's just 2 instead of 4 power tubes(half of the wattage)

Yeah, I remember asking Peavey about this - basically, it means that if you wanna plug it into an extension cabinet, that cabinet has to have a total mono impedance of 16 ohms (e.g. Marshall, Engl, NOT Mesa) UNLESS you disconnect and tape off the leads to the internal speakers, in which case you can connect it to an 8 ohm cab (I heard this directly from Peavey).

Thanks to Marcus this is what i was looking for! I will be running into a Mesa 4x12 so this should work.

Hey guys,

Wanted to bump this, as I just got a bit of free cash, and the temptation to get a 6505+ combo is large. The head is twice the price... so I'm wondering if I could just get the combo, and remove the speaker... and use it with my cab. Anyone using one of these - can't find too much on how different they might/might not be to the head version.