Your 'off the beaten path' CD recommendations

Mr Toast

Threadslayer
Aug 1, 2002
www.mrtoast.com
One thing that is highly evident in the treads here is the high amount of diversity in the stuff we all listen to. This has to a degree restored my faith that Metal is indeed very much alive, although we now have to be more persistent to find the new stuff.

I've seen some names recommended in some other threads (best bass player, best guitarist, etc.). I'm curious as to what 'unknown favorites' people have, which you wish to recommend to others.

I picked up Ballurio's latest two albums last week, and I must say I really like "In the Machine". His website is at http://www.ballurio.com, and there are some sound clips there for those interested. I just really like the sound of this CD, and the review clip on his site does a very nice job of summarizing why this is so.

What are your 'hidden' favorites?

Here are a couple of mine:

Don Kush If you like acoustic fingerstyle guitar in the style of Michael Hedges. Don uses a number of alternate tunings and atypical playing styles. Good stuff.

For a more metal band Heir Apparent from Seattle. These guys, lead by guitarist Terry Gorle ran in the same circles and recorded in the same studio (Triad) as Queensryche, so their is a resemblance.

Check out a group from Europe called, 'Silent Force'. Met their guitarist a few years ago at the NAMM show. Very nice guy and great guitarist. Got their first CD and need to get their newest.

Also, the bands Platypus and Jelly Jam are good. They have Ty Tabor and John Myung in them.

For the tastes that go a bit into oddities and strangeness, check out Mike Keneally and Beer for Dophins. Has a very heavy Zappa influence but more updated musically. Actually, Mike has played with Zappa and has also done stuff with Vai.

One band that is a bit unique is Iona. They are more of a celtic style. They combing celtic, jazz, and prog rock. The music is very atmospherical and the female lead vocal has a voice that is as smooth as you can get. Their CD's are great for putting on, sitting out in front of your speakers and just closing your eyes and listen.

I'm a Heir Apparent fan too (only have one album though...)

And Gordian Knot: Emergent finally arrived yesterday, and I've been listening intently...

The Japanese version has a bonus track (live performance of Grace from the first Gordian Knot album). Grace has to be one of the most beautiful pieces of instrumental work I've ever heard, and was the most awesome way to end the first album. The live version adds some different subtleties, and really plucks at my soul...

Silent Force was at ProgPower III in Atlanta this past Nov. I was looking forward to seeing them very much due to some really cool rocking cd's, but their singer D.C. Cooper is such a cheese ball to see perform live. He is soooooo totally 80's.
I think a great band is Zero Hour. Their Towers Of Avarice cd is awesome and soon they will be re-releasing their first cd with additional songs that were recorded at the same time, but for financial reasons were not included.
Have you heard any Metalium? How about Dragon Force?

The rest of the stuff I like you are most likely aware of.

My biggest non-metal interest would have to be 70s style jazz-fusion. If you liked Liquid Tension Experiment, then you should check out Return to Forever. Some really outrageous playing by all four members. There were 3 RTF eras.

The first incarnation was more Spanish/flamenco sounding (Chick Corea is Latino, after all). But in 1974 they shifted gears, picked up Al DiMeola, and started to get more aggressive. Hymn of the 7th Galaxy, Where Have I Known You Before and Romantic Warrior are all fantastic. Then Corea went back to the original style and DiMeola went off on his own.

For some downright screwball music, I like Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Bluegrass banjo with a funky, slap-happy bassist and electronic drummer. I liked their earliest incarnation, with the guy who did keys, harmonica and a bunch of other noisemakers. Their bassist, Victor Wooten, is scary, an absolute monster of a bassist.

And very rarely, to unwind, I pop Fantasia in the DVD player and chill. Fantasia 2000 was a monumental disappointment (Pomp and Circumstance with Donald Duck aside) but the original is still brilliant.

Fusion Jazz? My first good guitar teacher got me into some crazy stuff. 'Mahavishnu Orchestra' is a great group. Lots of different timing. John Mclaughlin on guitar. That group made it hard for me to write in 4/4.

here is mine... not a metal recommendation, though:
Coheed and Cambria- The Second Stage Turbine Blade.
This band sounds like Geddy Lee from Rush singing for At The Drive-In. It seems like the guitarist/singer was influenced by prog-metal and emo at the same time. The music and vocals are incredible! Just throwing something different out there for you to try out.
Check out THESE MP3'S and see if you like it.

If you liked Liquid Tension Experiment, then you should check out Return to Forever. Some really outrageous playing by all four members.

Damn straight. Also, Herbie Hancock's Headhunters and Thrust are phenomenally good "funkfusion" albums from around the same time - everybody should know "Chameleon" from Headhunters.

An excellent mid-70s outing is Timeless by John Abercrombie, Jan Hammer, and Jack DeJohnette.

Al Di Meola solo also kills: Elegant Gypsy, Splendido Hotel, Tour De Force - Live...superb. Jan [Hammer] smokes on that last one.

Modern - Ayreon, Ambeon, Star One anything by Arjen Anders Lucassen (sorry if there is any mispelling there).

Older - Tangerine Dream, Can, Camel, Brian Eno and Robert Fripp (both solo and in collaboration, plus Fripp in King Crimson)

i don't know if you guys have heard of him, but if you haven't you should check out jesse cook. hes a flamenco guitarist from canda. all i can say is wow. and its great lovemakin music too.

Here is a band that is a bit obscure bit fairly odd. Gentle Giant. They were around in the 70's. They had a bit of a King Crimson vibe going.

Two others I have that are 'off the beaten path' are Fleming and John. Very late 60s type feel but heavier. And Saviour Machine. Does a gothic type music. They did a trilogy CD thing that lost me after the first CD, but the stuff before is great.