Your thoughts on 'The Great Escape'; one song or divided into parts?

Kazar

SW-moderator
May 14, 2007
The song 'The Great Escape' will be a massive 30 minutes long track. It's not quit sure yet if this will be one song or if it will be divided into some parts (it is written in 13 parts).

What are your hopes towards this song; would you like it to be one huge epic track or should the song be cut into different pieces?

Personally, I hope it's one huge track!

The song 'The Great Escape' will be a massive 30 minutes long track. It's not quit sure yet if this will be one song or if it will be divided into some parts (it is written in 13 parts).

What are your hopes towards this song; would you like it to be one huge epic track or should the song be cut into different pieces?

Personally, I hope it's one huge track!
6 degrees by DT is the same type of animal TGE is going to Be and in the case of 6DOIT i have to say i enjoyed the option of directly accessing solitary shell and about to Crash reprise, my two favorites.

Doesn't really matter, but if it's one track, it will look cooler :lol:

Keep in mind that while 6DOIT was divided into standalone tracks, those were all put on the second disc of the double album, separated from the other songs. If TGE gets split into pieces, the tracklist of the CD will be gigantic. So I would prefer a single track.

Of course SW could also take the double-disc approach and fill the remaining disc space with B-Sides :headbang:

I don't care either way. Neal Morse's song The Door is over 30 minutes and I love it. I have no problem fast forwarding or rewinding. Adds a little extra "Wow! They can play that in one take?"

6 degrees by DT is the same type of animal TGE is going to Be and in the case of 6DOIT i have to say i enjoyed the option of directly accessing solitary shell and about to Crash reprise, my two favorites.

To me, 6DOIT feels like 7/8 seperate songs (About to Crash pt1 and 2). Apart from some nice transitions there's no musical cohesion between the songs.
I hope 'A Change of Seasons' and 'Octavarium' are better examples in comparison to 'The Great Escape'. Although having different chapters in the storyline those songs really feel like one song.

I vote for one huge track, don't like the fractured songs. One suite is one suite and it's meant to be as a whole.

I'm a big fan of massively long songs, which you can just put on and keep listening to. So I'm obviously going to vote for making it one big track (and hope I'll get to see them play it live one day!).

That said, I don't think that the guys should put too much weight into what WE think, but rather what would feel best for themselves. In the end they're the ones that have to live with the final product and we'll be satisfied and amazed either way :)

Definitely prefer a giant track, especially since my music player is always on shuffle so fragmented tracks would be annoying for me.

With these long songs it really depends.

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence is the only one where I like the way it is. But you have to keep in mind SDOIT is actually 42 minutes long, longer than the majority of these really long tracks (which I consider to be about the 20 minute mark).

For this, 30 minutes divided into 13 parts? SDOIT is 42 minutes split up into 8 parts so the individual tracks are averaging 5 or so minutes long, which is enough to make them feel like a complete song. I personally don't want 13 2 minute long tracks, that would feel very disjointed.

Also, I just love epic tracks :worship: