Johan's current view on 'The Great Escape'

Kazar

SW-moderator
May 14, 2007
For a Greek (Prog)metal-site, Johan was asked to say a few words about 'The Great Escape', almost three years after its official release.

Here's what he had to say:
"The album is now more than 2,5 years old and when I listen to the album now I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with it.
Of course, you always find some things that we could have made better. But, when you are in a studio recording an album, it's really difficult to take a step back a listen to what you created.
The only way to do that is to give it some time... I listened to the title track (over 30 minutes long?! the ultimate radio single) a while ago for the first time in a year and I have to admit that it almost sounds like someone else is playing the guitar on that track!!
Because all the guitar parts were learnt directly before the recordings and since there is so much music on one single track, it's impossible to remember how to play it now! Hope to never play it live...

We have received a lot of great reviews of "The Great Escape" and a lot of people think that it's the best one we ever made, so with that in mind I have to say we are all happy with the result.
The only bad thing with all that is that the pressure is higher than ever for the new album. But, you can easily turn it into a good thing as well.

Stay tuned for the new Seventh Wonder album! The working progress continues."

Johan's words are part of "The stories behind Rocking.gr's The Absolute Guide To Progressive Metal"!

Check out his little interview, and the rest of the article, here :
http://www.rocking.gr/articles/en//17299/

Glad he looks back on it highly, obviously lots of fans do. What he says about hearing himself play makes complete sense! And I think it's pretty routine for players to have to re-learn songs they recorded but haven't played in a while, even if they are just average length and not 30 minutes of ridiculously amazing stuff.

Only bad thing about this is it's obvious the band haven't been secretly rehearsing The Great Escape to play in it's entirety, although I am sure we all knew that. ;)

And there's the living, breathing proof we all dreaded of Seventh Wonder never planning to play The Great Escape live. Sad day :(