'The Great Escape' after a couple of months....

Kazar

SW-moderator
May 14, 2007
It's been four months now since 'The Great Escape' was released. Time to reflect a bit.

So, has the album still its strength for you? Has it become even better after all the months of listening to it or did you lose interest after the first impact?

Finally, how would you rank the SW-albums now?

I still think this was an amazing album probably the best of last year. I don't listen to it quite as often now but to be honest that would be pretty difficult since it was pretty much my go-to album for months after getting it...

The Great Escape is one of my favourite songs of all time now, it makes the album amazing on its own. I really like Wiseman starting a couple of months back - at first I thought it was just average but now it's the most likely one I listen to other than TGE.

I'm still putting it below Mercy Falls but it's a tough call since the title track alone is almost like listening to a full concept album. Definitely better than Waiting In The Wings though since it's so close to MF (and I never really listen to their debut) so:

Mercy Falls
The Great Escape
Waiting In The Wings

As for the album itself:

The Great Escape
The Angelmaker
King Of Whitewater
Wiseman
Move On Through
Alley Cat
Long Way Home

The Angelmaker and King Of Whitewater I both loved pretty much straight away, I'd maybe consider King better now... Wiseman as I said is a masterpiece and Move On Through and Alley Cat are just great. Long Way Home is good too but I never thought it was anywhere near as good.

Before The Great Escape was released, I pretty much considered Mercy Falls one of my three favorite albums ever. Now TGE is my favorite by Seventh Wonder. That should say it all, really.

It's been four months now since 'The Great Escape' was released. Time to reflect a bit.

So, has the album still its strength for you? Has it become even better after all the months of listening to it or did you lose interest after the first impact?

Finally, how would you rank the SW-albums now?

Oh, I thought you meant "Is it time for a new record?" and my answer would have been "Yessir!" :headbang:

Seriously, it's still the masterpiece I thought it was.... and it goes better!! Even when I don't listen to it, I play it in my mind!! :worship:

Still as great as ever, even though i perhaps don't listen to it as much, maybe 3 or 4 times a week, as opposed to 3 or 4 times a day :p I still uncover new amazing things about some of the songs with every listen. I think it will forever be in my top 5 albums of all time, it's currently number 1 :rofl:

I would LOVE to find the most perfect headphones/ ear buds EVER and listen to all of their efforts, just so I can hear everything that I know is in there, but just can't quite hear...

The 3 CDs of theirs I have - WinW, MF and TGE are all tied for #1, I refuse to make a choice (and that is my choice :D )

The magic of this album wore off a bit after I listened to every song 40 times each or so... I still love it, but it plays mostly in my head now :rofl:

Out of the SW albums I've heard, my list goes:

TGE
Mercy Falls
Waiting in the Wings

I would LOVE to find the most perfect headphones/ ear buds EVER and listen to all of their efforts, just so I can hear everything that I know is in there, but just can't quite hear...

I have AKG-701 headphones with HeadBox MKII amp (not the best setup but good for now I think), and The Great Escapes sounds so awesome.. I love new bass sound when compared to Mercy Falls's bass, but I miss Mercy Falls's snare sound..

I can only agree to what´s already been said.

From the day I got it it has been the only thing I wanted to listen to and it´s only a couple of days ago that I listened to another album, (Mercy Falls :p)

The only bad thing about the album is that the first six songs falls in the shadows of the gigantic monster that is TGEsong, it´s simply to good and although the first six songs are amazing I got stuck in TGEsong and if I have an hour to listen to music I prefer listening to TGEsong twice instead of listen to the whole album. and it makes me feel a bit guilty towards the other songs.

But I am a huge fan of epic songs, TRANSATLANTIC!!! so I can´t help it

Still love TGE; the only song that I never could get into as much was Move On Through, although it is by no means a bad song. I also find myself liking Angelmaker less and less. It just doesn't have the same punch as the other songs, and I'm pretty sure it reuses a riff from one of their older songs, not sure which though, maybe something from WITW (album)?

Still can't get enough of Wiseman (love the quiet bridge section) and King of Whitewater (love the European-like melodies). Long Way Home has also grown on me, although it's a tad bit commercial. But that final chorus with Jenny and Tommy is amazing.

As far as the albums go...

TGE > WITW > MF > Become

Well, the first listening of TGE was a bit of a dissapointmend for me, it jus wasnt as good is i hoped it would be. but in the weeks following it the album got better and better each time. (offcourse the song TGE was an instand classic and easily their best song)
now after a few months, i realize that i dont give that much attention to the album TGE. the only song that i still listen is their great epic... but the other songs dont have the impact anymore. they lost their feeling. just normal music it seems, not outstanding anymore. i still listen to songs of MF en WITW (almost every day)
so i think for me i would say that this album is a bit of a minor. but it still is a good album.

my list would be: Mercy falls, Waiting in the wings, The great escape, Become.

I haven't been in the mood to spin it as often as I once did, but it's still an amazing album that grabs me from start to finish. :) If I had to rank them, TGE would definitely be #1, followed by WitW. I never did fully warm up to MF...

For me the TGE album is still a 10/10 and I still listen to it every day. For the first couple of month I didn't listen to any other music at all except the MF album :D
But the song TGE is the one that I listen to most now .. it's a masterpiece!!