Your Top 3 Favorite Composers

3. Jeremy Soule - Morrowind, Oblivion

I love the music in "Morrorwind"! Maybe THE reasons I played it 2 times, although some elements annoyed me in this game.

My personal faves:

-Steve Harris
-John Lennon
-Chuck Schuldiner

Awesome songwriters!

I also like the soundtracks John Barry did in the 70´s. James Bond ftw!

So after picking up the music to Bioshock 2 and Dante's Infterno, I've come to realize Garry Schyman has been added to my list. Epic beyond words.:headbang:

You´re talking about videogame composers? I really like Yūzō Koshiro, the japanese that wrote the Streets Of Rage, Sonic and Shonobi soundtrack. If you had a Mega Drive (Genesis) you know he is a genius.

Videogame composers,
- Nobuo Uematsu is just insane. All of his work is gold. Seriously, it's almost depressing to hear what he can achieve, in such different styles. It's like, you could spend an entire life to master a specific style of music, but he could just do better in all of them. It's just... you know, impossible to understand.
- Jeremy Soule, because i just fucking loved his morrowind soundtracks.
- Also, the dude for Metal Gear Solid was impressive.

Classical music :
- BACH is my favourite one. Seriously, for me, he was THE man, if I had to choose only one man in the whole human race as a demigod, it woud be him. When I listen to his work, excepted some boring (for my 21th century normal musical brain) specific things, I often shiver because he is the only one to make me say "THIS is PERFECT" a serious way. I seriously think that if one piece of music should be considered at "perfect", it could only be a Bach one. Even knowing music should be subjective, for me, he is the exception.
- mozart for his requiem which is another piece I would tend to put close to a demigod level.
- Tchaikovsky.

About film scores, I would really like to talk about Basil Poledouris. He just wrote Conan the Barbarian, and, one ot the most epic soundtracks ever, the one for starship troopers.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Martin O'Donnell - Personally, one of my favourites. Feel free to disagree and that's fine, but his work on the halo series definitely left some jizz stains. Especially on Halo ODST, I have never felt so crap and alone (which is the intended effect) merely from a score. It was awesome!!!

2. Nobuo Uematsu

Somehow I'm starting to think I'm the only guy that missed the Nobuo Uematsu train. I'm sure it comes from being a Sega Genesis guy when it came out in '91 and loving the system. That and probably from never really playing any Final Fantasy games.

I only have one, Jesper Kyd, that dude's work on all the Hitman albums soundtracks is just incredible, the soundtrack on Hitman Contracts is trippy :D

Kyd's Assasin's Creed II soundtrack is what really got me into his work.

other movie and game composers i really enjoy:

Marco Beltrami
Paul Haslinger
Tyler Bates
Brian Tyler
Ramin Djawadi
.... i could keep going

in the classical realm:

Béla Bartók
Antonín Dvořák
Gustov Holst
Edgard Varese
...again, i could keep going.

Badalamenti for movie soundtracks, really sick

For classical, Modest Mussorgsky absolutely rocks

And, last but not least, Zbigniew Preisner, his "Van den Budenmayer Concerto en Mi Mineur" may be the most beautiful piece of music I have ever heard

I'm surprised that Clint Mansell is only mentioned once, since The Fountain you could consider me a fan of his work. I dare you to listen to this and not loving it

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihF_aXi-Huk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihF_aXi-Huk[/ame]

Furthermore like everybody else Nobuo Uematsu, and i also absolutely love the music in Heavy Rain by Normand Corbell. Filmwise i like Hans Zimmer, Thomas Newman, Danny Elfman, John Williams and i probably forgot some names.

Badalamenti for movie soundtracks, really sick

For classical, Modest Mussorgsky absolutely rocks

And, last but not least, Zbigniew Preisner, his "Van den Budenmayer Concerto en Mi Mineur" may be the most beautiful piece of music I have ever heard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bHC8XEfEYk

I swear, the Polish composers must have some secret mojo when it comes to writing vocal music.

I'm in to the typical epic, Hans Zimmer type stuff. One score I really like in terms of instrumentation is the Kingdom Of Heaven score by Harry Gregson-Williams. Here's a one of my favourite pieces from the score:

Also if you like the dark, brooding mood-music check out David Shire's Zodiac score:

But of course, Immediate Music always takes the cake when it comes to shear epicness:

Somehow I'm starting to think I'm the only guy that missed the Nobuo Uematsu train. I'm sure it comes from being a Sega Genesis guy when it came out in '91 and loving the system. That and probably from never really playing any Final Fantasy games.

Dude, Masato Nakamura's Sonic The Hedgehog 1 and 2 game music is absolutely brilliant. I was a Sega kid too and I think those themes really influenced my writing as an adult.

I'm surprised that Clint Mansell is only mentioned once, since The Fountain you could consider me a fan of his work. I dare you to listen to this and not loving it
oh yeah man... fantastic soundtrack... Mansell working closely with two of my favorite instrumental groups: Kronos Quartet and Mogwai

fantastic CD

Dude, Masato Nakamura's Sonic The Hedgehog 1 and 2 game music is absolutely brilliant. I was a Sega kid too and I think those themes really influenced my writing as an adult.

Some of the Japanese composers are absurd good. They have this art at creating immensely nostalgic sounding arrangements. To this day I can listen to some soundtracks for various PSX games I've never played and get hit with an instant sense of it.

I will check the stuff posted in this thread now. Can't wait, after a day of listening to grating metal around the clock.

Ah, so that's his name! Honestly back in the day I never thought to look who did the music, or even today I never thought to look up who did the Sonic music. I shall have to check him out (plus I'll have to go thru my old Sega collection and see what games I remember having decent music :lol:). I've been on a japanese composer kick recently anyway (though hard to find at times), but Akira Ifukube (starting to become one of my favs), Isotaro Sugata, Hisato Ohzawa, and Toru Takemitsu.