YT: Testament - Return To Serenity Cover Video

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
Hey guys,

Finally posted this tonight after keeping it under wraps for quite a while. Collaboration with a few talented friends on one of my favourite Testament songs. It's a bit of a merge of the original and the acoustic version they re-recorded some years later. I recorded guitars/bass and did the mix/master on this.

Check it out!

Probably one of my favourite songs of Testament. Great perfomance and great solo.

Are you playing with D activator on the bridge? I saw other video and the pickup sounds great in your guitar. Is a good pickup for recording? I see it quite cheap in the used market, I might get one.

Fantastic job mate! Love the snare tone - perfection. Can I ask you to tell more about production process? What gear have you used? And tell roughly how you get that snare drum sound. Drums are real ones right? And mixed with samples I guess :)
Once again - brilliant job!

Probably one of my favourite songs of Testament. Great perfomance and great solo.

Are you playing with D activator on the bridge? I saw other video and the pickup sounds great in your guitar. Is a good pickup for recording? I see it quite cheap in the used market, I might get one.

Hey man, the JPX has a D-Activator X in the bridge but I didn't use that guitar for the main tones in this song as I actually got that guitar after I finished tracking. I used a JP6 with the original Dimarzio's for most of the main tracking on it. I'd definitely say try one out ! I also did a comparison between the D'Activator and D'Activator-X in another video -

Fantastic job mate! Love the snare tone - perfection. Can I ask you to tell more about production process? What gear have you used? And tell roughly how you get that snare drum sound. Drums are real ones right? And mixed with samples I guess :)
Once again - brilliant job!

Thanks man!

Yeah the drums are real and most of the snare you are hearing is the actual snare. I'm not sure what drums/woods etc Hugo used for the drums so he might chime in but I added a lot of triggered room mic's which really adds to the vibe/expanse. There's a little bit of sample to add some decay but it's mostly the natural snare....with EQ/Compression/Saturation and clipping. Decent amount coming from the overhead mics too.

Everything about this is awesome, great job! Mix blew me away - would love to hear more about what you used.

Cheers dude, anything you want to ask just fire away :)