Zandelle- Twilight on Humanity/ Best Powermetal CD Ever!!

savabich2

Aug 9, 2005
tohcover.jpg

With all the talk about Dragonforce these days, I just had to dust this one off and give it a spin to remind myslef what real powermetal is supposed to sound like.

I've been a huge fan of there's since the Powermead shows in Baltimore a few years back.

Very raw and old school.

Has anyone else heard this yet?

I was gonna say, wow that's a band name I haven't heard since Powermad..

Gotta love finding fellow Powermadders wandering around here and there, a bunch of us were reminiscing in Atlanta last weekend..Powermad seems like a lifetime ago.

Did you catch their st? They were on last on Sunday if i remember corrtly.

Who else was outstanding that you remember?

I go with Without Warning, Aztec Jade, Jag Panzer, October Thorns- so many great bands at those shows.

What happened to them?

See?!!

You can't.

Zandelle opened for SyX at L'Amours and everyone loved them. They were the best band on the bill that night if you ask me!

So, there.

Wuthering Heights, Gamma Ray, Angra, Masterplan and Vision Divine (just took a few on the top of my mind).

For more oldschool-sounding power metal, Metalium and Nightmare are both better imo.

LOVE Pagans Mind, very complex but with solid songs.

kamelot I consider more on the prog side, powermetal has to be about gay topics, like brothers of metal, dragons, faeries, swords, that kind of thing.

Yngvai X said:
No it doesn't.

Yes, a tacit denial is ALWAYS a good way to get your point across!

What are you 14?

"Yes you are."

"No, I'm not!"

:Smug:

That's so lame that you can't come up with a better line than that.

At least explain yourself.

savabich2 said:
Yes, a tacit denial is ALWAYS a good way to get your point across!

What are you 14?

"Yes you are."

"No, I'm not!"

:Smug:

That's so lame that you can't come up with a better line than that.

At least explain yourself.

Its lame that I didn't need to express any further statement than "no powermetal does not have to be about dragons all the time" and its NOT lame to think a genre needs to be limited to its most cliche of lyrical subjects?

There is plenty of powermetal that does not have Conan the Barbarian lyrics. Namely, Rage, Iron Savior, Edguy, Persuader, Iced Earth, Nevermore (if you wanna call em powermetal, I don't tho)...even Helloween (the originators of the genre) never wrote swords n sorcery type lyrics.

And for what its worth, I completely shy away from fantasy lyrics when writing for Dark Empire (since a lot of people consider us powermetal). I find it much more interesting (and rewarding) as a writer to write about real topics that I feel strongly about (war, religion, social issues, etc). Granted I've written the occasional horror themed lyric, but typically I like writing about personal things.

Yngvai X said:
Its lame that I didn't need to express any further statement than "no powermetal does not have to be about dragons all the time" and its NOT lame to think a genre needs to be limited to its most cliche of lyrical subjects?

There is plenty of powermetal that does not have Conan the Barbarian lyrics. Namely, Rage, Iron Savior, Edguy, Persuader, Iced Earth, Nevermore (if you wanna call em powermetal, I don't tho)...even Helloween (the originators of the genre) never wrote swords n sorcery type lyrics.

And for what its worth, I completely shy away from fantasy lyrics when writing for Dark Empire (since a lot of people consider us powermetal). I find it much more interesting (and rewarding) as a writer to write about real topics that I feel strongly about (war, religion, social issues, etc). Granted I've written the occasional horror themed lyric, but typically I like writing about personal things.

Then I wouldn't consider your band powermetal.

Again, how do you define the genre?

And YES, Kamelot I thinik ifs more prog than power!!

What makes you think I care what you think of my credibility?

savabich2 said:
What makes you think I care what you think of my credibility?

Well, you're posting opinions on an Internet message board with the intent of promoting a band, and I'd think you'd want people to think your opinion is actually valid. When you say Kamelot is more prog than power, your opinion magically becomes complete rubbish.

savabich2 said:
Again, how do you define the genre?

I tend to define a genre based on what Im hearing musically moreso than lyrically. To me, powermetal is represented by melodic vocals typically in the higher register, lots of double time drumming, anthemic choruses, typically not on the heavier side, and (with the more symphonic ones) a good deal of synth use. I don't think a band needs to sound like a Helloween clone (or these days a Stratovarius or Rhapsody clone) to be considered powermetal. Death, Cryptopsy, and Hypocrisy are all usually called death metal, yet they don't sound like clones of each other, for example. No one sounds like Blind Guardian yet they're called the leading band in the power genre.