Zecharia Sitchin, Erich von Däniken, and alien theories

Sorry man...did'nt mean to derail your thread and never having heard of these dudes,i'd say their theories hold as much weight as the rest of the fortean researches/professors,i'll have to look into them at some stage.Fortean research is a huge grey area where the majority of scientists won't get involved until there is concrete evidence,even though most will admit that there's alot more than meets the eye or can be calculated through our methods.
edit: if you preffer to just concentrate on these two dudes then maybe you should remove the 'and alien theories' bit from the thread heading.

I don't want the thread to only be a discussion about Sitchin and bon Daniken, but some discussion and opinions about their research would be appreciated. If you're interested in learning about them via wiki, click on the links in the opening posts. Personally, think these two guys are the epitome of Fortean "science".

I definately will man because i love reading about this shit but probably not tonight because i'm half cut and it can be pretty heady stuff,thanx for bringing them to my attention.

Honestly, I think they are evaders of reality. They try to identify a theory of "reality" (which cannot be analyzed) and reduce self evident facts that are broken into components. Metaphysically the studies are much too subjective, have no backbone/identity and there is no validation behind anything they do.

They are Mystics(and I'm using that term lightly) at best.

Without putting to much thought into this tonight as i'm quite drunk,'subjective' is the key word,a few bad hoaxes have'nt helped the reputation of fortean science one iotta,people always remember the swindlers,almost using their doubt as a security blanket but the fact remains.There is weird shit that we don't understand,very interesting stuff :)

Im just amazed that people don't mind being open to "aliens", but will dismiss the idea of "spirit" (or alternate dimension) beings. There really isn't a lot of difference, since neither have been "officially verified".

I think people see aliens as an extension of us or the universe, whether it is completely external or not, it becomes a concrete to them yet inconceivably contradictory. I feel people use the word spirit much too loosely as there is no real clear definition excluding religion and or personal vital principle; I use it referring to consciousness.

Dak, alien and spirit are completely different.

your "spirit" is supernatural whereas alien is belonging or relating to another person, place, or thing, e.g Reality.

Spirit as in ghosts/angels/demons etc.

Again, define ghosts/angels/demons. Are they the mythical creatures referred to in religious texts, or inter-dimensional creatures? Despite being an atheist, I have seen compelling evidence in favor of paranormal activity. I just don't know if it caused by the "soul" or "spirit" of a dead person or if it is just latent psychic energy. My belief leads me to believe the latter, but until we have more evidence and better research, it's all just opinion - kind of like aliens.

I'm just anticipating someone claiming they've seen a ghost soon/ghost stories,:lol:. Who will it be?

It is Halloween, so it doesn't count today. Come out, come out!

Again, define ghosts/angels/demons. Are they the mythical creatures referred to in religious texts, or inter-dimensional creatures? Despite being an atheist, I have seen compelling evidence in favor of paranormal activity. I just don't know if it caused by the "soul" or "spirit" of a dead person or if it is just latent psychic energy. My belief leads me to believe the latter, but until we have more evidence and better research, it's all just opinion - kind of like aliens.

Why can't "both" be the answer?

@Jimmy: My brother and I saw a "ghost" of a recently deceased step-grandfather when we were about 7 and 10 respectivily. Roughly 800 miles away from where he died/was buried and no where near a graveyard. We only saw him a couple of times while he was alive and since we weren't anywhere near where he lived/died there is no "residual energy" arguement.
Haven't seen any since, but I know they exist, whatever they are.

I know if am a ghost am going to haunt the person who haunted me in life.

When it comes to anything extra-terrestrial or paranormal, I'm an ardent skeptic. I don't believe in debunking the unexplained just for the sake of debunking, but there just isn't very good evidence for alien visitation or paranormal activity. I'm actually more wiling to believe in Bigfoot more than I am to believe in aliens and ghosts. I mean, there is actual physical evidence (hair, feces) that has been found in thick forests of a species of a large, unknown ape.

Why can't "both" be the answer?

@Jimmy: My brother and I saw a "ghost" of a recently deceased step-grandfather when we were about 7 and 10 respectivily. Roughly 800 miles away from where he died/was buried and no where near a graveyard. We only saw him a couple of times while he was alive and since we weren't anywhere near where he lived/died there is no "residual energy" arguement.
Haven't seen any since, but I know they exist, whatever they are.

You don't think you being ten has anything to do with this experience conceptually?

and No, you do not "Know" they exist. You believe.

When it comes to anything extra-terrestrial or paranormal, I'm an ardent skeptic. I don't believe in debunking the unexplained just for the sake of debunking, but there just isn't very good evidence for alien visitation or paranormal activity. I'm actually more wiling to believe in Bigfoot more than I am to believe in aliens and ghosts. I mean, there is actual physical evidence (hair, feces) that has been found in thick forests of a species of a large, unknown ape.

extra-terrestrial( based off perceptual reality ) is 100% more plausible than anything paranormal (psychological abstracts)