ZERO HOUR back from Holland and Iceland!

ZHJ&T

Dec 7, 2002
www.zerohourweb.com
Well all I can say is we had an amazing time out in Holland in Iceland. There's nothing better than playing the music you love with some amazingly talented acts and having a bunch of laughs with old and new friends. Our very first time out to Europe was such a great experience and is hard to beat but I might have to say this trip (Being our 4th time out to Europe) was the best one yet.

The first 3 dates we ever played in Europe was The Netherlands and has been a special place for us since the beginning. We have a bunch of friends in Holland who come out to support us and enjoy the music we play. It's easy to say we love Holland and love the Headway Festival for many reasons. The people of P60 are amazing and I want to thank Onno,Freek, Marieke and all the staff at Headway for all their hard work they put fourth towards all the bands and especially the fans of the genre.
Obsidian started out the night and they are a very good band out of Holland. To-Mera who put on an awesome performance and just great people.......Tom, Lee and the rest of the gang YOU RULE! Sun Caged always puts on an awesome show and it was great to talk to Marcel and Paul and catch up with what's going on with the group. The crowd was amazing and want to thank everyone who screamed, sang the songs along with Chris and for supporting Zero Hour with buying some merch. YOU ALL RULE!!! We have made so many friends in Holland and you all know who you are and just want to thank you for always being so great to us. Its always like a big family reunion for us and can't wait to see you all and chat it up again next year.

I want to give a huge thank you to our official booker of Iceland Thorsteinn. I've known Thorsteinn since 2001 and is just a really cool kat. He has been trying to get Zero Hour over to Iceland for about five years now I would have to say. Him and his wonderful girlfriend were just amazing to us and made our experience in Iceland something we will cherish forever. The first show we played was at the Grand Rokk and when we arrived at the Grand Rokk all of the bands were very kind to us and it was a good vibe. First band of the night was Hostile, they did a great job getting the crowd going with some heavy goods and the singer was a really cool kat. Perla was the next act and has a great melodic sound to them. Both of the guitar players were very good in this band and one of the kats is only 19 years old and he's already a fantastic player. Both of the guitar players were extremely nice and I enjoyed talking to them and the crowd really enjoyed them. The next band was Helshare and I have to say these kats were my personal favorite. The crowd went absolutely crazy for these guys and the sound was freaking huge (they play mesa boogie too which is awesome). These guys are the coolest kats and I want to thank Sigurgrimur ( YOU RULE BRO), Gunni (Yes Gunni is a beast behind the kit!) Dolli my shred brutha who is just bad ass(mesa boogie brutha for life). And there's a reason why this guy names comes up last.........Atli is the bass player for Helshare and is that one kat you love about metal. You could tell Atli lives and breathes metal in the purest way and the kat just RULES on all the above. Want to thank all these great bands for playing the show with us and because of you kats we played to a great audience (it was awesome to hang out with the Helshare guys afterwards too).

The show on April 11th was an all ages event and again it was just a kick ass show. The first band I forgot their name and I do apologize but they were a very good band and wish them much success. The next band was "Ask the Slave" and these guys were just fantastic. The singer had a Mike Patton sorta vibe to him and just dug what he does onstage. The whole band was tight and very enjoyable (they would do great in the Bay Area). Now the next band was "Severed Crotch" and what was crazy is that I was told the singer of this band is the younger brother of the singer of Ask the Slaves. These guys were great and destroyed. I really enjoyed their set. Kick ass Death Metal and the drummer was wailing. I want to say the kids in Iceland RULE cause they were head- banging, screaming and we just appreciated their response towards Zero Hour, it was a great way to end our shows in Iceland.

We were lucky enough to get some sightseeing in Iceland. Thorsteinn took us to so many awesome places and if you've never been to Iceland you should take the time and go. Its a very beautiful country with so much to see. On our last day, Thorsteinn took us to the Blue Lagoon and man I could have stayed there all day. Just amazing and just the best way to end our trip. All this and as we departed it was crazy to see Bjork was on the same plane (Troy and I were freaking out). All I can is we will be coming back to Holland and Iceland next year and just looking so forward to it.

http://www.myspace.com/hostiletheband

http://www.myspace.com/musicperla

http://www.myspace.com/helshare

http://www.myspace.com/severedcrotch

If anybody has Ask the Slaves link please add it for us. Thank you.

Have a great weekend everyone and we send you the METAL SIGN!

Jasun

P.S. We are out of long sleeve Zero Hour shirts and our new shirts featuring the cover and back cover of Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond we only have XL and XXL at the moment. We'll be making a few more for next couple of shows. Thank you so much.

The Grand Rokk pictures were taken by Gunnar Viglundsson.

Regarding the pictures from The Cave... they were taken by Thorsteinn's girlfriend. Her name is Hallfridur G. Beck ( her myspace, http://www.myspace.com/raekjan).

Here are some pics:

ZH014.jpg

This was taken after we visited the Blue Lagoon. The guys are standing on some lava, near the entrance to the Lagoon.

ZH013.jpg

This is from right outside the entrance to the lagoon. It really was a beautiful day.

P4100246.JPG

Pic from Mikey’s camera. Now, inside the Lagoon, the guys pose for the camera after having put on some of the Blue Lagoon silica mud mask that is said to have healing powers (the reason many psoriasis patients visit the lagoon regularly). The mud mask develops naturally at the bottom of the lagoon, being silica sediments rich with minerals and good for the skin.

P4100248.JPG

Pic from Mikey’s camera. A fun pose pic

P4100254.JPG

Pic from Mikey’s camera. Standing on a bridge in the freezing cold. This is the price of being famous... hehe

P4100264.JPG

P4100265.JPG

Pic from Mikey’s camera. Flooting in the lagoon water. Here it was me that went on top of that bridge to get these fabulous shots. :)

From the sightseeing trip on Sunday:

A visit to Kerid Volcano:
ZH002.jpg

The Lake in the crater

ZH011.jpg

We're standing on top of the crater looking downwards.

ZH018.jpg

Walking down to the lake. The long haired dude is Atli, the bass player for Helshare, which opened on Saturday at Grand Rokk (the first gig). I'm the Evergrey fan, in case you were wondering...

ZH030.jpg

Guys getting ready to pose for a band photo at the lake of the crater

ZH037.jpg

And the result... (although they are looking at a different camera)

ZH041.jpg

Looking at the results... (if only the guys concentrated that much when playing!, hehe (nah, just kidding))

See next post for more pics...

At Geysir the geyser hot spring area (yep, Iceland has the geyser which named this geological phenomena, namely "Geysir"):

ZH050.jpg

Posing with a viking troll before heading out to the geyser area

ZH054.jpg

Waiting for the geyser to erupt.

ZH062.jpg

And there it goes! Actually, this is another geyser called Strokkur. Old Geysir is in fact dormant for the time being, so its little causin "Strokkur" takes care of the spouting, which it does every 10 minutes or so.

At the waterfall Gullfoss (meaning “The golden waterfall):

ZH074.jpg

This waterfall and the ravine it’s located in were formed in the course of just a few days in a major catastrophic flood. It was during one of the Ice Ages (if I remember correctly) where a volcano erupted under a glacier, resulting in a buildup of a huge water reservoir, finally bursting and flooding towards the see, taking everything with it. The rock in the ravine was much softer than the surrounding area and thus gave way to the immense pressure of the water.

ZH075.jpg

Mikey falling behind getting some cool shots of the waterfall.

ZH079.jpg

A shot down the ravine

ZH082.jpg

The Waterfall up close

ZH083.jpg

and again

ZH080.jpg

and us, standing on a cliff to the side of the waterfall, which during rainy periods gets flooded too by the river.

ZH088.jpg

Posing in front of the waterfall

At Thingvellir (or Þingvellir with Icelandic spelling) the place where the two tectonic plates, which Iceland resides on, are drifting apart. It’s also the site where the first parliament in the world was founded. Thingvellir was also home to the first parliament in the world. Icelandic Vikings began meeting here annually in the 10th century, gathering around a giant rock formation to create new laws and amend previous ones:

ZH096.jpg

Us looking at a map of the southwest corner of Iceland and me explaining what we have seen and where we have driven during the day.

ZH109.jpg

This is tectonic plate drift as clear as it gets. Notice the huge rock wall to the middle-left of the picture. This is the North American Plate. The Eurasian plate is on the other side of the Thingvellir Valley (pictured in the next picture). Because the two plates are drifting apart, the landmass between them is sinking, resulting in the formation of this valley. What I find very interesting to think about is that the valley used to be the level of the ground ending in the abrupt rock wall on the NA plate and you can see the right downward slope of the land that has been torn apart from the rock wall and just to imagine that some eons ago, that slope was level ground... A visit to this place makes one understand a whole lot better how South America and Africa fit together... Of course, Iceland is a relative new land mass in the history of Earth, so our drift hasn’t been as much as the S America - Africa drift...

ZH124.jpg

Looking over the Thingvellir valley. The white house with five roofs (or whatever it’s called, the /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ type house) is a very old house and is actually called Valhöll (Icelandic for Valhalla).

ZH122.jpg

"I once caught a fish this big". Here we are enjoying the view. At this point, people were getting quite cold and wet after the adventure at Gullfoss, so we headed home after this.

ZH126.jpg

Back at home, sitting in my living room (which was turned into living quarters for the guys), relaxing for the lamb roast dinner cooking in my oven...

more pics in next post...

Man those pics are so awesome and reminds me of the amazing time we had in Iceland. BRUTHA THOR YOU JUST RULE MAN and please say hello to the awesome Hallfridur for us.

I send a big SKAL to all my bro's in ICELAND!!!

Jasun

You would totally dig it Kenneth it's awesome kat. I very much look forward to going back to Iceland next year when our new CD is dialed.

YOU RULE KENNETH and you can always hangout with the ZH crew in Iceland.

METAL!!

Jasun