Stimulus Package - What Will You Buy?

It won't happen though. Smart people will save it because it's free money. I'll probably spend a little bit of it, but most of it is going in my IRA as I posted earlier

America is consumer whore central. that shouldn't be a problem.

(@1349, damnit)

polls indicate that most people plan on saving it or paying off debt. over 50%. then the other 50% are split evenly between investing and spending it.

and thats usually how it works. while its true that america was consumer whores, they use their credit card way too much. now most people are in serious debt. they use rebates like this to pay bills
~gR~

polls indicate that most people plan on saving it or paying off debt. over 50%. then the other 50% are split evenly between investing and spending it.

and thats usually how it works. while its true that america was consumer whores, they use their credit card way too much. now most people are in serious debt. they use rebates like this to pay bills
~gR~
I don't have the stats at this moment but I'm near certain that it's a fallacy that "most people are in serious debt." Those stats usually use the mean debt, which can be skewed badly by outliers, or they only factor the mean debt of people who are in debt, and not those with no debt.

'Serious' is also different for everyone. I mean, someone could think being 3K in debt is serious and another person might not. I think that's what you're trying to convey though?

Sometimes very hard.

For instance, I ordered a product last september, costing about £120. I only just recieved the product, and only just been charged for it, which is disgraceful. Now, I was considering splashing out on a graphics card - if I'd ordered it before I was charged for said product, I would have been overdrawn.

I'm a bit annoyed at that since I'd asked for the order to be cancelled and bought a cheaper, crappier version of what I'd ordered (digital camera), but at least I have it now. although I'd have preferred my 3870x2.

The initiative is stupid anyway and it's not like you can trust everyone to use the money by spending it. I might as well gain some interest on the money and have more to spend later

It's a logical fallacy because there's no causation between investing money and being smart.

And way to support the government. This is an economic stimulus package, meaning this is a package given to citizens to stimulate the economy, which means that you should spend the money. The government tried to do this once before I believe, and the same thing happened with most people investing it, which negated any positive effect the admittedly shoddy plan ever had the potential of demonstrating.

It's a logical fallacy because there's no causation between investing money and being smart.

That's not what I was trying to convey. It should have been worded 'If you're smart, you'll invest the money' but it wasn't. Though, people who invest their money are in a better situation than the average American anyway.

and the government should have learned from their mistake the first time. The first time was part of Reaganonmics, right?

I believe it was within the last decade, actually. At least that's what I remember hearing, I would have to look it up to be sure (which I'm too lazy to do).