Stimulus Package - What Will You Buy?

I just found out my parents spent their $1200 on a new laptop.

As for myself, it turns out I get nothing since I haven't paid any income taxes yet in my life.

I find it really amusing that some people here think it's everyone's duty to blow the money they get. Is there even any evidence that this will actually help the economy? Adding 170 billion dollars to our national debt sure the fuck won't.

I find it really amusing that some people here think it's everyone's duty to blow the money they get. Is there even any evidence that this will actually help the economy? Adding 170 billion dollars to our national debt sure the fuck won't.

It sure as fuck won't help the economy if you just put it in your savings account. Increased consumer spending does generally give the economy a short term boost yes, so while this whole plan is pretty retarded it would be better if everyone actually uses the money (or atleast some of it) than if the majority of the population is just going to sit on it.

It sure as fuck won't help the economy if you just put it in your savings account. Increased consumer spending does generally give the economy a short term boost yes, so while this whole plan is pretty retarded it would be better if everyone actually uses the money (or atleast some of it) than if the majority of the population is just going to sit on it.

It won't work because that's just what it is: a short term boost. They should aim to fix it long-term (read: get rid of the Federal Reserve ffs)

o rly

(note how I said that the plan was retarded in that very quote, that still doesn't mean it wouldn't be better for the economy if people did spend the money than if they didn't)

Spending the money is better in the sense that the government will recoup some of the money through various taxes. Local governments also should benefit from this in collecting sales taxes. If you want to believe in some way that you are improving your situation, buy local products and keep your money near where you live.

The government probably wouldn't mind if you spent it on beer, since beer is taxed more highly.

it boosts the economy LDO

Look, you can either:

1) Reinvest this money into the economy, thus having a (most likely) very small overall impact in a positive path

or

2) Invest it in yourself and see your world crumble around you as millions die of starvation in the streets in record numbers.

Choose wisely.

I choose 2

I really think some of you need to learn a bit more about economics and finance before actually saying this is going to help the economy.

So you're saying that if everybody spent their money properly as the government intended, it would have NO impact on the economy whatsoever?