Black Metal Survey

bunny

New Metal Member
Jan 5, 2007
Thank you to you all who had the time to participate in my survey!

I've got nearly 400 answers, and the huge amount surprised me, so I'm forced to take the survey out of the Internet, against my original plans. I'm sorry about the missing of the deadline, so if you missed the survey, I apologize for that.

Again, a big thank you to everyone for participating. After my study is finished, I will post the summary of the study in English in the survey page.

Sini

Black Metal Survey

This is a fantastic survey. I'm actually putting genuine thought into it! Thanks!!

Just to put things in perspective. My definition of the differences between DM and BM (if you disagree you have either not listened to enough of either, or are similarly retarded).

Death metal has focus on the rhythmic aspect; generally, death metal uses a more varied bass/drum aspect, while black metal has the focus on repetition of simplistic (power chord-based, for the most part) guitar phrases, and almost no focus on drumming variation or interesting basswork (BM basswork almost always follows the guitar in a linear phrase).

Also, just to rock the boat...IDEOLOGY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT IS CONSIDERED BLACK METAL OR NOT! Let's say that hypothetically, you found a black metal band with a nondescript or neutral name (not biased towards or against *insert thing commonly lauded in BM here!*), and you did not know their lyrics and could not understand one word. They play black metal based on what you are hearing from them. Then you read the lyric sheet, and it extols Christianity. Are they now doom metal? Death metal? Power metal?! No, they're goddamn fucking black metal, they just have weird lyrical themes that don't seem normal. Believe it or not, it works!

Taken, though I wasn't comfortable answering the question about describing Black Metal to an outsider, so I...didn't.

Taken.

I was surprised with myself that I found it difficult to explain to a newbie "what bm is" when it's easy enough to tell when I actually listen to it. Once you've collected enough surveys would you mind sharing some general info with us (such as what percentage of people cited ideology as an important factor in defining bm)? Also, have you posted this survey on other forums? If you haven't, I suggest doing so since different boards focusing on different kinds of music might have totally different general opinions on the matter. I suggest some of these for a bigger sample of black metal fans on the internet.

Metal-Archives
Metal-Forum
Metal Storm
Metal Hall
Full Moon Productions
Ultimate-Guitar
Seriously Off Topic

Good luck with your paper!

Taken.

I was surprised with myself that I found it difficult to explain to a newbie "what bm is" when it's easy enough to tell when I actually listen to it. Once you've collected enough surveys would you mind sharing some general info with us (such as what percentage of people cited ideology as an important factor in defining bm)? Also, have you posted this survey on other forums? If you haven't, I suggest doing so since different boards focusing on different kinds of music might have totally different general opinions on the matter. I suggest some of these for a bigger sample of black metal fans on the internet.

Metal-Archives
Metal-Forum
Metal Storm
Metal Hall
Full Moon Productions
Ultimate-Guitar
Seriously Off Topic

Good luck with your paper!

Agreed, and add to that list Metal-Rules