Cheers and Jeers IX

I'm not one for sitting but I've got to agree with those that would like to - I watched seats stay empty thru entire sets with coats or bags or whatever in them... came back in for later sets to see same seats still empty and it makes me think 'why the hell did you save the seats if you're not going to watch the shows?'

Only one example, I sat up top for Riverside and I watched thru the entire set more than half a row (I'd say a good 6 - 8 seats) covered in either said white pillowcases or white tees and stay empty thru their entire set... I came back into the venue out of curiousity about an hour later - 1 guy was sitting there out of all those seats...

You want good seats for the event - fine, park it... if you want to go hang out with friends while another band plays, then take all your stuff with you... They are not your seats 'cause you were there first - if you want those seats for the headliner - well looks like you're going to only get up for drink and pee runs... Call it what you will but for those that want to sit - or need to sit because standing to long is bad, you're just "taking up space"..

Honestly, it's really only fair...

next year...those towels are off and my ass is down
that's what we did and we'll do it again next year! if they came back fairly quickly (as if they had just run to the bathroom or to get a drink) i might feel obligated to give them the seat back but we took a saved seat more than twice this year and only once did anyone come back and it was at least 30 minutes after we had been sitting there.

i didn't notice towels or pillow cases holding seats - just bags but i'm completely not surprised.

grow UP people and have some freaking sense! i guess that's too much to ask these days when everyone has such a feeling of entitlement to everything in life :rolleyes:

/rant over - geez ... must have been holding that in -hahaaa

For all the bitching being done, has anyone actually just ignored the person saying "sorry this seat is saved" and just sat their asses down regardless? I mean, what're they going to do? Evict you from the venue?

For all the bitching being done, has anyone actually just ignored the person saying "sorry this seat is saved" and just sat their asses down regardless? I mean, what're they going to do? Evict you from the venue?
See above ;)

And for the record, we were NOT evicted from the venue! :) As a matter of fact, they didn't even say anything when they eventually came back. They picked up their crap and left again. Which really is the thing to do at that point. Right? :)

The ONLY reason to save a seat is if someone is using the bathroom or grabbing a round of drinks. If that person is not back in under 7 minutes- You lose it.

I'd also like to see Gold Badge only seating. ;) - Alright half teasing on that one.

The seat issue is a thing every year...

Oh, one more-

Jeers to whomever decided to call me ROSE this year. That's not my name, never has been. ;)

-MetalRose

I called you that once over the weekend and immediately felt stupid as hell:oops:, because I know that, I usually just call you Metal..hehe :lol: So jeer me all you want I deserve it but at the same time Metalrose is yer screen name so it feels normal to think that. But I have no excuse because I am indeed a dumbass!:lol: Just ask Jax.. :lol:

Cheers:
-Glenn and crew! Love you guys and gals - the lot of ya!
-The bartenders in the Vinyl. They get so much crap every year, but they do work hard considering the number of them vs the number of us.
-The food at the Vinyl! Wow, what a step up this year! One night I had chicken parmesan with spaghetti and garlic bread. It was so much tasty food for the price! Also, the pizza was delicious!
-Great friendships that have lasted years.
-Terrific performances all weekend. This was one of the best PP's all around, in my opinion.
-No smoking in the lobby! Not only did it help my eye allergies, it also helped me know exactly where my friends were when I wanted to find them :lol:

Jeers:
-Only one:
Gotta chime in on the seat-saving b.s.. Normally I like to stand, but a few times I sat in the first few rows and just relaxed. Those aren't very good seats so they are often available. I came in late for JOP and those seats were taken. I also notices the floor was entirely jammed, probably the fullest I'd seen of the whole weekend. I was promptly told not to stand in the aisles or on the stairs. I went to the first row of the top section where there were 4 open seats in the middle of the row. Out of social courtesy, I causally gestured if the seats were saved and I got a gentle little wave of the hand and headshake which I interpreted as "Nah, they're not saved". Since I was in people's way, I just I slung a quick leg over the rail and was about to hop up into the row. Before I could even get up, the guy leaned over with a look of annoyance and his hands up towards the seat. I was instantly pissed at standing there, one leg hanging from a rail, the security guy about to tell me to move again, blocking people's view, and not being able to stand or sit where I wanted to - and this guy has the nerve to stop me from sitting down when clearly the place is packed. I didn't even bother to listen to what he had to say, I knew what it was going to be. I just pulled myself back over the rail, gave him a little "talk to the hand" motion and just walked out, heading towards the other side of the stage. I ended up missing the entire set for other reasons, but I wish I could have just sat down and watched the damn show.

Yeah I probably could have continued to grope around in the dark for a seat, bothering even more people just trying to watch the show, and who will probably tell me the seats are saved. Honestly, after 7 years of this crap, I knew how it was going to be, and just didn't have the patience to deal with it. Next year I'm hope I grow some guts and just sit down anyway. :p

Whew.. I think I feel better just getting that out. :lol:

Towel should go into the audience. Com'on, you move it you lose it. I don't think there is any reason to even hold the seats until the person returns and then move for them. They should have to go though what everyone else does by trying to find a seat.

My 2 cents on the issue…

I’ve noticed that the venue tends to be not as full for the first couple of acts. Personally, I think that if you show up on time and actually watch *all* the bands, you should be able to save a seat for the duration of the day. That way, you don’t have to start the hunt for a seat all over again if you step out in between bands to grab food/drink or visit the vendor room, rest room, etc..

However, I agree that it is NOT cool to save a seat if you know that it will be left empty while there are bands performing.

It doesn't matter if people are in there all day or not, besides who could tell if they were. This just should not happen peroid. And as for just taking someone's "saved" seat regardless what they are saying well that will eventually lead to problems. And I'm the first to admit my temper fires up quick that is why I try to avoid a lot of the pretentious picks at this festival, and there are many, they all are "saving" seats. So Shokkrok it is not a matter of having guts or balls to tell these guys to fuck off. It is the smarter thing to do to avoid the conflict as much as I hated. But something should be done. I suggest not only do these guys rush people of the steps and out of the foorways, they also go and remve these objects savings seats. maybe help direct people.
And not only do people use towels and pillow cases, my girlfriend saw signs. And the next time I see bags of disc saving seats I may just aquire a lot of disc. This is just bullshit plain and simple. And to go back to the gold badge comment (though I know it wasn't a serious suggestion) and the one about people who are their for every band; well why not perfect sitting for the visually impaired? Ok, I wasn't serious but point is if I have to search for a seat with my blind ass stumbling around then everyone should have to. Will I'm done with this now think I should take off for another year now.
Pillow cases on chairs and seeing way to much of "that guy" what's next?

Yeah I probably could have continued to grope around in the dark for a seat, bothering even more people just trying to watch the show, and who will probably tell me the seats are saved. Honestly, after 7 years of this crap, I knew how it was going to be, and just didn't have the patience to deal with it. Next year I'm hope I grow some guts and just sit down anyway. :p

Whew.. I think I feel better just getting that out. :lol:
I had a couple similar situations. After taking photos for the first two songs, I couldn't find a seat anywhere and the security guys were all over me telling me to keep moving. Well, how am I suppose to find a seat when there a tons of random ones open, but ever time you get near them, you get a dirty look and a hand wave off. I ended up standing (on sore feet) in the back of the floor crowd, unable to see. I kept my eye on a couple of the seats I was refused and never saw anyone in them. :mad:

There, I feel better too.

I'm too lazy to fight for a seat. So I usually just climbed up the stairs to the top row.

I have a couple of times. When I was told a seat was saved, I'd say, "Alright, but I'm just going to sit here until the person comes back." Sometimes the person came back right away, other times I'd watch 2-3 bands before the person came back.

Honestly, the ONLY reason to save a seat is for a bathroom run.

-Metal

I have a couple of times. When I was told a seat was saved, I'd say, "Alright, but I'm just going to sit here until the person comes back." Sometimes the person came back right away, other times I'd watch 2-3 bands before the person came back.
-Metal

I think tthis is going to have to become the way to handle this issue, which people have complained about since PPIII. Glenn/The Venue will not (and should not) step in with a policy. They provide seats and standing room. It's up to the masses to work it out.

I think Metal's 'I'll be here until someone returns' is the best way to handle it. No fuss. No muss. No fights. You get up as soon as someone returns and move to a different seat.

Steve in Philly

I think tthis is going to have to become the way to handle this issue, which people have complained about since PPIII. Glenn/The Venue will not (and should not) step in with a policy. They provide seats and standing room. It's up to the masses to work it out.

I think Metal's 'I'll be here until someone returns' is the best way to handle it. No fuss. No muss. No fights. You get up as soon as someone returns and move to a different seat.

Steve in Philly
+1

Steve in Philly

agreed

Speaking of pulling the towels off....
index.cfm