DREAM THEATER - New track to stream June 29 at 11:00 AM EST

Yes, Kevin Moore era FTW!

With that said, I always find something enjoyable with all DT releases. I really like the new song! It's total DT. Melodic, technical enough, and Petrucci put more thought into his solo than he's put in some of their more recent releases. He's been coming back to the old JP more and more after he had his little shred fest on Train of Thought. Though I even liked that album too. I'm looking very forward to the release of this CD! Looks like I'll have some new music to listen to on the drive to Atlanta. :) That and the Arch/Matheos release coming out the same day.

Just tuned into the tracks.

I actually kinda regret saying some of the bad thing i've said about them. This is actually pretty fuckin' good. I say this with having liked very little DT, at all.

Kinda sketchy production, though, esp. on the drums.

lol dude are you kidding? Everything is pre-programmed. The last two Metallica albums, that cost MILLIONS of dollars to make have drum samples/fake drums. Drum production today is bs!

I love the way the drums sounded in the 60's and 70's (maybe early 80's too)...like you were in the room with the drummer while he was playing.

There are some current bands who record the drums this way. Like Black Bonzo...the drums are so awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ranted about this on my show last week, and without getting too much into it here is my quick opinion.

You bring in a beast of a drummer that is no rookie, and can hold his own...you think you would want to show the World..."look at our new drummer he is a beast!"....

Instead you bring him in, don't allow him to create his own drum parts/let loose (Petrucci admitted to pre programming drum parts for him), and then you turn him down in the mix???

Wow. I never thought I'd agree with PowRmadman on anything in my whole life, but damn it just happened. :lol:

Pretty cool setlist from Romania yesterday:

01. Under A Glass Moon
02. These Walls
03. Forsaken
04. Endless Sacrifice
05. Drum Solo
06. The Ytse Jam
07. Peruvian Skies
08. The Great Debate
09. On The Backs Of Angels (new song)
10. Caught In A Web
11. Through My Words
12. Fatal Tragedy
13. The Count Of Tuscany

Encore:

14. Learning To Live

Nope, those are samples on both albums, I know for a fact. Completely quantized and sound replaced after the live takes.

Also I am not sure what you're talking about in the first paragraph, but it seems you're constantly whining/and/or crying about my opinion of drum sounds and modern production etc. First of all, please cry more, please! Second of all, the use of sound replacing even 15 years ago is way different from how it is used now due to pro tools and the like. The whole act of editing, quantizing, sound replacing the whole kit afterwords except for maybe the symbols is shitty to me. Sometimes it works, most times it sounds horribly fake.

So if the recorded performance is spot on but the drummer has a shitty sounding kit at the time, replacing the drums would make it fake?

Any band that goes into any decent studio now days gets (or is at least offered) tons of editing on their drums. Some more-so than others. Some of my favorite drum sounding albums, I know for a fact, are almost all re sampled and worked on, and they sound amazing. Those drummers are amazing and are just trying to utilize today's technologies. Why wouldn't you want a super snare or kick that had the best combined dynamics of 3 different ones? that's just cool.

That's an awesome setlist! I think it was Rome, Italy though not that it matters.

Whoops.

Btw..someone on the Portnoy forum pointed out that not a single song performed had lyrics by Portnoy.

1. Under A Glass Moon - Petrucci
2. These Walls - Petrucci
3. Forsaken - Petrucci
4. Endless Sacrifice - Petrucci
Drum Solo
5. Ytse Jam - Instru
6. Peruvian Skies - Petrucci
7. The Great Debate - Petrucci
8. On the Backs of Angels - Petrucci
9. Caught In A Web - LaBrie/Petrucci
10. Through My Words - Petrucci
11. Fatal Tragedy - Myung
12. The Count of Tuscany - Petrucci
------------------------------
13. Learning to Live - Myung

It'll be interesting to see if they change their setlists on a nightly basis like they used to. That was always a big draw for me and one of the reasons I'd see them more than once on a given tour.

It'll be interesting to see if they change their setlists on a nightly basis like they used to. That was always a big draw for me and one of the reasons I'd see them more than once on a given tour.

I'm guessing you will, but it may be many months before they resume that. Give them a couple large tours and I'm sure it will happen.