Dream Theater Tour Dates Announced

I understand your point... it was some of the other users here that I was directing. Would it have made sense to get a bigger name? Maybe. If I was in DT... Id put whoever I want up there, like it seems they did. They have enough money... its all for fun right now. The money here forward just helps (I think). I think they made a good choice. But what the hell do I know.

Oh, and check yer PMs Miltie

My point was having an opening band that could help spread DT's name even more so. They had a huge year. 6th place in the US Billboard list. Grammy nomination. Incredible recognition. I think they should take advantage of that and look for a band to hit the road with that has a bit more CURRENT wide appeal, such as Coheed and Cambria or others. Use the momentum instead of taking friends on the road. DT will likely not get *any* new fans from this tour. They are a huge name, no doubt. But there's always going to be room for improvement imo.
Instead they are bringing on tour, basically, one of their musical heroes

Am I reading this right....??? there are people complaining about a chance to catch this manifestation of King Crimson in concert? I understand tastes are as varied as individuals... but no one should let this chance go...

mëtålspëd;10253414 said:
Wow... Dream Theater fans are totally fucking ridiculous (I knew this fact, but this thread is a reinforcement). Are some of you really bellyaching about 1.) HAVING an opening band, and 2.) NOT LIKING the opening band. You people are so spoiled.

I don't think anyone's bellyaching in this thread about it at all. Calm down and stop being so mad at the internet.

I've seen Dream Theater about 5 times live. 3 of those were evening-with shows, one of those evening-with shows was the "Score" DVD taping at Radio City Music Hall. If DT is coming out for a show in 2012, it better be something worthwhile or otherwise I'm not interested at this point. Deal with it.

Am I reading this right....??? there are people complaining about a chance to catch this manifestation of King Crimson in concert? I understand tastes are as varied as individuals... but no one should let this chance go...

KC did reunion shows like 2 years ago, I'm not sure what the big deal is here.

This goes out to Milton (mostly) and all of the other young, internet-savvy folks on this forum. Before I begin, I'm not trying to insult anyone here. I'm just trying to show you the logic that you're missing.

For a guy who researches bands to interview them for the ProgPower program, your ignorance on this subject astounds me. One quick look into interviews or online biographies of Dream Theater will tell you that King Crimson was a big influence on them. One quick look on Wikipedia will tell you that the Crimson Projeckt consists of 3/4 of the last lineup of King Crimson (some members going back about 30 years), thus negating the "cover band" tag. Another look into history will tell you that other bands with a large, dedicated fanbase have brought out the bands that have influenced them as opening acts. There's this band that comes to mind called Metallica, for example, who has had more than one of their influences on the road with them: Diamond Head, Mercyful Fate, and Motorhead have all helped shape Metallica's sound, and they have all opened for this juggernaut of a band. Iron Maiden has Alice Cooper opening for them this summer. Ask any member of Iron Maiden who should really be the opening act, and I'll bet you that none of them will say it's them.

Dream Theater did a similar thing three years ago when they asked Zappa Plays Zappa to be their co-headliner for Progressive Nation. Portnoy's philosophy was that each band has its following, and though there are some similar characteristics between the two bands, their respective fans may not have seen those similarities themselves. Therefore, why not make an attempt to share audiences? Since Robert Fripp, the sole remaining original member of King Crimson, refuses to do anything with the band now, the next best thing is to take the rest of the lineup and get them out on the road. King Crimson has a very dedicated, albeit generally older, fanbase, and though the complete lineup would certainly draw an even greater audience, this incarnation is nothing to sneeze at.

Dream Theater already tried bringing a younger band with a growing following to attract the kiddies on their last U.S. tour. Why not go the opposite route for this tour? I don't always like the opening bands that they choose, but I can appreciate the fact that they take different avenues with each tour. Who knows? It could possibly be the reason that they've become a more popular live act over the years!

For those of you who are already dismissing this show just because you don't know the opening act, think about this: you are complaining from the very instrument that can show you whether or not you would actually like the band. The same websites that host songs from the infinitely obscure bands that we discover on a regular basis most likely host songs from a band with a 43-year history. Give them a listen, and I think you'll find that they have more than a bit in common with Dream Theater.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Al, I'm close to 30 bro! :lol:

Now to be fair... you are calling me ignorant on the subject based exclusively on what I said on this forum. I think that's pretty ignorant on your part, not knowing that I've been a Dream Theater fan for about 15 years, have seen them over 15 times (not so much considering it's Dream Theater and how crazy some of the die hards go, lol) and know very, very well who they had as influences in their early days. I think any prog fan who denies King Crimson as an influence to Dream Theater or other prog bands is a lunatic. I have a few King Crimson albums in my collection, and although they're not one of my favorite bands, I would never deny their importance for the genre.

That being said, since A) they're not one of my favorite bands, and B) I am not having to research them to interview them for this year's ProgPower program (and between you and I, I think Greg and I do a good job with them), then I don't think it's surprising that I didn't take the time to go research Crimson Projeckt. Had I known there were a few original members in the lineup (as opposed to just Levin), I would have never called them a cover band. Weapons of Mass Destruction at PP5 wasn't a cover band. So if you want to go ahead and call me ignorant for that band, then yes. I'll totally go ahead and give you that.

However, I will still stand by my point saying that I think Dream Theater needs to capitalize on their recent momentum. As much King Crimson as this Crimson Projeckt is, it is STILL NOT KING CRIMSON. Are you going to tell me that a SAVATAGE show will sell as many tickets as WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION? (Not diminishing the WoMD show at ProgPower nor its importance, but simply stating a fact before people feel that I'm attacking ProgPower USA). Sorry. I think Savatage would sell more (even though WoMD is, essentially Savatage).

Now, when are we going to grow up and stop saying statements such as "bringing bands for the kiddies?" Seriously, I think a lof of the older folks get offended that the "kiddies" bands are selling more and being more popular than their favorites. Curiously, the same way that you're trying to say that King Crimson has a lot more than a bit in common with Dream Theater, I think a lot of the "kiddies" bands do too. But they offer something that Crimson Projeckt may not in this tour... the possibility for new fans.

I agree with being really cool that DT changes things around a bit, and take different avenues with each tour. However, I still think perhaps it would have been better off for them to do one more tour with a band that has a bit of a wider audience to capitalize on the huge year they've had, and then take King Crimson (Projeckt) on the road with them. Just my two cents.

This goes out to Milton (mostly) and all of the other young, internet-savvy folks on this forum. Before I begin, I'm not trying to insult anyone here. I'm just trying to show you the logic that you're missing.

For a guy who researches bands to interview them for the ProgPower program, your ignorance on this subject astounds me. One quick look into interviews or online biographies of Dream Theater will tell you that King Crimson was a big influence on them. One quick look on Wikipedia will tell you that the Crimson Projeckt consists of 3/4 of the last lineup of King Crimson (some members going back about 30 years), thus negating the "cover band" tag. Another look into history will tell you that other bands with a large, dedicated fanbase have brought out the bands that have influenced them as opening acts. There's this band that comes to mind called Metallica, for example, who has had more than one of their influences on the road with them: Diamond Head, Mercyful Fate, and Motorhead have all helped shape Metallica's sound, and they have all opened for this juggernaut of a band. Iron Maiden has Alice Cooper opening for them this summer. Ask any member of Iron Maiden who should really be the opening act, and I'll bet you that none of them will say it's them.

Dream Theater did a similar thing three years ago when they asked Zappa Plays Zappa to be their co-headliner for Progressive Nation. Portnoy's philosophy was that each band has its following, and though there are some similar characteristics between the two bands, their respective fans may not have seen those similarities themselves. Therefore, why not make an attempt to share audiences? Since Robert Fripp, the sole remaining original member of King Crimson, refuses to do anything with the band now, the next best thing is to take the rest of the lineup and get them out on the road. King Crimson has a very dedicated, albeit generally older, fanbase, and though the complete lineup would certainly draw an even greater audience, this incarnation is nothing to sneeze at.

Dream Theater already tried bringing a younger band with a growing following to attract the kiddies on their last U.S. tour. Why not go the opposite route for this tour? I don't always like the opening bands that they choose, but I can appreciate the fact that they take different avenues with each tour. Who knows? It could possibly be the reason that they've become a more popular live act over the years!

For those of you who are already dismissing this show just because you don't know the opening act, think about this: you are complaining from the very instrument that can show you whether or not you would actually like the band. The same websites that host songs from the infinitely obscure bands that we discover on a regular basis most likely host songs from a band with a 43-year history. Give them a listen, and I think you'll find that they have more than a bit in common with Dream Theater.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

tl;dr metal nerd buttmad and writes essay about it on the internet. Holy shit, do you not get that people have varying opinions? And also lol at thinking someone who interviews bands has to care about every band in the universe.

Will fans of Levin and/or Belew (if they aren't currently DT fans) stick around for the entire DT set? My experience at the ProgNation tour was that the older Zappa fanbase left en masse about two songs into DT's set.

I'm almost certainly going to the Rochester show; wondering who(if?) will open for the first few dates...

Crimson Projeckt is, it is STILL NOT KING CRIMSON.

It's funny, these dudes who are getting seriously buttmad about "NOT DOING UR RESEARCH" seem to have forgotten about King Crimson's reunion shows about 2 years ago and they didn't go by this stupid "Projeckt" moniker. Oh gee I wonder why? Here's a hint, no Robert Fripp = no King Crimson.

So stop crying just because not everyone wants to see this band live. Nobody's bellyaching or whining. I said it was kinda whack, a few other people wished for a different opener, but if you call that whining then the internet is clearly not the right place for you to be.

These shows would still sell out, or get close to it, if a kazoo player opened. It must be nice to have the luxury to watch one of your favorite bands ever (or the closest thing to it) night after night after night. They've brought out noobs for the past few tours ffs.

MARILLION are touring the US this summer already. I am driving to the PHILLY show (from NC) for it. Already have my ticket! I have never seen Marillion live and i have been a fan since '85. so this is going to be a treat!! Once again, F*** Dream Theater for NEVER EVER booking shows in NC.

However, I will still stand by my point saying that I think Dream Theater needs to capitalize on their recent momentum.

I'm not sure why you want Dream Theater to be bigger than they are. IMO, they are about as big as I want them to be right now. Any bigger, and they will be playing crappy venues like the Verizon Center.

In any case, I've seen Dream Theater so many times that it is more about who they are touring with than the band itself. I've seen them co-headline with Queensryche and Yes, and open for Iron Maiden.

As much King Crimson as this Crimson Projeckt is, it is STILL NOT KING CRIMSON. Are you going to tell me that a SAVATAGE show will sell as many tickets as WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION? (Not diminishing the WoMD show at ProgPower nor its importance, but simply stating a fact before people feel that I'm attacking ProgPower USA). Sorry. I think Savatage would sell more (even though WoMD is, essentially Savatage).

The only reason why it isn't King Crimson is that Robert Fripp isn't with them. Considering that Fripp has basically retired, that isn't going to happen. So, the Crimson offshoots that have been playing out (Stick Men, The Adrian Belew Trio and this) are basically Crimson at it stands right now.

I think a point to be made by your comments above is that people make too much out of a name. Would Savatage sell better than WMD, or Jon Oliva's Pain or Circle II Circle? Yes. And that's pretty sad from the fanbase, IMO.

Now, when are we going to grow up and stop saying statements such as "bringing bands for the kiddies?" Seriously, I think a lof of the older folks get offended that the "kiddies" bands are selling more and being more popular than their favorites. Curiously, the same way that you're trying to say that King Crimson has a lot more than a bit in common with Dream Theater, I think a lot of the "kiddies" bands do too. But they offer something that Crimson Projeckt may not in this tour... the possibility for new fans.

As I said before, Dream Theater has plenty of fans. How about we go the other way and introduce bands to Dream Theater fans? Personally, I don't see this being much different from Tool asking King Crimson to open for them. I so would have gone to that show if it had come anywhere near me.

I agree with being really cool that DT changes things around a bit, and take different avenues with each tour. However, I still think perhaps it would have been better off for them to do one more tour with a band that has a bit of a wider audience to capitalize on the huge year they've had, and then take King Crimson (Projeckt) on the road with them. Just my two cents.

They toured with Iron Maiden last year. It doesn't get much bigger than that.

I much rather see the band tour with someone they want to expose people to than tour with a band just to increase their brand.

euleria said:
Will fans of Levin and/or Belew (if they aren't currently DT fans) stick around for the entire DT set? My experience at the ProgNation tour was that the older Zappa fanbase left en masse about two songs into DT's set.

Probably less so than the Zappa crowd, but this is less about fans of Crimson and more about exposing DT fans to Crimson.

Milton (you young near-30-year-old, you),

I appreciate your further elaboration on the subject. As I stated in my last post, I wasn't trying to insult you at all. I brought up your interviews because I really enjoy them. I read every interview in the ProgPower programs whether I like the band or not because you and Greg handle them in a very professional manner. The point you made about name recognition, though somewhat upsetting from a hardcore fan's standpoint, is absolutely right.

However, I think TheLongshot explained my view better than I could. Dream Theater's rise in popularity has been a slow and steady one, and perhaps their method of touring is the best way for them to go. The key to their success is their ability to play with so many different types of bands while still hitting it off with the audience. I've seen them play with everyone from Deep Purple (the forefathers of hard rock) to Yes (one of the biggest and oldest progressive rock bands around) to Megadeth (one of the most popular 80s metal bands around) to Trivium (an up-and-coming metal act that appeals to the Hot Topic crowd), and they've either held their own on stage extremely well or gained some new fans in the crowd. The fact that they can share the stage with such diverse acts and continue to broaden their fanbase proves that they're doing something right. If anything, I wish they would lend a hand to one of the many bands that have played ProgPower and take them out on the road.

As for you, AeonicSlumber, the last Crimson tour happened four years ago. Though it still hasn't been ages since then, it didn't exactly happen just yesterday. You know, the more I think about it, the less the internet is a place for me. I don't post on this forum nearly as much as I used to, and a lot of that has to do with immature posters who hide behind screen names and use such intelligent terms as "buttmad" to get their points across. Almost everybody on this forum knows who I am. However, you like to keep your anonymity. I wonder why?

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

MARILLION are touring the US this summer already. I am driving to the PHILLY show (from NC) for it. Already have my ticket! I have never seen Marillion live and i have been a fan since '85. so this is going to be a treat!! Once again, F*** Dream Theater for NEVER EVER booking shows in NC.

Get real, when do ANY bands at that level come to NC? 90% of the tours I've wanted to see this year have skipped the state, some the entire southeast. Blame their booking agent.

Yeah really. Enough crying about bands that don't book shows somewhere. It's not up to them. And oh yeah, DT played Asheville in 2009. So never isn't quite so true. :fu:

Yeah really. Enough crying about bands that don't book shows somewhere. It's not up to them. And oh yeah, DT played Asheville in 2009. So never isn't quite so true. :fu:

yeah a REAL city in NC. hahahaha. ;)

also, it's not only up to the booking agent. booking agents are responsible for booking dates but any person in the band can say "hey, we haven't played Charlotte, NC in awhile we should try and work that into our routing" yes, it's that simple.

but again, DT members only seem to feign concern for what their fans actually want from them.

Get real, when do ANY bands at that level come to NC? 90% of the tours I've wanted to see this year have skipped the state, some the entire southeast. Blame their booking agent.

Doesn't make it right, does it? Maybe you can be content with your favorite bands skipping this area and not saying anything but i don't. i have been pissed at Maiden for years, but now they are coming to Charlotte this summer. so they are crossed off the list. haha.