has the magic of metal faded for you over the years?

^ pink floyd is like that for me

it just gathers more significance and nostalgia value the more I listen to it

Having been into metal for barely three years, I;m nowhere near a point where I could say the "magic" has faded by any degree. There are quite a few genres I'm either not into yet or I've barely scratched the surface of, so there's tons of material, classics upon classics among them, that are waiting to be discovered by me.

I suppose that's one advantage to being a late-comer to metal. Not only do you have the current releases to get excited over, you have thousands of albums covering over 25 years to fall back upon whenever the current output isn't enough, which at my rate requires me to keep up with the old and the new. It's win-win.
i
I totally agree, seeing as I have only been into metal for about a year.

I know exactly what you mean, I think I was 11 or 12 when I first saw the Megadeth video for Wake Up Dead on the original headbangers ball, and it was very powerful to me, the energy and anger. I went to the local record store the next day and bought Peace Sells and Anthrax's Spreading the Disease and from the first spin(yes they were records) I was hooked. Growing up my friends and I would search the city for any thrash metal we could find and import magazines like Kerrang and Metal Forces and read about all of the bands in Europe as well as American favorites like Slayer, Death, Exodus, etc. Also, because of this music I started playing guitar and playing in bands. About when I was 18 or so I had the opportunity to play support to some national acts like Cannibal Corpse, Nuclear Assault, Anthrax, and some others lost in the blur and the "magical" part was replaced by, for lack of a better word, brotherhood like feeling when I got to meet these and bands and hang/get f*cked up with them. Since I stopped playing in bands and the years rolled on (now 32) that feeling has faded, although the memories bring me back to a great time. I still love the music but dont really feel anything overly special anymore. After witnessing the near death of extreme metal at the hands of grunge I am very glad its back

I must admit, I miss the feeling of dread I got when I first started listening to Metal. I remember listening to Rob Zombie when I was 14 and feeling intimidated by it all. But I kept listening to it. I remember the first time I heard Cannibal Corpse and I just couldn't believe anything could be that brutal.

Now it's all very normal to me. I even go to sleep listening to Deathgrind or Drone sometimes, and I don't flinch at all at the most extreme Death Metal anymore.

A shame, really. But I still enjoy it all immensely, and get a buzz out of playing it really loud (which isn't very often, due to everyone else hating it).

Like everybody, yes and no. I don't get the same feelings that I got the first times I listened to (in chronological order, starting in elementary school) 'Ride the Lightning,' Iced Earth's 'Night of the Stormrider,' Dying Fetus' 'Destroy the Opposition' and Behemoth's 'Satanica' but about a year ago I was introduced to Pelican's 'The Fire in Our Throats...' and that opened up the whole post-metal/metalgaze sub-genre for me the ways that those other albums opened up their respective sub-genres. I had listened to other stuff like those albums beforehand, but those were the ones that really lit a fire under my ass or gave me 'holy shit' moments.

So I guess it's not the exact same thrill of 'evil' music hitting my innocent ears like it was back in middle and high school. It's equally intense magic in a different sense when this 'gazer' music hits my stoned ears.

Isn't it just. I think it's the biggest right now that it has been since the mid to late 80's.

I think so, and I dont see it fading like it did back then, The internet is to powerful a medium. Back then it was MTV driven mostly--scenes would die from no exposure.

There were so many different aspects of life, society, friends, etc that made black metal special for me back when I started getting into it and through the eight, nine years that followed, I don't think it will ever be the same...

Like everybody, yes and no. I don't get the same feelings that I got the first times I listened to (in chronological order, starting in elementary school) 'Ride the Lightning,' Iced Earth's 'Night of the Stormrider,' Dying Fetus' 'Destroy the Opposition' and Behemoth's 'Satanica' but about a year ago I was introduced to Pelican's 'The Fire in Our Throats...' and that opened up the whole post-metal/metalgaze sub-genre for me the ways that those other albums opened up their respective sub-genres. I had listened to other stuff like those albums beforehand, but those were the ones that really lit a fire under my ass or gave me 'holy shit' moments.

It's weird with "post-metal", because I've never had any real qualms with Isis, Pelican, Red Sparrowes, Jesu or other such bands (as I own a number of records by those bands and do enjoy some of their post-rock predecessors---Godspeed You Black Emperor maybe?). In fact, in my dissatisfaction with so much of what I hear from the rest of the metal world, I've often assumed that this is what I'd end up spending more of my time getting into.

But it hasn't worked out that way. Those bands definitely have their place, and I always love bands like Neurosis who heavily influenced that style. But they're missing a lot of the over-the-top obnoxiousness that got me into metal to begin with, and I never seem to tire of that mentality. I mean Christ, I've spent the last week listening to a ton of goregrind, a style I figured I would have been bored with by now, 7-8 years after first hearing it. I dunno, maybe it's just that I don't even listen to music as much as I once did.