has the magic of metal faded for you over the years?

'Has the Magic of Metal faded for you over the years?'

Yes. Especially after living in a fundamentalist christian family, during that time listening to metal was alot more extreme, it had more of an edge because I knew that my parents would throw my albums away if I ever let them see the cover-art or even read the lyrics. After I moved out, the edge died down, but it was good, it motivated me to look deeper in the genre(s), and now I find new bands everyday... so the cliche edge that I loved did die down, but in the end it was a good thing.

I´d like to say I´m the opposite, I´ve been listening to metal for about 7 years now and I still get excited by alot of bands, just yesterday I heard The Forsaken for the first time and I feelt a feeling that I can´t explain, the music was so fucking good and touched me in various ways that I can´t explain either, I´d say I´m the opposite I can still feel excitement about music, maby not the mystique that yours talking about but I don´t know if I ever feelt that way about music.. but in other ways.

Ive only been into metal for about a year so its still freshly magical to me.

I remember the first time i heard cannibal corpse it sent shivers down my spine.

and then there was In the Nightside Eclipse by Emperor which just blew me away, everything about it was astonishing.

yess, metal forever :kickass:

I think that for some albums the magic has faded, mostly the stuff that got me into metal - Metallica, Megadeth, Rage Against The Machine...but for metal in general? NEVER. I do kind of miss the days when I owned less than 10 metal albums and I would sit there listening to them, staring at the liner notes, memorizing the lyrics, and so on. Now I have several hundred albums (mostly good) and about 2 weeks worth of music. I generally aquire 2 new albums a week. So it's not possible to give each album that kind of attention. However, the ones that really blow me away - most recently, Behemoth - Demigod and Elvenking - The Scythe - get played over and over again, while the rest - mostly my swelling collection of Iron Maiden side projects - get almost no attention (Although for those who know what I'm talking about, Tyranny of Souls was pretty decent).

Alright, here's something I've been thinking about for a while. I feel that as the years go by the original excitement I had for metal has faded away in a certain sense. It's not that I don't still love metal music or that it doesn't excite me in any way but it seems that metal has lost a lot of the original mystique that it had when I was first getting into it. Let me clarify by giving some historical background.

The first black metal album I ever heard was De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas by Mayhem. This was a hugely significant album for me because before that I had only explored thrash metal, heavy metal, a tiny bit of death metal, and I was, well, 11 years old. This album was seriously the most fucked up, dark, frightening thing I had ever heard. And when I looked at the cd insert and saw the picture of Euronymous I thought "This is not some guy who gets up in the morning and eats his Cheerios; this is some kind of seriously demented person." Extreme metal as a whole and black metal in particular had this kind of aura of mystery and esotericism that surrounded it which made it seem strangely fascinating, exotic, and dangerous. Add to this the fact that I got into metal before the advent of filesharing, so I couldn't simply get on my computer and hear whatever I wanted to hear. A lot of the fun of the whole thing was going out and hunting down these strange, obscure albums in the used racks that apparently nobody but I knew about.

Now, given my age, I no longer view this music as conjured from the depths of hell, nor do I regard the musicians making it as anything but people very much like myself; guys who sat for hours in their bedrooms coming up with riffs. Plus it's so easy for me to hear any music that I want to hear these days that there's really no excitement in the search for this kind of music anymore (to defuse any controversy about filesharing I should make it clear that I only sample music through said means, then I buy what I think will be worthwhile). But De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas still evokes a particular feeling in me that I can't really describe. It's the same feeling I had when I first heard it, only tempered by age and maturity.

So what I'd like to know is if anybody has had a similar experience. Has metal lost that mystique that it originally had? Did it ever have that to begin with for any of you? What are some really important metal albums for you personally and do they still evoke the same kinds of feeling in you that they did when you first heard them?

This reminds me when I first heard "Funeral Fog" from De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas whenI was 17. I felt vaguely disturbed by it. I'm not too much of a black metal album but that's one of my favourites.

Yes, the magic I feel for is it isn't dead but it is more rare now since I have been listening to it so much for around 6 years. I do feel it when listening to Slayer and what not, but I do takes breaks from metal. And I'm busy with other things nowadays.

I've been debating this with myself lately, because I found myself thinking that I haven't found an album that gives me the tingle down the spine for quite some time now, perhaps since the last Agalloch album came out. I regularly acquire a mix of old and new albums. I'm just hoping it's coincidence and I've been having a bad run and things will pick up soon.

Having been into metal for barely three years, I;m nowhere near a point where I could say the "magic" has faded by any degree. There are quite a few genres I'm either not into yet or I've barely scratched the surface of, so there's tons of material, classics upon classics among them, that are waiting to be discovered by me.

I suppose that's one advantage to being a late-comer to metal. Not only do you have the current releases to get excited over, you have thousands of albums covering over 25 years to fall back upon whenever the current output isn't enough, which at my rate requires me to keep up with the old and the new. It's win-win.

Simple answer: No.

longer answer: To some small extent, but I don't think it really matters to me since I discover a bunch of new bands that excite me each week.
How do you find new groups each week!!!??? dammit VVVVvvvvVVzz!!! Show me ur wyayzzzzc

I never really get tired of metal, ive been listening to some of the same bands for years. Sometimes Ill find a new band and fit them in like a puzzle. Never to leave my ears.

listening to metal has started to fade, but playing metal is a rebirth for me. I used to play it a lot, now i have this craving to learn how to shred and make punishing riffs again.

Not really, I just find myself getting tired of certain albums and songs if I listne to them too much, but upon listnening to Burzum's Jesus's Tod a couple weeks ago, a song I hadnt heard in 6 months, I realized the same feelings the first time I heard it, that sure, you'll get tired of songs, but if you put them away for a while, and come back and listen again later on, youll realized what drove you to it in the first place. Case in point, Emperor's INTE and Anthems records, I've listened the fuck out of these CD's to the point I'm tired of them, despite them being great records, but I'll pull them out and keep listneing whenever I dont feel tired of hearing them anymote, same with Morbid Angel's Covenant and Deicide's The Stench of Redemption. I dont see myself listneing to any other subgenre any other time, Rap and Nu Metal just dont do it for me anymore, I honestly used to like all that bouncy crunk music but now when I listen to it now I'm like "What's so good about this?" I guess large amounts of Extreme Metal have changed my views on music in general, and the phase music of my adolenscence no longer appeals to me, but I dont see Extreme Metal being a phase at all, what the hell am I going to listne to? :lol: I've invested hours in making extreme metal music, be it guitar, learning vocal techniques, etc... It makes me enjoy and appreciate music more than I ever would and has made me take the trash music out of my life. :)

Alright, here's something I've been thinking about for a while. I feel that as the years go by the original excitement I had for metal has faded away in a certain sense. It's not that I don't still love metal music or that it doesn't excite me in any way but it seems that metal has lost a lot of the original mystique that it had when I was first getting into it. Let me clarify by giving some historical background.

The first black metal album I ever heard was De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas by Mayhem. This was a hugely significant album for me because before that I had only explored thrash metal, heavy metal, a tiny bit of death metal, and I was, well, 11 years old. This album was seriously the most fucked up, dark, frightening thing I had ever heard. And when I looked at the cd insert and saw the picture of Euronymous I thought "This is not some guy who gets up in the morning and eats his Cheerios; this is some kind of seriously demented person." Extreme metal as a whole and black metal in particular had this kind of aura of mystery and esotericism that surrounded it which made it seem strangely fascinating, exotic, and dangerous. Add to this the fact that I got into metal before the advent of filesharing, so I couldn't simply get on my computer and hear whatever I wanted to hear. A lot of the fun of the whole thing was going out and hunting down these strange, obscure albums in the used racks that apparently nobody but I knew about.

Now, given my age, I no longer view this music as conjured from the depths of hell, nor do I regard the musicians making it as anything but people very much like myself; guys who sat for hours in their bedrooms coming up with riffs. Plus it's so easy for me to hear any music that I want to hear these days that there's really no excitement in the search for this kind of music anymore (to defuse any controversy about filesharing I should make it clear that I only sample music through said means, then I buy what I think will be worthwhile). But De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas still evokes a particular feeling in me that I can't really describe. It's the same feeling I had when I first heard it, only tempered by age and maturity.

So what I'd like to know is if anybody has had a similar experience. Has metal lost that mystique that it originally had? Did it ever have that to begin with for any of you? What are some really important metal albums for you personally and do they still evoke the same kinds of feeling in you that they did when you first heard them?

yes metal has lost some of its charm and mystique but this is true of any kind of music i listen to which is why i always need to keep things fresh and try new styles/groups/composers i haven't explored. i mean i still love albums like Reign in Blood but they no longer blow me away...

I never said I was burned out on it. :p I got a huge fucking list of CD's to get...in my mind, wouldve been a good list to type up if I had someone like a girlfriend to get me something for Christmas. :lol: Because obviously Mom and Dad arent going to get me Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam or Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia.

Some shit just never loses its magic...case in point, Cirith Ungol. A song like Maybe That's Why never fails to give me goosebumps.