Iron Maiden in NJ/Philly (some spoilers)

DarkOne

Black Belt in Sarcasm
May 2, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
Just home from the show:

* The set list was exactly the same as Hartford - the entire new album, plus 5 older songs.

* The band put on a heck of a show - they are still Maiden, after all.

* The new album is great, but there was definitely a lull halfway through. People were enjoying it, but when the album finished and Fear of the Dark started playing, the entire crowd came alive.

* Dickinson didn't say a word (other than singing) through the first 4 songs. We didn't get a "Scream for me, Philadelphia" until the last song before the encore.

* Dickinson can still sing. He might not be the same singer he was 20 years ago, but he still has a great voice.

* Someone on the boards once termed Janick Gers a "prancing unicorn". It still cracks me up. The other members are all making metal poses, and he's doing the leprechaun jig.

* We didn't get the giant inflatable tank. Bruce said there was an electrical problem. Man, that sucks.

* We still got Eddie!

* I can't wait for the Powerslave tour.

Steve in Philly

I was there too. It was a great show, made me appreciate the new album in whole new ways.

Janick was funny but it was cool to see him so hyped up and Eddie rocked the fucking house!

Everything was great with the exception of the opening band, damn emo crap.

TBJ said:
I was there too. It was a great show, made me appreciate the new album in whole new ways.

I agree, even though it's still a new album, the show really brought it "to life".

TBJ said:
Everything was great with the exception of the opening band, damn emo crap.

Skipped them completely.

All in all, a great show, well worth the 10 or so hours of driving to get there. I thought the sound was good, though Bruce's vocals were a little inconsistent.

Force10 said:
I agree, even though it's still a new album, the show really brought it "to life".

Skipped them completely.

All in all, a great show, well worth the 10 or so hours of driving to get there. I thought the sound was good, though Bruce's vocals were a little inconsistent.

Agreed on both accounts. - I had only listened to the new album a few times before the show, but really loved it. The show just made me love it that much more. I've been listening to a burn, now I'm going to go out and buy the album.

Skipped the opener - had no interest.

As far as Bruce's vocals being inconsistent, that sounded to me like more of a sound/technical issue. I personally thought Bruce sounded great, but there were a few times, when it sounded like the guy at the board fell asleep. There was a good bit of feedback going on that night, more than I think I've heard at any other live (professional) show.

I was surprisingly happy that they played the whole new album and a selection of other great songs that weren't all big "hits." It really annoyed me that the group of guys that was sitting behind us kept yelling for shit like Number of the Beast and The Trooper, even after the lights and the "get the fuck out" music came on. I mean, I'd only seen Maiden 2 times before this show and I've heard both of those songs enough. Give the band a break and let them play something different. As Nick (DemonoftheWoods) put it to me when I mentioned my initial dissapoitment upon hearing that Maiden would be playing the entire new album, "They are a touring band, not a hits band. When they tour a new album, they play a large amount from that album."
I'm really glad that Maiden opperates that way. I didn't think I would be, but now (especially after hearing those guys behind us bitch) I can't help but think, if you're a real Maiden fan, you'll be happy no matter what they play, especially if they are not just playing the same old shit (used loosely) that they've play a million times before.

I'm really looking forward to the next tour and I'm hoping that they'll play alot of stuff I've never heard live before.

* Someone on the boards once termed Janick Gers a "prancing unicorn". It still cracks me up. The other members are all making metal poses, and he's doing the leprechaun jig.

The leprechaun jig....lol...That's Janick alright..But he still rocks. :danceboy:

To Force10:
we got there a little late, so we only got to see the last song. we were very glad we skipped them. I cant stand this vanilla pseudo metal that people love so much these days. its like metal for dummies or something, i mean, why dont people just listen to the original bands instead of this watered down crap made specifically for american teeny-boppers?

To Black Rose:

Totally agree with you. Bear in mind this was my first maiden experience, so at first i was a little dissapointed when i heard that they wouldnt play "teh hits". my mind quickly changed when i was able to appreciate these awesome, heavy, deep and powerful new songs live, plus we got a bonus at the end with all the older songs.
Cant ask for more and cant wait to see them again.

To Mloanna:
Janick rocks, I've never seen someone so energetic and all out crazy while playing the songs to perfection. btw, that goes out to the whole fucking band.
These guys are almost twice my age and they have more stamina than i'll ever hope to have!!

No-Mercy said:
they were fuckin "Bullet For My Valentine" and played for about a half hour.

How was the reception for these guys? Not exactly a good match. Were they booed? Were the kids into them at all? Or, did people just kinda ignore them?

I'm going to the Chicago show tomorrow night and want to make sure that I'm not missing anything by skipping them...

I saw the show at the Meadowlands Friday. It was GREAT!

I am torn to say it was better than their last tour (the GIVE THEM ED TILL THEIR DEAD our) that I saw just before the last CD, DANCE OF DEATH, came out.

That tour was the best concert I have ever seen, period. This show was as good for sure. I'd say it was better if they DIDN'T perform the whole new CD. But everything else was better.

BTW the arena was pretty full

Hey I remember 4 of the 5 non-new songs they did. Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden, Two Minutes to Midnight, and Hallowed be thy Name. The fifth song is escaping me. Can anyone remind me what the other song was?

Thanks

P.S.- Bullet for my valentine was OK. Decent. Not a match but hey it was metal at least.

MEFlyingV said:
I saw the show at the Meadowlands Friday. It was GREAT!

I am torn to say it was better than their last tour (the GIVE THEM ED TILL THEIR DEAD our) that I saw just before the last CD, DANCE OF DEATH, came out.

That tour was the best concert I have ever seen, period. This show was as good for sure. I'd say it was better if they DIDN'T perform the whole new CD. But everything else was better.

BTW the arena was pretty full

Hey I remember 4 of the 5 non-new songs they did. Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden, Two Minutes to Midnight, and Hallowed be thy Name. The fifth song is escaping me. Can anyone remind me what the other song was?

Thanks

P.S.- Bullet for my valentine was OK. Decent. Not a match but hey it was metal at least.

Was it "The Evil That Men Do"?

KingsGene said:
How was the reception for these guys? Not exactly a good match. Were they booed? Were the kids into them at all? Or, did people just kinda ignore them?

I'm going to the Chicago show tomorrow night and want to make sure that I'm not missing anything by skipping them...

they weren't really booed, weren't "those" kind of assholes there. but they were kind of just ignored. there were a few pockets of kids my age who were into them is all.