Kat. Live

Ozzloaf

Art Geek
Jun 14, 2008
Hey guys,
How is Katatonia live? There have been a few bands that I've seen that are better Live than on the records, and some bands that I love their recorded music but was really disappointed by their concerts.
Thanks,
Jake

They're usually very good. Often comes down to the setlist for me

This and the sound. At Hellfest (and I'm gonna guess at lots of out door gigs) it didn't work nearly as well imo as in a club. I feel the same way with most softer rock/metal orientated bands though.

This and the sound. At Hellfest (and I'm gonna guess at lots of out door gigs) it didn't work nearly as well imo as in a club. I feel the same way with most softer rock/metal orientated bands though.
But the fact that they played Without God AND Murder more than made up for that, definitely one of the best Kata-experiences for me.

Anyway, I don't think Katatonia are particularly a live band, I think their music generally comes across better on record. But I have seen several great Katatonia gigs, so they're definitely a good live band, there should be no doubt to go see them when you can.

seek yer way in towards the middle and stand right in front of the mixing table/tower and voila, thats the sweet spot!
unfortunately, nothing comes close to that. being upfront is kool and all, but only if u can accept a crappy stagesound (which we always have to endure) dominating the PA mix. if yer at the show to go crazy, the front's for u! but if yer there to chill and listen, go greet the front of house engineer and hand him a beer!

seek yer way in towards the middle and stand right in front of the mixing table/tower and voila, thats the sweet spot!
unfortunately, nothing comes close to that. being upfront is kool and all, but only if u can accept a crappy stagesound (which we always have to endure) dominating the PA mix. if yer at the show to go crazy, the front's for u! but if yer there to chill and listen, go greet the front of house engineer and hand him a beer!

I totally agree. At the Melloboat fest me and my friends were sat right in front of the mixxing desk for Opeth and Katatonia. :headbang:

Bleh should have told me that before Kuopio Rock gig so I would have definatetly gone there :( the sounds wasnt that great at the front. Oh well, better luck next time

If you hand it to him óver the mixing table some sound loss may occur :rolleyes:

When i love a band sooooo fucking much i tend to "ignore" the mistakes and problems there may be when they play live, so the crappiest gig ever will always be wonderful for me.

Dude, the sound was fantastic on Hellfest, except My Dying Bride maybe.

How drunk were you? :lol:

I was near the FOH, so that can't be the reason^^
Each and every other Katatonia-Gig I've seen before sounded a million times better ;)
Almost every band had the guitars and bassdrum WAY too loud and the vocals too quiet, unfortunately...
Other than that it was a very, very nice festival of course.

Whatever, it's OT, so yes, Katatonia are awesome live, one of a few bands that manage to catch that special vibe on stage.

Honestly I wasn't that drunk, the bands I watched all sounded really excellent, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Morbid Angel, At the Gates, Katatonia, Anathema, Satyricon all sounded fine to good or really good, I could hear everything really well. Except My Dying Bride, they had too much low frequences which pushed away the guitars.

Honestly I wasn't that drunk, the bands I watched all sounded really excellent, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Morbid Angel, At the Gates, Katatonia, Anathema, Satyricon all sounded fine to good or really good, I could hear everything really well. Except My Dying Bride, they had too much low frequences which pushed away the guitars.

Hmm, that's weird, guess we have different ideas of what sounds good then ;)