Metal Masters Kickoff Review - Priest and Sabbath in Philly

DarkOne

Black Belt in Sarcasm
May 2, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
Some quick thoughts on the Metal Masters kickoff tour in Camden, NJ. Sorry, but I didn't take a set list for the first two. I was being lazy for Testament, and have trouble ID'ing all the Motorhead songs.

Testament - a heavy opener. They sounded good. I like the new album, and they got only 30 minutes, but did they have to pretty much ignored the 1980's? I don't recall anything from 'Practice What You Preach'. No Over the Wall. No Electric Crown. No Apocalyptic City. No Souls of Black. Wow. Still, Billy and the band played hard for their short time, and it was good to see them again.

Motorhead
- 45 minutes. They sounded, well, just like Motorhead. Just like Dickinson, Dio, etc, I count Lemmy among the old vocalists that still sounds the same as he did in the 80's. Of course, for Lemmy, that's a bad thing. MH did their thing, and Ace of Spades brought the house down. I'm not a huge fan, but I like them in short bursts, and tonight was fun. The great thing about a MH show: if you don't like a song, 3 minutes later it'll be over. Cool to see them again.

Black Sabb . . . I mean, Heaven and Hell: just like their 2007 tour, they were great. Maybe not as tight as last year, but still very good, and Dio . .. What the hell can you say about the guy? He keeps shrinking, but the voice goes on. Kudos also for a very cool set: cemetery gates, scary trees, big gargoyle things - very metal! They played for about 75 minutes.

**Set List**
Mob Rules
Children of the Sea
I
Sign of the Southern Cross
Ear in the Wall
Horror of horrors: a drum solo!
Time Machine
Falling off the edge of the world
Die Young
Heaven and Hell
(No encore)

Judas Priest: (don't know the names from the new album). Very tight! JP sounded great. I couldn't tell it was the first show of the tour (they've been touring lately, but this kicked off the MM fest). Halford sounded great too, even if some small bushy rodent did crawl up on his chin and die. Not a lot of energy out of Rob at first, but the voice is still awesome. He can still belt them out, and he pepped up a little as the show went on. I liked the set list - there was a good mix for 90 minutes.

Prophecy?
Metal Gods
Eat Me Alive
Between the Hammer and the Anvil
Devil's child
Breaking the Law
The Hell Patrol
Dissident Agressor
Angel
Hellion/Electric Eye
Rock Hard, Rock Free
Painkiller
**** Encore ***
Hell Bent for Leather
The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown)
You’ve Got Another Thing Coming

Other thoughts from the evening:

Lots of old people here (me included). Not surprising, given that the bands are probably mostly in their 50's. I saw fewer young'uns than I did at the two Iron Maiden shows this year, but there were still a few wholesome family outings with Moms, Dads, and little ones. Cool to keep the music going over the generations. I thank Guitar Hero (and Rock Band) for a huge amount of that popularity.

I'm almost getting used top $40 for t-shirts (I don't buy 'em at that price, but I'm used to seeing it). However, $35 for a plain black baseball cap with the band name on the front is out and out robbery. I wouldn't have bought one either way, but can't they even pretend to not want to screw you?

It was a well run fest. Only 30 minutes between sets. I was thankful for that, since it was a work night.

All in all, a great night of old school metal.

Steve in Philly

I was there too. It was indeed fucking awesome! Got a LOT of photos. I should have some posted by the end of the day and then I'll add a link here. Wow, it really lived up to the name Metal Masters. They were ALL THAT! Dio still reigns supreme as on of the nicest rock star you could ever meet.

I saw this tour on the second night and pretty much echo everything Dark One has already stated.

Testament did play Practice What You Preach and Over The Wall in Virginia though.

Motorhead surprised me for sure! I've never been a fan of the band, but watching Mikey Dee was just a treat! :worship: I'd put the dude up against any drummer out there. He is a metal god in my book. :worship:

Heaven & Hell gave me what I came for, simple as that. With that said, I was surprised at how good RJD sounded live. I know that he's been doing this "forever", but this was my first time seeing him in person.

Judas Priest, again gave me what I came for. They put on a very tight show, playing some of their hits plus mixing in some hidden gems. For example they played Hell Patrol and Between the Hammer and the Anvil from Painkiller.

In conclusion, this tour is a great value for what you're buying, which is a ticket to see four top tier, veteran bands that can still deliver past their prime. :headbang:

~Brian~

I'll be driving in from Columbus OH for the Pittsburgh show, can't wait!

Anyone know the set times?

Testament started pretty much on time (it was billed for 5:30 in Philly) and played for 30 mins.

25 minute changeover

Motorhead - 45 mins.

30 minute changeover

H & H - 75 mins (and over ten of that was the song H&H itself)

30 minute changeover

JP - 90 mins.

They finished promptly before 11:00 pm (due to noise ordinances, I assume). This was a well run on time event, so don't be late.

Steve in Philly

They finished promptly before 11:00 pm (due to noise ordinances, I assume). This was a well run on time event, so don't be late.

Steve in Philly

It worked like a well oiled machine for sure. I'm a working man, so these shows that go into the wee hours of the morning suck! :lol: I might get flamed for this, but hopefully the last night of ProgPower this year won't last friggin' forever. Last year about killed me with having to drive back the next day etc. I would love for each night to end by 11:30 or 12:00, but I know that's impossible for this fest.

~Brian~

Once again, why they left ATL off the tour is beyond me. Any educated guesses?

I remember asking the same question one time. Glenn chimed in saying something to the effect of there's one company/group that basically has the final say about what tours come to the large venues in Atlanta. If that group/company doesn't think a tour is a "money maker" then they won't bring it in. I guess they don't see the Metal Masters tour as a "money maker". That reason is beyond my comprehension as well, but I'm a metal fan too.

~Brian~

Testament was kind enough to schedule a headlining gig in Worcester, MA last night (on their day off).... and they were awesome as usual. I want to say they played for an hour and a half or so. Got a bunch of classics, mixed in with some of the new songs. All good in my book!

I'll be at the show on the 27th. I work for the catering company and I hope to hell I can catch a break and go out front to watch Testament. I don't mind missing MH or H&H (since I saw them 4 times last year-plus a couple of time in the 70's ;) ) and I know I'll be done for JP. :headbang: