Metal stereotypes

Daybreaker

Red, Hot, and Heavy
Jul 6, 2002
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
Heres an interesting topic I think:

What metal stereotypes have you actually encountered? Example: I'm the true metalhead stereotype to the hilt. I wear denim and leather everyday, (evein if the leather is my biker boots in the summer it still counts), have long flowing hair and wear band shirts everday. I scream Metal from a mile away.

Also, I've encountered several other genre 'types as well. I remember at Prog Power laughing hysterically at this arguement between two Prog guys on who knew the most music theory out of the two of them. It was hilarious.

Then there was this one time I ran into this one super goth guy that took me all restraint to kick his ass. He kept staring at me at the mall so I just kinda went hey man real lightly, and then I swear I thought he was gonna cry.

anyways, post yours.

Ben

Are you asking what stereotypes I have encountered or which is most prevalent? Well, I have encountered them all so that would be a long list.

As far as the most prevalent one, that would be that all Metalheads are dumbshits.
While that is definitely NOT true, I have met too many to count for their level of moronity. You know, the ones that drink too much, have mullets, and just scream, "DUUUUUUUUUUUUDEEEEEEE!!"

That is pretty Metal. :headbang:

Daybreaker said:
Also, I've encountered several other genre 'types as well. I remember at Prog Power laughing hysterically at this arguement between two Prog guys on who knew the most music theory out of the two of them. It was hilarious.

Yeah I was one of those guys. LOL! I was arguing with this kid about something that he obviously hadn't the slightest clue, yet he wanted to argue with me. I think it was about metric modulation. I think he was arguing that the bpm doesn't change when you metrically modulate from simple to compound time and vice versa.

Hey Dargor, that's pretty sad man. there was some Black Metal guy that I used to know that was the same way, Id ask what band it was he was playing, "If you werent such a fag you would know"

Noah, oh yea! Wasnt that arguement around the party at 306 late Fri night? I dont remember too much about what happened after I got back to the hotel.

Ben

MajorRager said:
Yeah I was one of those guys. LOL! I was arguing with this kid about something that he obviously hadn't the slightest clue, yet he wanted to argue with me. I think it was about metric modulation. I think he was arguing that the bpm doesn't change when you metrically modulate from simple to compound time and vice versa.

Wow...who was the kid?

dargormudshark said:
It's kind of funny how some metal bands think alike because my band and Pyramaze both have a song called Legend and it's based off the movie....Damn! I thought that was an original idea. Well, ours is longer :D

What is the name of your band? When I was at the Headbanger's Ballroom in Germany last month I heard a song about a Unicorn there too. I guess Unicorns are a hot item these days haha. :Spin:
-j

dargormudshark said:
It's kind of funny how some metal bands think alike because my band and Pyramaze both have a song called Legend and it's based off the movie....Damn! I thought that was an original idea. Well, ours is longer :D

Hey dude! That really is funny man! But i guess it's not too weird though, if you think about how many metal bands there are out there. It would be strange if we could just go on writing lyrics forever without sometimes treating the same issues. It's the same with the music itself. I once came up with this sweet riff, and then before i actually got to make a song out of it, i heard this other band playing almost exactly the same. Sucks of course - but what can you do. What is the name of your band, and do you have a record deal?

:devil:

PyramazeGuitar said:
Hey dude! That really is funny man! But i guess it's not too weird though, if you think about how many metal bands there are out there. It would be strange if we could just go on writing lyrics forever without sometimes treating the same issues. It's the same with the music itself. I once came up with this sweet riff, and then before i actually got to make a song out of it, i heard this other band playing almost exactly the same. Sucks of course - but what can you do. What is the name of your band, and do you have a record deal?

:devil:

Our band name is Dreamspace, we're not signed. We don't have a full band yet we are still looking for a singer and keyboardist. It looks like we may be able to get Kelly Carpenter from Outworld to sing on the demo and a friend of ours who is like a Keith Emerson/Jordon Rudess clone to play keyboards on it. We should have a bunch of demos to hand out at Progpower next year...hopefully.

pyramazekeyboardist said:
What is the name of your band? When I was at the Headbanger's Ballroom in Germany last month I heard a song about a Unicorn there too. I guess Unicorns are a hot item these days haha. :Spin:
-j

I only wish I could play any gig over there in Europe but considering I am 16 and live in Houston that's kind of a tricky thing to shoot for

dargormudshark said:
I remember beore Adagio went on me and Yngvai x (matt moliti) were arguing who the first metal band was...if adagio wouln't of come on there would of been a World War 3 at progpower :loco:

You know Matt? I'm going to be playing bass on his album. Jens Carlsson from Persuader is doing the vocals! It's gonna be killer!
http://www.mattmoliti.com