Ode to Nirvana

You know, I am not a huge Nirvana fan or anything. As a matter of fact, I own none of their cd's. But that is not because Cobain's vision was bad or irrelevant, rather, it just did not appeal to my tastes. That being said, I think that Nirvana is indeed a vital turning point for pop music. Actually, for music in general, as he expressed overwhelming emotion, through abstract verbiage. I could almost align Opeth with this vision. As far as a great vision, and total honesty, I think that Opeth and Nirvana share many parallels.

Katatonic said:
14.jpg

That isn't him, is it.

Yea that isnt cobain. His arms look to big. Cobain was like 100 lbs. But ahh well. I'm sure the man changed the lives of many pop teeny boppers. Gave them a sense of understanding. Someone to relate to. But that's as far as his legacy goes. I own one nirvana cd. It isn't bad. But it's far from being groundbreaking or way paving. Nirvana songs annoy the fuck out of for the most part. (For the exception of smells like teen spirit, heart shaped box) And all musicianship aside... Take a look at cobain's lyrics. Absofuckinglotely horrid! What is this man trying to say? Let's all cry with candle in hand at the weak minded heroin addict who could'nt cope with fame.

Hehe, so much Nirvana/Cobain hatred here.

Man, I own all of their cd's. There was a time before I got into metal that this was my favourite band ever. I listened to Nirvana, Bush, Moist and SIlverchair - and Michael Jackson (yep, actually owned all his cd's too.) The only other artist I own ALL cd's too is, of course, the one and only Opeth...

Anyway, the point is...Nirvana IS, WAS a great band. They're nothing to me like they were in the past, but things change. "Teen Spirit", Aneurysm, On A Plain and Rape Me are still listenablesongs IMO. Cobain had an ear for melody, and it was apparent in his songs. Simple, yet effective. It shows you don't have to be the greatest guitarist to create a great song.

Also, I would just like to say that I strongly believe, or rather, would like to believe that Kurt didn't take his own life. Sure he pointed the gun at himself in images, sung about suicide and was generally screwed up, I still don't think he did it. "Love" had something up her sleeve...I read about this case and like someone else has stated, I'm fairly convinced of this. He was most-likely murdered, so no one should speak shit of him when no one really knows what exactly has happened. This must have been a pretty damn good cover-up, that's all I gotta say.

In the end, Kurt was great, end of story. He achieved good things, even though success is not something he wanted.

Demonspell said:
No disprespect towards Kurt and his fans, but I think he did far more harm to music than good (i.e. perpetuating the ethic of amateur musicianship as a virtue.)
Ummm are you serious? you wanker!
Because of Kurt, so mant kids have picked up instruments and gone on making music, EXPRESSING THEM SELFS which is is the most important thing in music and in life... People don´t have to be athletes at instruments to be able to express themself, music isn´t just progressice rock operas in 5/4 7/4 12/8 or any other elitist meters. Jesus, the most disincouraging thing for kids that want to be able to play instruments and expressing themself are stupid wankering musicians... I'd pick Kurt over Malmsteen any day altough I don´t really like Nirvana. Ass.

AllWithinMyMonster said:
I own one nirvana cd. It isn't bad. But it's far from being groundbreaking or way paving.
What do you mean... history has proved it be be groundbreaking and way paving, it´s not my oppinion but it´s a fact!

Mayh said:
What do you mean... history has proved it be be groundbreaking and way paving, it´s not my oppinion but it´s a fact!

History has proven? Its fact? Who say's? Mtv said it was groundbreaking so all the lil kiddies believe it to be true? It's cock rock. They're not even the best of their genre my friend. I'd take soundgarden or alice in chains over nerdvana any day. Stfu and go watch road rules you silly lil twit!

Let's take a look at some of the bands lyrics shall we?

I Hate Myself And Want to Die

Runny nose and runny yolk
Even if you have a cold still
You can cough on me again
I still havent had my fulfill

In the someday what's that sound?

Broken heart and broken bones
Think of how a castrated horse feels
One more quirky cliche'd phrase
You're the one I wanna refill

- Spoken interlude in middle -

Runny nose and runny yolk
Even if you have a cold still
You can cough on me again
I still havent had my fulfill

Most people don't realize
That two large pieces of coral,
Painted brown, and attached to his skull
With common wood screws can make a child look like a deer

How is this groundbreaking?

Even their most acclaimed song smells like teen spirit. Makes absolutely no sense lyrically.

Load up on guns and bring your friends
It's fun to lose and to pretend
She's over bored and self assured
Oh no, I know a dirty word

Hello, hello, hello, how low Hello, hello, hello!

With the lights out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
Yay!

I'm worse at what I do best
And for this gift I feel blessed
Our little group has always been
And always will until the end

A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My Libido
Yay!

And I forget just why I taste
Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile
I found it hard, it was hard to find
Oh well, whatever, nevermind

A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido

A Denial

And that's the song that makes the most sense of the lot.

Songs like mexican seafood, school, and this song moist vagina? Wtf!

uhhhh...
She has a moist vagina
I particularly enjoy the circumference
I'll be sucking the warts off her anus (Alt: The circular walls of her anus)

Marijuana

I prefer her to any other

Marijuana

She had a moist vagina
I prefered her to any other

Marijuana
uhhhh...

Absolutely horrid! :ill: The rest of their songs are along the same lines. The music itself isn't groundbreaking. The music is :erk: . Take away the music, lyrics and what do you have left? Kurt Cobain crying about how life sucks! Groundbreaking is a good term though. Seeing as though he paved the way for cry babies for many years to come. :err:

All cobain fans should follow in their leader's footsteps.
nutkick.gif

Mayh said:
Ummm are you serious? you wanker!
Because of Kurt, so mant kids have picked up instruments and gone on making music, EXPRESSING THEM SELFS which is is the most important thing in music and in life... People don´t have to be athletes at instruments to be able to express themself, music isn´t just progressice rock operas in 5/4 7/4 12/8 or any other elitist meters. Jesus, the most disincouraging thing for kids that want to be able to play instruments and expressing themself are stupid wankering musicians... I'd pick Kurt over Malmsteen any day altough I don´t really like Nirvana. Ass.
Yea, and those kid's turned out to be..Linkin park, limp bizkit, Crazy town, etc. I agree with what Mikael says on the DVD, it's always been important to me that musicians should be able to know how to play their instruments. It's all very well being able to express yourself, but when "musicians" make millions of dollar, or any extortionate amount that cashes in on the populous with 3 chords, while underground musicians who can really play and are doing something fresh are struggling to make a living - then it becomes an issue. Music is a profession. In any other profession one is expected to be professional and skillful, why should music be any different? If you we're hiring somone to be a plumber, would you hire an experienced plumber who is skillfull in his trade, or go for a plumber who doesn't know a wrench from a screwdriver? Or to a more drastic case, say you were in an accident. Would you want a skillful doctor to operate on you, or an amateur doctor who'll just cut you up with a steak knife and operate with a toothpick?

I know that music is subjective, and everyone has different tastes. But I agree with Demonspell. It seems that the ethic of being an amateur musician and never striving for anything more has become a clique. If you want to be a musician in the vein of Nirvana, good on you! There's no problem with amateur musicianship or banging out a few hard punk songs, but people should be content in playing in the underground music scene and in small clubs. Nirvana played in larger venues than most musicians could ever dream of playing. I'm not slating Nirvana, as much as I'm using them as an ambassador for all the other bands that base themselves on the same ethic. It's not the fault of Nirvana. And it's not the fault of the fans. It's the fault of cash hungry record executives and the media, exploiting the teenage angst filled lyrical content and attitude, in the knowing that it will appeal to a massive audience. This is where the real tragedy lies, not in the death of Kurt Cobain - though his death is an important event as it highlights the consequences of giving such a small town kid such extortionate fame and wealth. Kurt didn't kill himself, the world did, and those responsible - The media, record executives and all the large cogs in the system.

AllWithinMyMonster said:
How is his death a tradgedy? He killed his fucking own self!!!!!! He didn't get murdered! It wasn't a freak accident! He wasn't dying of a life threatening illness! He took the pussy road and killed his ownself (...) /QUOTE]

yeah, these cowardly pathetic suicidal idiots that take the pussy road... yeah, it's so easy to judge isn't it :rolleyes:?

About Nirvana, everybody as said a good amount of reasons why they are good and/or bad... MTV creation or not.. as most genres are before being dispatched to oblivion or as we say... underground. Nirvana did something many and many skillful bands can't do... songs with 4 chords with emotion and attitude, you can play your solos, do your scales and get the most complex words out of the dictionary... if you don't commit with your art 120%, its value is nullified.

Nirvana will be here forever, because they cause controversy, and people that can't ignore merely add to their popularity.

enough said.

I dislike empty flash as much as anybody, but I think the idea of purposely imposing limitations upon yourself goes against what I value in music. Maybe it's because I just can't stand apathetic people. There is no excuse for not striving to be more than just simply competent in whatever field you pursue.

LoboUivante said:
AllWithinMyMonster said:
How is his death a tradgedy? He killed his fucking own self!!!!!! He didn't get murdered! It wasn't a freak accident! He wasn't dying of a life threatening illness! He took the pussy road and killed his ownself (...) /QUOTE]

yeah, these cowardly pathetic suicidal idiots that take the pussy road... yeah, it's so easy to judge isn't it :rolleyes:?

About Nirvana, everybody as said a good amount of reasons why they are good and/or bad... MTV creation or not.. as most genres are before being dispatched to oblivion or as we say... underground. Nirvana did something many and many skillful bands can't do... songs with 4 chords with emotion and attitude, you can play your solos, do your scales and get the most complex words out of the dictionary... if you don't commit with your art 120%, its value is nullified.

Nirvana will be here forever, because they cause controversy, and people that can't ignore merely add to their popularity.

enough said.
I Agree 100% man

Demonspell said:
Maybe it's because I just can't stand apathetic people. There is no excuse for not striving to be more than just simply competent in whatever field you pursue.
Too fucken right. Contentment leads to stagnation. I hate people who dont strive for something better, regardless of what it is.