PPUSA Day 1 Headliner Announcement! (update 11/16)

Dragonforce!!!!!!! Thank you so much for this. I missed them when they came through Austin because I was out of the country and thought that was my only chance to see them. You really bailed me out on this one. So much for day 1 line up, now just one more headliner on day 2 to go. It will be a very long 2 weeks.

I don't think you have to worry about just DragonForce only fans buying up all the tickets. I mean really are they that nuts to pay $120 for one band? I don't think so.

As far as the pick it's great. I'm not a power metal fan and even I like watching these guys. I've paid to see them twice just for the sheer over the top cheeziness. True story. It'll be fun. :)

As far as the pick it's great. I'm not a power metal fan and even I like watching these guys. I've paid to see them twice just for the sheer over the top cheeziness. True story. It'll be fun. :)

I don't like them. Never have. But I can definitely say that they are great showmen who put on a fantastic show. I saw them open for Kamelot on the last tour and was thoroughly entertained by the show even though I don't care about their music at all.

The major curve ball has been thrown,everyone expeciting a big time prog band headlining

Impressive. ..
Also not a fan as to me every song sounds the same,but like others have said,very fun live and the ultimate power metal act. .

Now we wonder what Hitler s favorite band is,Dragonforce or the Thurs night headliner

Am I the only one scratching my head at this choice?? Not a Dragonforce fan but congrats to those that are

I'm curious why would you be confused by this? DF is a longtime stalwart of outright happy power metal. Bringing them to a headline slot at PPUSA, particularly an opening day, seems like a no brainer to me.

I like DragonForce a lot. But since I saw them earlier in the year with Kamelot and will be seeing them again in a few weeks again with Kamelot, I was kind of hoping for someone who I don't get to see as frequently. That said they are a very entertaining band and if you haven't seen them before you are in for a big treat.

I'm curious why would you be confused by this? DF is a longtime stalwart of outright happy power metal. Bringing them to a headline slot at PPUSA, particularly an opening day, seems like a no brainer to me.

Dragonforce doesn't impress me as the type of band that had a lot of star power or draw power. Considering they are only an opening band on the current US Tour with Kamelot. I'm like some of the other fans on the forum that have said their music is boring and a lot of the songs sound the the same.

That said, I have seen them before and dont deny they are a tight live band...just not what I was personally hoping for out of a headliner.

Congrats to the band though...there are a lot of people excited to see them and I'm happy for them.

Personal perception of a band can get in the way of an objective look at true marketability and actual numbers.

I don't think folks realize the intent of the tour with Kamelot. Dragonforce have sold more records in the U.S. than anyone else on the roster thanks to the explosion of Guitar Hero. Ultra Beatdown was a Top 20 record. They blew up in popularity and essentially skipped the underground club circuit as we know it. Do folks not remember their headlining tours previously in much larger venues than the current tour is currently booked with Kamelot? Hell, they played the Tabernacle in Atlanta previously (same venue that Dream Theater plays when they come through town).

The music scene is brutal. Dragonforce have had to adjust things once the fans that blew them up left them because they were never the true metal scene in the first place. This tour is allowing them to establish themselves back with the actual metal fans that were cynical of their mainstream success. It's a brilliant long-term strategy. The response on this tour seems to support that.

Personal perception of a band can get in the way of an objective look at true marketability and actual numbers.

I don't think folks realize the intent of the tour with Kamelot. Dragonforce have sold more records in the U.S. than anyone else on the roster thanks to the explosion of Guitar Hero. Ultra Beatdown was a Top 20 record. They blew up in popularity and essentially skipped the underground club circuit as we know it. Do folks not remember their headlining tours previously in much larger venues than the current tour is currently booked with Kamelot? Hell, they played the Tabernacle in Atlanta previously (same venue that Dream Theater plays when they come through town).

The music scene is brutal. Dragonforce have had to adjust things once the fans that blew them up left them because they were never the true metal scene in the first place. This tour is allowing them to establish themselves back with the actual metal fans that were cynical of their mainstream success. It's a brilliant long-term strategy. The response on this tour seems to support that.

Thanks for saving me the time typing all that up. :)

I'll be blunt... you don't need to like it, but don't be a dick about it.

-M

Thank you for your explanation Glenn. I didnt mean any disrespect and I certainly didnt mean to come across as a dick. I've been coming to ProgPower off and on since #2 and have been a long times supporter of metal. That doesnt mean I'm a "know it all" but was in my own way expressing my surprise at the choice. I know everyone has put a lot of hard work into maintaining this festival and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the work you do to keep the festival fresh and entertaining while still trying the get the maximum draw year and year out. The fact that you sold out in less than half a day is testament to the work your doing. I hope you have as much success in selling out the Wed/Thurs show.

Did not expect this at all.

I've said this before about Dragonforce - I'm not a fan of their recorded material and will probably never buy a record of theirs (at the same time, I received a copy of their debut album the day it came out from some promo website a long, long time ago, so I've known of them for quite some time) but they're a phenomenal live show.

I'm still thinking of going VIP for both these days.