ProgPower USA XII Roster Discussion

Update: After taking in listens from each band's myspace (of those I already didn't know) I would say that in terms of having the most bands I enjoy, this has the possibility to be the best one yet for me. The only band I really don't like at all is Red Circuit. All the rest I'm pretty psyched about and am eager in the coming months to get into their material.

Really cool lineup in the sense that a LOT of the bands i see here being petitioned to play this are finally getting their shot
(Dream Evil,Mob Rules,ect)

This is a joke, right? :(

Labyrinth is quite honestly the only band on that roster I truly want to see. Shame that the first year I'd actually be able to afford going, I will be choosing to sit out.

I honestly never thought I'd get a chance to While Heaven Wept live in concert. Thier release Of Empires Forlorn is in my opinion one of the top doom releases of all time.

Therion is one of my favorite bands to. This definately calls for a return trip to Atlanta!!!

The only band I really don't like at all is Red Circuit.

And this is IMHO my personal favorite. So I guess different strokes for different folks, huh? :lol: Seriously, this is a kick ass lineup. Major kudos to Glenn.

Like Steve said earlier in this thread, we put in sponsor bids for Eldtritch and (we think) Mob Rules as well. (have to check when we get home!) We're stoked once again to at least have somewhat of a clue what Glenn may choose.. (well, at least one band out of a zillion, right?)

Oh and Therion... who would have thought THEY would be back? Didn't they lose money on their last North American tour? Figured they'd never be back just because it wasn't worth it financial wise?

This is the best lineup I've seen for a ProgPower. I was listening to Arcturus the other day and thought that I'd love to see them in the US. This makes my day. Therion, While Heaven Wept, Dream Evil, Sanctuary, Eldritch and Mob Rules make this a definite first day ticket purchase for me.

I've attended every Progpower since Progpower II. This has been the worst initial line-up for me in terms of bands I already know I love - only 2 out of 12 (Dream Evil and Eldritch) so I have to say that the video announcement this year was a huge letdown and disappointing. However, I know that I'll discover some new favorites and hopefully was selected as a Dream Evil sponsor!

I will do my absolute best to be there next year...I don't know what I'm gonna have to do but i'll do it damnit! Ya never really understand how much PPUSA means to you until you miss it after being there for several years in a row! Bummed after gettin several texts from my dad last night giving me updates about broken drum pedals and crazy frontmen.

Ok I wanted to complain about the line up, but I had the night to sleep on it, and there are six bands that I am excited about, thats half the roster! Then there are about 2-3 bands that I have never heard.

Where I think people are having problems with this line up is in the Headliners. Both headliners are what I would call hit or miss bands, and this is the first time Glenn has done that.

So after letting it settle I am looking forward to next year, I will be here.

Props to Glenn for getting Voyager.

This is the best lineup I've seen for a ProgPower. I was listening to Arcturus the other day and thought that I'd love to see them in the US. This makes my day.

Heh, it isn't even a matter of them making it over to the US, really. It's a matter of them even being a band...this is their reunion. This is huge....you think the Euro fests would have had the first shot. I mean, it was kind of expected that they would eventually get back together with all this Dimmu mess (and that's actually why I predicted them in the contest thread) but for PP to be Arcturus's first announced show is GREAT publicity.

Hellhammer makes it over to ProgPower!

Also, for those who don't like Arcturus, their guitarist is Tore Moren from Jorn's band, so at least it'll be a familiar face.

I give it 3 weeks until all the haters suddenly approve of them because Glenn chose them for the fest...

Here's my personal breakdown:

Creation's End - I like Mike DiMeo and like the samples I heard. Good choice of opener, hope the band will be tight.
Voyager - Excellent choice, I discovered them a few months ago and love their stuff. Stoked about this band.
Eldritch - I need to hear more of these guys. I have one of their albums and honestly I didn't pay much attention. Will have to revisit.
Mob Rules - Same as Eldritch.
Arcturus - Intrigued and excited at the same time. Love to see an oddball band get such high slot. I will probably be watching their whole set.
Sanctuary - As Simon pointed out, it has the potential of being great or being a disappointment. I hope that Warrel's voice is on that night, and if it is, it's going to slay!!

Haken - Checked it out and it's honestly a bit much on the prog side for me. Will revisit as I plan on doing with all bands.
While Heavn Wept - Big question mark for me. I just checked their stuff on Myspace and it's interesting.
Red Circuit - Have checked it out before and it didn't do much for me. It'll get another chance.
Labyrinth - Finally! Looking forward very much to this.
Dream Evil - Unless a miracle happens, this will be my dinner band.
Therion - I like them, but I feel like this year there isn't a headliner that I love. Of course I should watch them.

Any recommendations on Eldritch and While Heaven Wept?

Heh, it isn't even a matter of them making it over to the US, really. It's a matter of them even being a band...this is their reunion. This is huge....you think the Euro fests would have had the first shot. I mean, it was kind of expected that they would eventually get back together with all this Dimmu mess (and that's actually why I predicted them in the contest thread) but for PP to be Arcturus's first announced show is GREAT publicity.
+1000

I know there had been rumors of a reunion, but for Glenn to be able to put a press release on Monday or whenever he does it, saying he has 1) Arcturus's first confirmed reunion show, 2) Therion for a 2011 US exclusive and 3) a reformed Sanctuary, that's huge from a name recognition standpoint and will generate interest from a lot of people who may have heard of ProgPower, but aren't super familiar with it.

Business exposure aside, I'm tremendously excited to see Arcturus. I completely see why Glenn said there would be a lot of "WTF??" responses to them, but I think it's a great choice.

Creation's End - I like Mike DiMeo and like the samples I heard. Good choice of opener, hope the band will be tight.

Woah, cool, I didn't know that. Couldn't find any info about them on M-A last night and didn't really pursue any further. I actually really like Riot so that's good news.