So Who's Celebrating Thanksgiving with Blind Guardian?

Oh my God RELAX people!!!!!!!! I remember the times that everything was closed on Thanksgiving. Those were good times. Unfortunately my large extended family is spread across three states and we can only fully get together for the big holidays. If I personally had the choice between a concert and a family get together it would be family no question- no thought. That is my situation. Some of you are lucky and live a lot closer and your situation differs. I do know this that there will be far less people there than the Hammerfall/ Edguy show and they should just cancel the show as it is a national holiday. Only my opinion.

The_Q said:
Oh my God RELAX people!!!!!!!! I remember the times that everything was closed on Thanksgiving. Those were good times. Unfortunately my large extended family is spread across three states and we can only fully get together for the big holidays. If I personally had the choice between a concert and a family get together it would be family no question- no thought. That is my situation. Some of you are lucky and live a lot closer and your situation differs. I do know this that there will be far less people there than the Hammerfall/ Edguy show and they should just cancel the show as it is a national holiday. Only my opinion.

Should all concerts be cancelled on Memorial Day? New Years? 4th of July? They are all national holidays, and some of the biggest concert nights of the year. If not, and if concerts should only be cancelled on Thanksgiving, shouldn't all those football games be cancelled too? Or is there a moral difference between attending a sports event and a musical event on Thanksgiving?
In addition, did it not occure to you that Blind Guardian won't take the stage until about 10pm or later. That should give almost anyone time to do both Thanksgiving and the show.
You're entitled to your opinion Q, but most don't appreciate your condecending attitude.

The_Q said:
they should just cancel the show as it is a national holiday. Only my opinion.

LMAO whatever dude... :lol::lol::lol:

And by the way, your comment about the Hammerfall/Edguy show, this is all I have to say to you...

:lol: :lol:

The_Q said:

They should make not gorging yourself on turkey illegal too! Seriously, the nerve of these people, to have a show on a day where you might want to do something else! They should cancel shows when somebody has a birthday too!

Braxil said:
They should make not gorging yourself on turkey illegal too! Seriously, the nerve of these people, to have a show on a day where you might want to do something else! They should cancel shows when somebody has a birthday too!

DEFINITELY!!! Or if ANYBODY IN AMERICA has ANYTHING ELSE to do that same night!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

they played in Austin at the Back Room on Thanksgiving night. As you'll recall, SymohonyX opened. I was at my in-laws in Austin, and quiely excused myself to go see SX. I did not know BG's music at the time so I did not stay for their set. Maybe 125 people were there.

Th next night in Dallas was much better. About 1000 and I stayed for BG. I, along with my sons, are now big fans and are anxiously awaiting the show in December. Not playing in Dallas this time around - why not? they are playing Austin again - so we'll travel to Houston.

When a band like BG comes, go see em, whether it is Thanksgiving or whatever.

The_Q said:

You really dont know what you are talking about. The show will be packed. Look at how well movie theaters do now in Thanksgiving. I remember years back that everything was closed. It wasnt until the movie chains started opening up giving people something to do after eating. I remember going with my whole family and freinds to see Boogie Nights and we pulled up to the theater thinking we were going to be the only people in the whole place and we could barely get a parking spot. Face it....holidays of old are over. You have movie theaters open on Christmas now. Lots of people dont care about Thanksgiving.
My brother has gone to a few shows on Thanksgiving...those being not in the metal realm but he said that everytime he has gone, they are packed. You have to realize...most people are done with the family thing by 5 or 6 and are looking for something to do. Not everyone has tight family. If Blind Guardian toured alot in the states...I could totally see this show not doing well. SInce it is a rare occurance...it will make people get out and see the show.

If you want to believe that it will be empty and the show wont be good to make yourself feel good...go ahead...fool yourself. I will be enjoying a great show on Thanksgiving.

Diabolik said:
You really dont know what you are talking about. The show will be packed. Look at how well movie theaters do now in Thanksgiving. I remember years back that everything was closed. It wasnt until the movie chains started opening up giving people something to do after eating. I remember going with my whole family and freinds to see Boogie Nights and we pulled up to the theater thinking we were going to be the only people in the whole place and we could barely get a parking spot. Face it....holidays of old are over. You have movie theaters open on Christmas now. Lots of people dont care about Thanksgiving.
My brother has gone to a few shows on Thanksgiving...those being not in the metal realm but he said that everytime he has gone, they are packed. You have to realize...most people are done with the family thing by 5 or 6 and are looking for something to do. Not everyone has tight family. If Blind Guardian toured alot in the states...I could totally see this show not doing well. SInce it is a rare occurance...it will make people get out and see the show.

If you want to believe that it will be empty and the show wont be good to make yourself feel good...go ahead...fool yourself. I will be enjoying a great show on Thanksgiving.

You can't use a movie theater example to extrapolate on every retail/dining/commercial to the public establishment. The reason some places are packed is simply because EVERYTHING ELSE IS CLOSED! It makes sense for a grocery store to be open on Thanksgiving but if I owned a non-edible goods store... why the hell would I waste my energy/payroll by being open from 11am-5pm? And if I'm not doing any business between those hours, why even be open at all for that day? It'd be a bad business move -- especially considering business quintupples on Friday. This is an individual business decision and has nothing to do with your wacky theory that being open on a holiday like Thanksgiving brings more business.

I'm honestly not considering going to the concert based on traffic alone. Chicago traffic will be HORRIBLE on that day, due to people traveling to and from eachother's residences -- not from people tooling around town for the bar scene.

So yes, people will go to the Blind Guardian show. But I guarantee it wouldn't do nearly as well as it would if it were scheduled on ANY other freakin' day in November.

The Michael

Michael TEOF said:
You can't use a movie theater example to extrapolate on every retail/dining/commercial to the public establishment. The reason some places are packed is simply because EVERYTHING ELSE IS CLOSED! It makes sense for a grocery store to be open on Thanksgiving but if I owned a non-edible goods store... why the hell would I waste my energy/payroll by being open from 11am-5pm? And if I'm not doing any business between those hours, why even be open at all for that day? It'd be a bad business move -- especially considering business quintupples on Friday. This is an individual business decision and has nothing to do with your wacky theory that being open on a holiday like Thanksgiving brings more business.

My non-food store (when I worked retail) was open on Thanksgiving every year. I always took the opening shift because my family has dinner later than others. It was a small town, it was one of the few places open, but we were busy.

Michael TEOF said:
I'm honestly not considering going to the concert based on traffic alone. Chicago traffic will be HORRIBLE on that day, due to people traveling to and from eachother's residences -- not from people tooling around town for the bar scene.

We drive to Rockton ON Thanksgiving. We leave around 7-8am EST and traffic, while never as light as it was that Christmas Eve we drove through, is still a zillion times better than your average weekday on the major highways around Chicago (we usually hit the IN/IL border around 11?). I would never want to make the drive out on Wednesday night - getting home from work the night before Thanksgiving is traffic-awful enough!

Sarah

Michael TEOF said:

Haha, that'd be hilarious if you skipped it for that reason. About a bazillion more people travel to work every single day than travel for holiday visits. Darn, if only there was some way to prove it. Oh, wait, there is!

http://gcmtravelstats.com/DateRange...2=11&selToDD2=17&selToYYYY2=2005&dayOfWeek2=5

The red line in the graph (the one you can barely see because it's so low) is the travel time on I-90 last Thanksgiving, and the blue line is for the Thursday the week before.

Ah, how I love the Internet.

As for the show, sure, it's a little annoying that it's on Thanksgiving, but my family usually eats dinner kind of mid-afternoon-ish (I hope that's allowed by the Thanksgiving Police!), so I'll do that for a while and then head over to the show. It does appear to be the only concert going on in Chicago that night, so who knows, maybe the "movie effect" will apply there too and somewhat balance out those who can't make it because of the holiday.

Neil

Magius, since when is voicing an opinion exhibiting a condecending attitude? My beliefs are simply my beliefs. I know people have different situations and respect them as people should respect mine. I don't expect people to agree with me all the time. But to call me condecending is just not right. So, this will be the last time I ever, I repeat EVER share my opinion. This forum is just too quick to judge and I have better things to do with my time....

yardleybates said:
I think I remember hearing one time that Thanksgiving night is one of the biggest bar nights of the year, but I may be cornfused on the holiday.

hahahaha lol

yardleybates said:
I think I remember hearing one time that Thanksgiving night is one of the biggest bar nights of the year, but I may be cornfused on the holiday.

Thanksgiving isn't but the Wednesday before it is.