The Animation Appreciation Thread

This thread is excellent. I'm a big fan of rotoscoping animation, a la Bakshi. Big animation fan in general though.

Which is why I'm so surprised I've just been watching the shit out of this CGI show for five year olds, but holy shit is it hilarious and adorable. The animation itself isn't excellent but it's a Tekken reference and it really draws you in. If you have kids, watch it with them, you'll enjoy it in spite of yourself.

1772f2e5223e9a28c227cd049f2923355f774393.jpg

On the dinosaur note, I also really enjoyed Dinosaur King. The first half hour is just atrocious child voice acting, but once the dinosaur gets older it's really a very mature film. Both of these are on Netflix.

I will probably be mainly talking to myself here because most animation fans are big anime fans, it's the more popular subgenre. And I didn't care for it for a long time, art style and dialogue flow didn't jive with me. Coming around slowly.

The one example I always go to that's in favor of it when used correctly is Hollow Man. While some of the larger scale effects like the gorilla coming back into form and Kevin Bacon's initial transformation into invisibility do have somewhat of an original PlayStation graphics kind of look to them, by and large the use of digital effects in the film are still to this day incredible. Whenever Bacon's form is outlined through various elements, ala water, smoke or blood, its a pretty marvelous sight.

hollowman5.jpg

That's fucking inspired.

I recently watched this again and while the plot cheese held my interest at arms reach much of the time, boy you were really right about the usage of CGI for this film. That's how you do CGI.

I recently watched this again and while the plot cheese held my interest at arms reach much of the time, boy you were really right about the usage of CGI for this film. That's how you do CGI.
And its 17 years old and wipes the floor with anything done today. The same could be said of Starship Troopers. Those bugs still look incredible and that films even older.

Reactions: CiG
Only discovered today that Kemono Friends is totally fucked and they fired their best talent. RIP savior of anime.

I really like the look of this rustic, older animation style and the way it also looks weirdly modern. Might have to pick this up.

I'm absolutely thrilled that 2 more seaaons of Fooly Cooly are happening. Its such a visually appealing anime, even if its incredibly industrialized in atmosphere. The color palette was definitely unique of any anime around its time, and its use of slight CG modeling (I believe the giant hand and iron are CGI) made it absolutely unique to me.

I absolutely love Coraline too, when it comes to stop motion/claymation. Its my favorite movie of Henry Selick's animation.

I'm absolutely thrilled that 2 more seaaons of Fooly Cooly are happening. Its such a visually appealing anime, even if its incredibly industrialized in atmosphere. The color palette was definitely unique of any anime around its time, and its use of slight CG modeling (I believe the giant hand and iron are CGI) made it absolutely unique to me.

oooo i didn't know about this