07 wacken ruined

I've been to every single MetalCamp since it started, and it kicks ass!!! This year, it's 5 days of metal instead of 3...that's 5 days of concerts, 7 days altogether for the camping and stuff. There's a river to swim in that's really cold and refreshing when it gets too hot, the food is quite good, everyone's cool, it's organized really well, and it's only an hour and a half from where I live. I've never been to Wacken, but from what I can tell, MetalCamp will be the new Wacken.

Well, all in all I can't go there this year because I don't have my driver's license, and it's a 12 hour drive from here or something. But yeah, best location for a festival evar.

MajestikMøøse;5700215 said:
hahahaha

but Wacken has been digging itself into a hole over the last few years anyway.

qft

*sigh* Yeah, every year again I swear to myself I´d never visit that festival again (my first time there was in 1996)`cause everytime it´s getting worse and worse. Nowadays it feels like beeing on one great fun fair instead of a metal festival. But everytime they find a way to catch me again, or I should rather say a band, that I don´t want to miss at any price. But, man, BfmV??? What else is to come?

Bah, Humbug.

I'm not on the boat with the Wacken slander. It's still a good festival. The dichtomy of more people and the odd bad band must mean a bad festival is something I don't agree with.

I actually don't want to go to Wacken, although I've never been there. Everyone tells me that there are tons of people and everyone's drunk all the time, etc. That really doesn't sound that appealing to me. I don't like constantly being around drunk people every hour of the day in 90 degree heat, dirty, smelly, hungry, etc. I think that's why I like MetalCamp so much. There are other activities to do and it's quite easy to just relax there. Plus, what happens if I want to see two bands, and they're both playing at the same time? Fuck that. MetalCamp has ONE stage for big acts, and ONE stage for smaller, unsigned bands. If you don't like one of the big bands playing, you can go to the smaller, unsigned band stage and maybe you'll find something you like there. It's a really good idea.

There's plenty of shade, plenty of room, you can go swimming if you want and cool off, if you're a girl and want to show off your hot body for all of us to see, that's cool too, LOL!!!! Actually, it was really funny seeing all the goths swimming and stuff, trying not to get tan because they wanted to keep their pasty white skin, :lol:. Most of the time, though, the girls just go around topless when they tan on the river banks...not bad, huh?

Every night after the concert, there's a huge metal party down by the river all night long with a metal dj playing all types of metal all night. Beer's not too expensive, food isn't too expensive, tons of things to do, metal market is decent, tons of bands, not too crowded, and great, great bands playing every year. What more could you want?

Bah, Humbug.

I'm not on the boat with the Wacken slander. It's still a good festival. The dichtomy of more people and the odd bad band must mean a bad festival is something I don't agree with.

Oh come on, how can you not be part of the I-hate-Wacken-but-I-come-back-there-every-year-discussion?! ;)

Seriously, I think it depends a little on how people come from, Germany or somewhere else in Europe or in the world. I´ve often been to festivals in other countries where I was totally happy and excited about everything, but the folks over there had some, let´s say different point of view about it. Anyway, I don´t think one band would ruin everything, too. I´m sure they´ll bring up even worse bands! ;) Joking.
Hehe, I don´t know, wacken has become way too big in the last years and to me it doesn´t feel "metal" anymore.

I actually don't want to go to Wacken, although I've never been there. Everyone tells me that there are tons of people and everyone's drunk all the time, etc. That really doesn't sound that appealing to me. I don't like constantly being around drunk people every hour of the day in 90 degree heat, dirty, smelly, hungry, etc. I think that's why I like MetalCamp so much. There are other activities to do and it's quite easy to just relax there. Plus, what happens if I want to see two bands, and they're both playing at the same time? Fuck that. MetalCamp has ONE stage for big acts, and ONE stage for smaller, unsigned bands. If you don't like one of the big bands playing, you can go to the smaller, unsigned band stage and maybe you'll find something you like there. It's a really good idea.

There's plenty of shade, plenty of room, you can go swimming if you want and cool off, if you're a girl and want to show off your hot body for all of us to see, that's cool too, LOL!!!! Actually, it was really funny seeing all the goths swimming and stuff, trying not to get tan because they wanted to keep their pasty white skin, :lol:. Most of the time, though, the girls just go around topless when they tan on the river banks...not bad, huh?

Every night after the concert, there's a huge metal party down by the river all night long with a metal dj playing all types of metal all night. Beer's not too expensive, food isn't too expensive, tons of things to do, metal market is decent, tons of bands, not too crowded, and great, great bands playing every year. What more could you want?

Honestly sounds like my version of Heaven.

are there any down sides at all?

It gets really hot, and if you don't put your tent in the shade, you wake up in an oven. Also, it gets really cold there at night, even in June because it's in the mountains, so the cold stays in at night and the heat stays in during the day. Sometimes the lines for food get quite long, but I've never waited longer than 15-20 minutes to eat. Beer is always readily available, however. They also serve food for vegetarians too.

As far as organization-wise, I really can't think of anything bad to say about it. Everyone gets along for the most part, I think there have only been like 2 fights in 3 years. Just drunken bullshit. The bands always come to hang out before and after their shows, so you get to take a few pictures, autographs, etc. I've got a couple with WD and Loomis.

The camping area is quite close to the stage, but due to the fact that it has to be separated from the main area, and that there are a lot of people, it's a good 5-10 minute walk to your tent. I mean, none of these are bad things, I'm just trying to think of things that were a little annoying, but I really can't think of anything. The price is quite good. Last year, we bought the package thing which comes with tickets, parking, camping, and a couple of MetalCamp trinkets for like 75-80 euros for all three days. It's kind of expensive, but not really.

Maybe you should ask me questions and I'd be happy to answer, because I really don't know of anything BAD, per se.

Also, EVERYONE FUCKS EVERYWHERE!!! In their tents, in the portable toilets, in the river, in the woods, everywhere. It's quite funny...no one really gives a shit about privacy there. Europeans.

The tents are quite close to each other usually, and people just fuck next to another couple who's fucking as well. We were cooking some pasta on our portable stove and a couple were just going at it right behind us. They finished, came out of the tent, and we offered them some beer and some food if they wanted...we figured they'd be hungry after that, LOL!!!!

It's quite like Woodstock for metalheads. Nature and metal combined.

CIMG1225.jpg

Some of the things you will see at MetalCamp...people lose their fucking minds there.

Well, aside from that lunatic, this place sounds pretty fucking great. You have pretty much covered all the questions I had. I was planning a trip around Europe in a year or so, hopefully i'll be able to make my way to MetalCamp then.

There is a petition to get them removed. I saw it on the Orphaned Land forum, so I signed it.
Not that I care though. All this shit band being on the festival means is that, everyone will skip them, whoever doesn't will boo them off the stage, people will throw shit at them (maybe even literally, I hope!). They will know that they are not welcome in Europe, even though I think they are English :erk:

it is not ruined. I want to go to metal camp so badly and wacken too. In 2008 i will attend both, since then it will be the time i get my "freedom" by turning 18 according to my mom.
DeadWinter, are there any cops doing anything at metal camp? like busting people for having weed?

Dude, we smoke in front of the security...no one gives a shit here about that kind of stuff. There are no cops...they have better things to do than harrass a bunch of drunken metalheads having a good time. In fact, if you go to the metalcamp site, they say, "No HARD illegal drugs." Basically, smoke all you want, but don't start shooting up or doing lines on some girl's tits.