10 best guitarists

Profanity

The Post Master
Jul 3, 2003
Manchester, England, UK
This has probably been done about 1,000,000 times before but after recently seeing Steve Vai. I have developed an interest in guitarists, so who would you say were the 10 best guitarists. Here's my picks:
1) RANDY RHOADS - Nobody else understood music the way he did. He interpreted it far better than anyone else and his Neo Classical style was unique and innovative. The only criticism of this man is that he doesn't have the technical prowess of someone like Steve Vai.

2) STEVE VAI - Technically perfect. His music is more than just shredding, he can make beautiful sounds, write innovative/clever music while showing his range and versdatility with the guitar.

3) MICHAEL ANGELO BATIO

4) JOHN PETRUCCI

5) YNGWIE MALMSTEEN

6) JOE SATRIANI

7) STEVE MORSE

8) KIRK HAMMETT

9) RICHIE BLACKMORE

10) JIMMY PAGE

Now your list. Let's discuss.

Andres Segovia
John Williams
Elliot Fisk
Robert Fripp
Moraito
Paco de Lucia
Christopher Parkening
Trey Azagthoth
Steve Vai
John Mclaughlin

Profanity said:
You must provide some reasons for your choice.

I'm not going to sit and explain why. It's best, I think, for people to take the time to listen to some of their music, then come back and discuss what they think of said guitarists. If we try to explain why some of them are better than others, this thread will turn into another flame war.

Arrakis said:
the guy from korn

I think it's a joke but I could be wrong.

head: we have 7 strings on our guitars?
munky:what should we do with them?
head and munky:???????
johnathandavis:just play the 2 heavy strings over and over while i sing about how my dad molested me at the skating arena......durr??

head and munky:$!!!!!!!!!$[/t]

Not the best but my favorites:

Mille Petrozza
Alexi Laiho
Chuck Schuldiner
Jeff Hanneman/Kerry King
Piotr Wiwczarek
Nergal
Jon Schaffer
James Malone
Jon Nodtveidt
Jeff Loomis

Certainly not the most talented, but I favor them for their personal styles and the music they create.

Im Incredibly disturbed that no one has mentioned the legendary Dimebag Darrell. Probably my favourite guitarist of all time. With Galder from Old Man's Child and Dimmu as a close second.

Yes Jason Becker, a legend, and I'm also trying to figure out how Kirk Hammett could make any such list at the expense of someone you may have heard of named EDDIE VAN HALEN.

Why? Just listen to Eruption

buckethead- cause hes badass
michael ammot- has his own style
vai- This guy can work a fucking trem bar
andres segovia- good fucking classical shit
dude from trivium- badass solos
alexi laiho- neo-classical but he keeps it interesting
satriani- Insane legato riffs
paul gilbert- good instructional videos
michael angelo- because he can play the four necked guitar
steve stevens- The most insane guitar player ever. Listen to the rebel yell solo

Servio_Abbas_Bellum said:
I think it's a joke but I could be wrong.

head: we have 7 strings on our guitars?
munky:what should we do with them?
head and munky:???????
johnathandavis:just play the 2 heavy strings over and over while i sing about how my dad molested me at the skating arena......durr??

head and munky:$!!!!!!!!!$[/t]

HA! Thats the funiest thing ive heard, well read, in a long fucking time. korn sucks.