10 Favorite NOVELS?

Dick Sirloin

please... stay safe
Jan 6, 2004
EDITED:

1. ULYSSES - James Joyce
Joyce was simply THE master of the English language. No one could pull off what he does here... Each chapter based on a different color, bodily organ, literary style, episode of "The Odyssey" etc. A chapter that sounds musical when you read it... A chapter where the English language grows like that of a fetus, from old English to modern slang... A chapter where a roving eye catches snapshots of the city... A chapter structured like a teenage romance novel... and don't get me started on his use of stream on counsciousness! Or his extensive symbolism. Or thousands of references. But this novel isn't just about technical fireworks. It's hilarious, sad, offensive and beautiful. It took me 3 readings of the novel (and a LOT of supplementary material) to work my way into it, but one day (on about the second reading), everything clicked. I read it constantly, I just open it up on any page and start reading. I call it "the bedside labyrinth." It's my Bible. The comprehensive guide to humanity.

2. GRAVITY'S RAINBOW - Thomas Pynchon
At first Pynchon seems like a total nutjob. Over 400 characters. Chapters where the POV jumps around to different characters in elliptical fashion. Bizarre diction, long difficult sentences, bloated narrative, tons of references, very explicit sex. But there's a method to it all. Oh yes. One of the funniest, grossest, poignant, and most difficult books I've ever read. Every now and then you'll come across a passage that makes you look up from the book and feel like you're basking in divine light. Read up on your physics, WW2 history, Rilke (German poet), Kabbalah and astrology before you start... it will make much more sense.

3. STEPPENWOLF - Herman Hesse
A Jungian portrayal of inner man. Not as dry as it would seem. Hesse can put so much wisdom in so few words...

4. A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN - James Joyce
Mandatory reading for anyone who aspires for anything beyond society's limits. Probably the most quotable book of all time.

5. TROPIC OF CANCER - Henry Miller
THE original Jack Kerouac; cynical, spasmodic, ecstatic, and vivid portrayal of Paris in the 20s. Miller takes us from disgust to the beauty of the cosmos in about half a paragraph.

6. OF HUMAN BONDAGE - W. Somerset Maugham
The ultimate coming-of-age novel.

7. THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV - Fyodor Dostoevsky
The only book to make me cry in several places. Makes religion not seem so square.

8. CAT'S CRADLE - Kurt Vonnegut
Hilarious and poignant look at religion, society and life in general. But it's Vonnegut, so you knew that.

9. LORD OF THE RINGS - J.R.R. Tolkien
No need to explain. The best part is the folklore infused in it.

10. THE DHARMA BUMS - Jack Kerouac
Buddhism, travelling and debauchery rule. Kerouac's writing is filled with a zest for life not many writers possess.

i don't really have a top whatever list of books, but the following books have impacted me in ways i can't explain (or at least very easily):

The Lord of the Rings by I. P. Freely
The Satanic Verses by Rushdie
Fury by Rushdie
Dharma Bums by Kerouac
Naked Lunch by Burroughs
The Republic by Plato
The Prince by Machiavelli

i read too little. but ill tell you my no. 1 fav:

1. george orwell "keep the aspidistra flying"

EDIT: if this doesnt qualify as a proper novel then FUCK YOU is my fav

haha, I guess I prefer more mainstream books than the classics or searching some Novel Underground for supposedly better stories.

The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King
FOrget everything you know or think you know about King's books or movies. The DT series engulfs them all, as well as any other fantasy/horror series ever written. Fact, gentlemen, 'tis a fact.

Dune
Best sci-fi novel (and series) ever. Nothing more to say.

Those are the ones that always come to mind.

1. The Chronicles of Dune (treating these as one book and the only ones I'll rank)
The Lord of the Rings
Catch-22
Slaughterhouse-five
Great Expectations
On the Road, not a literary masterpiece but cool as shit
Flatland
The Planiverse
Men of Mathematics, not a novel but I DON'T CARE

man this thread makes me ashamed i don't read more...but i have so much assigned to me, i'm hardly ever in the mood to do it during my free time

i'll just put the last three books i've read, all of which ruled immensely:
lovecraft - at the mountains of madness
david sedaris - me talk pretty one day (<----hilarious)
hunter s thompson - hell's angels

In no particular order:
George RR Martin&#8211;A Song of Ice and Fire (series, counting it as one)
John Kennedy Toole&#8211;A Confederacy of Dunces
Stephen King&#8211;The Dark Tower (series again)
Jack Kerouac&#8211;The Town and the City
Dan Simmons&#8211;Hyperion/The Fall of Hyperion
Joseph Heller&#8211;Catch-22

too fucking tired to think of 10

Pyrus said:
In no particular order:
George RR Martin–A Song of Ice and Fire (series, counting it as one)
this is truly epic. no other word suffices.

Pyrus said:
In no particular order:
John Kennedy Toole–A Confederacy of Dunces
a few people I really respect recommend this. I was not able to grasp it but I recognized it as an achievement of some sort.

Pyrus said:
In no particular order:
Dan Simmons–Hyperion/The Fall of Hyperion
after Dead Lioness recommended this one I read it. I've read all of Simmons' PI novels (couldn't possibly be any different!) and this is truly a classic of the sci fi/fantasy genre. The scene with the priest on the tree experiencing eternal deaths.....wow.

Lord of the Rings - overexposed, but nonetheless.

Stephen King - The Shining

Bernard Cornwell - The Arthur series, the Grail series, and of course, the Sharpe novels. mayhem mayhem mayhem.

(some may notice I'm not a literary snob)

Michael Connelly novels. he's fairly prolific, he's entertaining.

Robert B. Parker's novels. The Spenser series and others. keeping the PI genre alive, Parker writes briskly paced stories which highlight a highly moral protagonist who is nonetheless willing to cut corners.

Oh man tough subject, since I like both mainstream, underground mainstream and some classics. I'll give it a go, in no particular order.

J.R.R. Tolkien - Lord of the Rings
Albert Camus - La Peste (The Plague)
Donna Tartt - The Secret History
Guy Gavriel Kay - A Song for Arbonne
Guy Gavriel Kay - Tigana
Jean-Paul Sartre - La Nausée (Nausea)
Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum
Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose
Tad Williams - War of the Flowers
Louis-Ferdinand Céline - Voyage au Bout de la Nuit (Journey to the End of Night)

Hemingway - The Sun Also Rises
Hemingway - The Old Man and the Sea
Poe - The Fall of the House of Usher (more of a short-story, but still great)
George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire
Dostoevsky - Crime and Punishment
H.P. Lovecraft - At the Mountains of Madness
Robert E. Howard - The Chronicles of Conan
Knut Hamsun - Markens Gr&#248;de
Henrik Ibsen - Et Dukkehjem
Jonas Lie - &#216;stenfor Sol, Vestenfor Maae og Bagom Babyons T&#229;rn

English, of course! :p

Translations rarely do originals justice, I think. And I find the norwegian language to have its shortcomings when it comes to literature; a rather large lack of words compared to the english, so translations from english to norwegian rarely work out well.

random authors who's names i remember from awesome readings ive done in university so far:

Italo Calvino
Ursula LeGuin

actually, those are the only 2 i remember, but they're awesome!

Out of curiosity, have anyone here read "The Wheel of Time" series?

I started reading it about nearly ten years ago, and even though the quality of the books have declined notably during the last four books, I find myself buying the new one without hesitation every time it's released. It still has its shining moments, but holy shit, I never knew anyone could spend so much time describing dresses, cuts and lace. :erk:

lurch70 said:
i attempted to read this so many times ... it really needs a proper mood. need to give it another shot.

I agree, it required a lot more work than literature normally does, but it was well worth in the end, I assure you.