12 different snare drums - samples, should I require payment for this ?

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, on saturday I sampled 13 different "high end" snare drums with my gear. Let me explain : the initial aim was to get the best possible natural samples out of those snares and use them in my mixes. No treatment at all, just recorded in a good room and well tuned snares.
I used my personal gear which is :

Sn top : AKG 414 XLII into Vintech X81 pre into Lavry AD10 converter
Sn bottom : SM57 into Mindprint DTC into Lavry AD10 converter

I'm a drummer and always try to take care of how I hit the snare, using the rimshot technique for the smack and also the "classic technique", every snare was recorded @ different velocities.
Now I have the project with tons of different hits for each snare, that I plan to cut as stereo samples. I mean a stereo sample for the bottom mic, and one for the top mic.
It turned really amazing and now I have very high quality non-processed samples of really good snare drums. I prefer non-processed snares myself so I can mix them the way I want.

Here is a list of the snares :
Tama Bubinga
Tama Starphonic Maple
Mapex Black Panther
Gretsch Classic Maple
Gretsch Classic Brass
Sonor Designer
DW Collector's Maple
DW Eco-X
Pearl Masters Maple
Pearl Free Floating
PDP Acrylic... and a few others

We tried to get the optimal tuning for every snare, there are no different tuning possibilities.
Now the question is : should I put those snares online requiring a payment ? I think it's pretty rare to have totally raw samples and this can be interesting for some people ? The package would be pretty simple : for each snare a folder, top and bottom stereo files, 8 or 10 selected hits. Of course, if I do that, I want the price to be affordable for everyone who needs a good snare samples library.
What do you think ? Which price (please do not say "free" ahah) ? I can upload one sample so you can tell me what you think about the quality.

Here is one 14"x5,5" Tama Starclassic Bubinga snare sample, top and bottom are mixed together (won't be the case on the "commercial" version), stereo WAV format, only one shot.

Let me know what you think. I plan to sell the package $30 USD, do you think it's OK ?

EDIT : bottom mic may be a bit to loud

i honestly probably wouldn't pay more than 30$ not because i am cheap but because there are ton of other great (some bad) free samples uploaded by members of this community + i have SSD :D But i do think 30$ is a fair price, 25$ would be ideal for me, maybe 25$ if you get a GROUP package :D then that would be awesome. Even an individual price for snare wouldn't be bad either. Its up to you mate :D If you felt you put ton of work into it then ask for a reasonable price, if you think it didnt take much of your time and just want to be a generous fellow then you could always ask for donations hehe.

Ahah thanks guys for your inputs, I can include a few Beyer Opus87/MD421 toms and Beyer M88 kick samples of mine too (from my DW Lacquer Speciality kit and a Pearl Reference kit), which I think are great (all natural, no processing).
$30 or $25 sounds good to me, pretty affordable, I didn't put that much work into this except for the gear I used to record the samples which is really high end I guess. I worked my snare playing style for years and years, especially in a metal context, so I think it's a part of the job too ahah.
Now I have to cut all the stuff and organize it. Do you prefer mono or stereo samples ? (I think mono sounds good because you'll have separated top and bottom mics samples, and those are mono tracks).
I think there are many good libraries out there, but sometimes they are a bit overpriced, and a bit too processed.

I have no idea how to create .TCI files, but if I can I will do it of course, I have to look in the forums for some info about this :)