12 different snare drums - samples, should I require payment for this ?

I think you ought to mix top and bottom microphones and offer TCIs. You have plenty of experience as a drummer, or so you say, so I doubt you'll have any issues with creating a proper blend. Just beta test 'em in a mix and call it a day.

I'd pay $25 for the package.

Okay for TCIs guys, I will do it :)

I'm really happy because it comes out very good : I really like those samples, I'm editing them right now. Funny how the Mapex Black Panther sounds like the typical Lamb Of God snare ! lml

I chose the 414 on top because of the defintion and crack it provides, especially into the Vintech pre. I had several possible choices for the bottom mic but I think nothing can beat a good ole SM57 for "mid substance". This combo works well for me I guess.

I play drums since the age of 6 and I'm 27 right now. I've been into metal since 12-15 years now and I think I just try to play quite "simple" patterns trying to make them sound good/avoiding the sloppy thing.

Here's a song of my band, mixed by Jacob Hansen (I took care of the tracking though) :
(HD listening available)

And here is a messy drumsolo I recorded in 2004 with "poor gear" except the drumkit itself (Premier Signia Maple kit, which I loved). A bit boring maybe but I think it sounds really cool knowing the fact there were no OH mics involved, just proximity mics and a cool ambient room :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top and bottom won't be premixed but it will be very easy to do that.

In fact there are 15 snares available (forgot 3 of them at first), here is the exact list :

DW Collector Maple Finish Ply 14 x 5
DW Eco-X (bamboo/birch) 14 x 5
DW PDP Acrylic
GRETSCH Full Range Maple 14 x 5,5
GRETSCH Hammered Brass 14 x 8
GRETSCH Mark Schulman Signature 13 x 6 (maple/bubinga)
MAPEX Black Panther Brass 14 x 5,5
PEARL Free Floating (steel shell) 14 x 6,5
PEARL Masters Premium Series Maple 14 x 5,5
PEARL Omar Hakim Signature (mahogany) 13 x 5
SONOR Designer maple 14 x 4
TAMA Starclassic Bubinga 14 x 5,5
TAMA Starphonic Maple 14 x 5,5
YAMAHA Birch Custom Absolute 14 x 5,5
YAMAHA Signature John JR Robinson 15 x 5 (birch)

You won't be able to make TCI's unless you pre-mix the bottom and top mics together, unfortunately.

Sounds great though, can't wait to buy these!
But someone said that if I want to include the .TCI files, I have to mix the top and bottom together, is that true ? (won't do that for WAVs though)

Not true. One of the features in Trigger is that if everything lines up perfectly, ie. same number of hard hit samples, med hit, soft hit, etc. all in the right order, across different articulations/TCI's, Trigger will play them together. That way if you play say, a Z3 sample as well as a Z4 sample, it'll play the same 'hit' for both. So just make sure everything lines up with the TCI's and Trigger should take care of the rest. I haven't confirmed that this works, but I asked Slate about it in the past and this was his response.

Personally I'd offer a premixed version, and then separate top & bottom. Go for 4 velocity values - rimshot, hard, medium, soft/ghost - with about 4-5 on each. Less and you'll notice it, more and you won't. Any chance of overhead/room samples to go along with the close ones?

Thanks for the anwser, unfortunately the first purpose of this library was my own use of it. I always use room mics when tracking drums so I always have a room behind the close mics in my mixes (I'd say 80% of the time, at least).
This time I just tracked top and bottom snare sample, but in the future I plan to really re-sample everything including : room, OHs, ... and so on.
In the first place I wanted to add a mono room mic to the snare samples but couldn't do it unfortunately because of the lack of time.
I think my library is more sound-reinforcement oriented than total triggering though. Anyway I just spent a few hours today to select the best rimshot hits (4 rimshot hits for each snare) and edit them. Then I plan to add 3 medium hits, and 3 soft hits. I think it should be sufficient considering the samples are very dynamic sounding : I didn't normalize anything and kept the original "relative" dynamics, which I think is cool for a natural breathing drumsound. I'm not in the same pool as Slate or any other "processed sounding samples" library. Of course their samples sound amazing (really dig them), but I just recorded natural samples so people can do whatever they want with those really. Hope some guys will use them for their mixes and enjoy the sounds.
I think I will add a mixed top and bottom snare version, sounds like a good idea ! :)
Tomorrow I'd like to post a free download link to one snare, so everyone can judge of the sound, file structures etc. and I will use this as a report before I sell anything.
As there are 15 snares (+ one kick multi-sample + two tom sets) I think $30 is a good price. And of course do not hesitate to PM me if you have some questions or things you want to suggest before I put this online.

EDIT : I can add a few room samples from two previous projects, they won't match the close miced snares, but I think they sound great so...

Not true. One of the features in Trigger is that if everything lines up perfectly, ie. same number of hard hit samples, med hit, soft hit, etc. all in the right order, across different articulations/TCI's, Trigger will play them together. That way if you play say, a Z3 sample as well as a Z4 sample, it'll play the same 'hit' for both. So just make sure everything lines up with the TCI's and Trigger should take care of the rest. I haven't confirmed that this works, but I asked Slate about it in the past and this was his response.

Yes, you can do this by making sure each TCI matches cell-by-cell, but Trigger prints the tracks together and renders the feature is useless IMO.

If you want to print your room tracks separately from your direct tracks, different hits will be triggered on each end, although in the same velocity range. This is fine for room tones for the most part, but having one sample on the top mic and a different one on the bottom mic would be disastrous.

I'm done, everything is ready to be uploaded. Sounds really cool, I'm happy with this, I hope people enjoy the samples.

Need to find a place with password protection :s Any other idea ?

You could do it based on sharing a Dropbox folder, or just e-mail/PM the links once people paypal you for them? Kindof what Lasse does.