$1200 Equipment.

Jacobo

New Metal Member
Feb 20, 2006
Ok, guys, that is my budget to get my guitar kit including amp, strings and everything else.

I am thinking about a Jackson Kelly or an ESP. About amps I have no idea and was also wondering if you recommend me getting a distortion pedal or an amp with killer FXs that has an extremely heavy distortion.

Please let me know what would you get with this budget and what it would sound like, maybe sound samples? thanks guys, oh and by the way, I want to play Melodeath/Thrash, I was a bass player for 10 years, but now I want to go to the dark side as well hehehe.

In Metal,
Jacobo

You don't need a distortion pedal. Get a decent amp instead... Do you intend to play live/rehearse with a band or only practice/record at home though?

The idea is to do my own project. So what I want is a fucking killer tone. I want it to be fucking heavy and at the same time extremely clear. If I had to compare it with basses, I would want the equivalent of an Ernie Ball Bass with SWR amplification.

On the other hand, you mention to go with an amp instead of a pedal for distortion. What amp would you recommend me to check out?

In Metal,
Jacobo

Well, what amp you want depends on whether you want to play live, because I would recommend something like a Peavey 5150 + Marshall cab, but you can't really play that at home because to get a great tone out of this amp you need to have it at pretty ridiculous volumes.

For $1200, you'll have to buy used to really get a quality guitar AND awesome tone from your rig. Are you going to be recording? If so, there's no point in spending much money on an amp that you can't crank up, so you could either buy a digital modeler OR a good preamp that has direct-recording outputs. I live in an apartment, and when I'm not gigging, my amps sit around collecting dust because I can't play them at home. I bought two things for recording:

1) Digital modeler. I went with the Johnson J-Station because it was cheap AND includes both guitar and bass amp models. I plug it into a laptop with headphones to record my ideas. The J-Station is discontinued, but there are many similar (or better) products available now that weren't around when I bought it.

2) Preamp/processor. I've been using ART products for many years, and bought a DST-4 rackmount preamp/processor for recording. It can be used in a traditional rig with a power amp and cab(s), or for direct recording via a direct-out with 2x12 and 4x12 speaker cab emulation. The preamp is not digital like a modeler - there are four channels just as you would find on a standard amp - but it has an effects loop and dedicated digital effects processor. Again, this is a discontinued item, but there are many good preamps on the market that have similar features. Many traditional amps also have direct-recording outputs and headphone jacks.

I prefer Jackson guitars over ESP, but you will not be able to get a high-end guitar of either brand with the money you'll have after buying an amp or modeler. Since a Jackson USA Kelly would be too expensive, look for a used `90s Kelly Pro neck-through or Kelly XL bolt-on, both made in Japan. They are nicer than the recent KE-3, although the latest version will be getting upgraded pickups and trem. If you like ESP, you could look for an early LTD model. Many of the earlier Korean models had nicer wood and workmanship than the current versions. Personally, I think Dean has the nicest under-$600 guitars on the market, but I sold my Dean EVO to pay for a new bass.

Thanks man. All of this is really helping me make my decision. I am going to check the J station soon. Also, today I tried the Line 6 Spider II and didn´t find it bad at all. What do you guys think?

The Jackson KE3 and the Line 6 Spider II sounds good combo for $1200 to me.

Though if it were my money... I'd save up a few hundred dollars more and go to ebay and try to find a Fender USA Strat or the Yngwie sig. model.

Jacobo said:
Ok, guys, that is my budget to get my guitar kit including amp, strings and everything else.

I am thinking about a Jackson Kelly or an ESP. About amps I have no idea and was also wondering if you recommend me getting a distortion pedal or an amp with killer FXs that has an extremely heavy distortion.

Please let me know what would you get with this budget and what it would sound like, maybe sound samples? thanks guys, oh and by the way, I want to play Melodeath/Thrash, I was a bass player for 10 years, but now I want to go to the dark side as well hehehe.

In Metal,
Jacobo

I would seriously consider a used axe, but would stick with a new amp. Best bang for the buck in guitars are Ibanez. However, I have seen some pristine 80's guitars floating around in pawn shops like Charvels and Peavey Vandenbergs for dirt cheap. THose things scream and you don't have to spike your hair up and do Ratt covers to play them... ha ha. As far as an amp..... tube amps are the way to go, but unless you get a smallish combo, you need to play mighty loud to drive the tubes where they sound really great. The line 6 are recommended everywhere as an alternative, but I have personally never played one. I would consider getting a multi-effect unit if I were you. It is better to have too much than too little. I use effects quite sparingly, but I like to have chorus (for clean stuff) some reverb, delay and EQ. Every thing else doesn't matter so much for me. Lastly, though it sounds stupid, leave enough money for a high quality cord, or buy a soldering gun and learn how to solder. Those cheap cords will drive you nuts. A string is a string (though some will argue) when it comes to electric. The guage is a personal choice. For thrash/death probably need some good chunk, so 10s would be better for low crunch. You can try nines (what I use and still suitable for thrash) as well for a little easier string bending/soloing. I tend to buy D'Addario XL strings, but will buy another brand when on sale. The strap is no big deal unless you get a big-bodied guitar like a Gibson Les Paul or even a few of the "metal" guitars with bigger bodies made of maple. If you get a heavy guitar, invest in a high quality wide strap or it will hurt your neck/shoulder. Other than that a cheapo strap is fine until you are ready to upgrade.

Bryant