18 Volt Mod

whooa guys, im buying an EMG equipped Ibanez soon, are you saying it sounds crap without this mod??? I'd rather not feck about with it

whooa guys, im buying an EMG equipped Ibanez soon, are you saying it sounds crap without this mod??? I'd rather not feck about with it

EMGs sound fine without the mod, they just sound better with the mod. IMO. And lots of other people who know what they're talking about's opinion.

Don't be scared of it, it's not like you're something irreversible.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ut-bridge-vs-emg81-round-2-dtb-content-d.html

I used to really be into the 81 at 18v, but I've kinda gotten tired of it since the diminished focus in the upper mids (and increased woofiness) makes it a bit more of a pain in the ass to seat in a full mix - it does get rid of the sterile quality of the pickup though, but I'd rather use either an 81TW or I guess 89 instead (never liked the 85 except in the brightest of guitars)

EDIT: To be clear, though, my only experience with the 81 @ 18v is in my mahogany Ibanez Prestige, might be different in another

you would not want to use an 8TW:loco:

Hey tell me something. I read that the 18v mod is less tight for palm mutes and rhythm stuff, it´s that true?

Not with my experience...It has actually tightened up the rhythm and palm mutes.

Added clarity, but with serious crunch and no fizz....if that makes sense.

Actually, pretty much all it does is reduce the upper-mids and beef up the low-mids, for better or worse (worse IMO) - still the same pickup after all!

Old clips: (updated my first reply with the same)

81 9v
81 18v
85 9v
85 18v

Both were in the bridge position of my mahogany Ibanez Prestige; I always preferred the 85 at 9v, but for awhile I preferred the 81 at 18v; however, that's what I used to record the guitars for my EP, and the increased low-mids/decreased high-mids worked to its detriment in a full mix IMO; the pitch wasn't as defined, and it was unpleasantly woofy - live and learn!