EMG 18V Mod?

wishtheend

clip the apex
Dec 29, 2005
SL, UT
Since EMG actives can run up to 27V, I've been thinking of doing the 18V mod. Anyone have any experience, thoughts or examples of the difference the mod has? I'm thinking it may be more noticeable on the the bass pickups as there is more tonal range covered - but curious if it tightens up or does anything for guitars.

I've done it to all my EMG equipped guitars. It increases the pickup preamp's headroom, so you don't get the clipping that you do at 9 volts when you dig in to the strings. I love it. To me, it keeps the high output, but gives it a slightly more organic character. I use 81's, so YMMV. To me, I don't think I'd run EMG's without the 18v mod. It is much more noticeable when you play clean, but even high gain stuff sounds better to me. Easy mod to try and if you don't like it, it's an easy switch back.

Meh... it took away what an EMG really is, to me. It was like the bias mod to a 5150 - just less of the sound I've grown to love.

True, but what you like about EMG's may be what I don't. I loved the high output, but I couldn't stand the pickup preamp clipping...Sounded way too sterile and solid state when it would clip. Now, I get the same high output, but the tone doesn't crap out, stays nice and full and thick, with all the clarity (maybe more).

Didn't know that. I'll have to give it a try, i always thought that little clipping noise was from the amp input being overload by the hot signal.

Well, I'm assuming it's the pickup, as it sounds pretty much the same from amp to amp. Also, if it was a tube amp input overloading, it would have a more round sound than the harsh clipping you hear, I would think. It's easy to verify that it's the pickups once you do the mod.

Some people dig it, some don't.

I just finished the mod on my RR1 with 81/85's. I like it except for how much space two 9v's take up. It really does sound cleaner, i can stum chords with some attitude now. I supposed if you always play distorted it doesn't matter. Only took about 5 min. Definately worth it IMO. Can't wait to hear my other axes with the mod.

Well, I'm assuming it's the pickup, as it sounds pretty much the same from amp to amp. Also, if it was a tube amp input overloading, it would have a more round sound than the harsh clipping you hear, I would think. It's easy to verify that it's the pickups once you do the mod.

Some people dig it, some don't.

Yeah, dude, it's the pickup, I've noticed the same thing with both 81s and 85s, and throwing in a second battery fixed it instantly.