1st Quarter Reports: Jan-Mar 2004

I think I've shielded myself from the MDB hype over the years. The only records of theirs I have are this new one, and The Light at the End of the World, and this one is much, much better.

Also, try not to dismiss something before you've heard it!

but I've heard every one of their albums before this one, and none of them are masterpieces like everyone claims. I don't think this new one, with some of the worst cover art ever, will change my mind. They haven't earned the chance for my immortal fandom.

Dreamlord said:
but I've heard every one of their albums before this one, and none of them are masterpieces like everyone claims. I don't think this new one, with some of the worst cover art ever, will change my mind. They haven't earned the chance for my immortal fandom.
There's probably a strong chance then that you might not like the new MDB too much. It's only a suspicion but a rather strong one I might add... :tickled:

I do agree, however, that the cover art is complete shit. Bands don't take cover art as seriously as they used to. I know LP's were bigger and they had a better chance of catching your eye back in the day, but artwork these days is generally pretty piss poor, even from tier 1 bands with lots of money. Just look at the last Iron Maiden cover.

npearce said:
JayKeeley: Have you heard the new Enid? Surely you have that promo from Code666. I think you would REALLY like it.
Yeah, this isn't bad. Might take a few listens to get into (as with most code666 titles). I think NAD will like this more than me...

"Chimera" is really good, in an Arcturus kind of way. Singer even sounds a bit like Simen Hestnaes (down one octave). "The Burning of the Sea" kind of changes the pace a bit doesn't it? They go into 12 bar blues. :tickled:

Sepultura album covers > any other album cover.

Well, they used to be anyhow. The only band whose artwork I find impressive anymore is Tool, and their last album was 3 years ago.

So far, this year, in no particular order...

Disillusion "Back To Times Of Splendor" - This is some of the best material the Metal Blade label has released in years. Everyone on this board should check this one out. I was blown away by this band that I have never even heard of.. not a peep!

Brides Of Destruction "Here Come The Brides"

Tesla "Into The Now"

Cannibal Corpse "The Wretched Spawn"

My Dying Bride "Songs Of Darkness, Words Of Light" (And yes, Blue Lotus is absolutely amazing)

Vehemence "Helping The World To See" (Excellent death metal, another home run for Metal Blade)

Starsailor "Silence Is Easy" (Stunning)

Mayhem "Chimera"

Exodus "Tempo Of The Damned"

Iced Earth "The Glorious Burden"

Deicide "Scars Of The Crucifix"

Decapitated "The Negation"

Anxiously awaiting the new Suffocation....

The samples I've heard of the new Deicide sound really good, and the review gets my juices flowing...but full price $$ for 26 minutes worth of album? Man o man...

Disillusion and the new Vehemence sounds intriguing, so I'm hoping Metal Blade sends us promos so I can take a listen...

And I've not heard the Iced Earth yet properly. It'll be on half.com soon enough.

JayKeeley said:
The samples I've heard of the new Deicide sound really good, and the review gets my juices flowing...but full price $$ for 26 minutes worth of album? Man o man...

Disillusion and the new Vehemence sounds intriguing, so I'm hoping Metal Blade sends us promos so I can take a listen...

And I've not heard the Iced Earth yet properly. It'll be on half.com soon enough.

Just make sure you get the deluxe edition of Iced Earth...

As far as Deicide, you also get a 35 minute dvd.

Am I the only one that has no problem with really short death metal CDs? I love those 25 minute blast-a-thons! I plan on picking up that Deicide eventually this year, my first by them.

No I have no problem with it really - I own the Deicide debut and that is only 28 minutes long (although it doesn't feel like it). It's just that as my cash supplies deplete, I want more bang for my buck.

If it's an astounding CD however, I'll make the exception. I'd rather have 26 minutes of bliss compared to 70 minutes of boredom.

It had better be the among the best < 30 minutes of music ever to justify paying anything close to full price for something that short, at least for me...this is general principle of course, three minutes of Deicide has me thinking "next!".

BloodStainedWalls said:
Shit, Just checked. It comes out April 6th. You fucker!!

I cannot wait for that album to finally be released...I have been waiting for it for a long ass time.
Word to that man. PJ and I are the only 2 on this forum who have ever mentioned their love for that band. They fucking own.