__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Morgion – Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth
Dark Symphonies – Dark 22 – 27.04.04
By Anna Novitzky

morgion.jpg

You know those nature tapes they sell in new age shops? The ones with all the whale song, crashing waves and pan pipes? The ones that are repetitive and ‘soothing’ to the point of being soporific? Well, Morgion have created the metal equivalent. Lower on the large sea mammals whistling, higher on the bearded land mammals growling, but still the same sort of thing.

Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth is slow and sedentary, and takes itself terribly, terribly seriously. It wants to be majestic and pagan and medieval but just comes off as rather pompous. Morgion seem to be unable to understand the concept of changes in tempo; everything is carried out in a sort of long-drawn-out whine, from the husky, monotonous guitars to the ultra-slow-motion drumming. What it needs is accelerating to about double speed – except that then you’d get comedy chipmunk vocals. Actually though, that’d be quite amusing… The vocals we do have are a standard low doom-laden rumble that doesn’t quite fit in with the general feel, interspersed with clean balladeering that most definitely does. It’s like really, really depressed folk, but without all the nudge-nudge wink-wink. Yes, it’s full of haunting dark emotion and hypnotic melodies, but that’s not much help when you fall asleep whist listening to it.

You can probably put Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth on when your granny comes to visit unexpectedly, since it’s more-or-less inoffensive and she might even like it. But keep the coffee handy.

3ish/10

Official Morgion Site
Official Dark Symphonies Site

Russell said:
Morgion seem to be unable to understand the concept of changes in tempo; everything is carried out in a sort of long-drawn-out whine, from the husky, monotonous guitars to the ultra-slow-motion drumming.

Hmm...did anyone mention to you that Morgion are a doom band?

I saw these guys live before supporting Mourning Beloveth and they were quite decent. Haven't heard an ounce of their recorded out put though, and I might check this out for the sake of hearing them.

Russell said:
Not to put words into Anna's mouth, but that doesn't necessarily invalidate her point!

True, but it came out like it was some sort of flaw on their part. Anyone who knows of Morgion or other death/funeral doom metal knows that the sound she described them as having, is something not only prominent in their past releases, but also in other bands who are in the same genre.

Oh and, my mistake. I thought you wrote the review.

Chasm said:
True, but it came out like it was some sort of flaw on their part. Anyone who knows of Morgion or other death/funeral doom metal knows that the sound she described them as having, is something not only prominent in their past releases, but also in other bands who are in the same genre.

Oh and, my mistake. I thought you wrote the review.
True, but it could be considered a flaw of the entire genre if you're not a fan. While I like the style, I'm willing to concede many others may not, and as such it's useful to read reviews from the perspective of someone who is not a great fan (especially for those who don't like the genre themseves).

After all, how dull would our reviews section be if every release was reviewed by a fan of the band/style? And nope, I didn't write the review, I actually enjoy this album quite a bit.

Since this same CD has not garnered a review that is under 8.5 anywhere else(worldwide), it appears that Anna's review is about as uselful as tits on a boar.

We're sorry for not being Cannibal Corpse.

Wolfenrvne said:
Since this same CD has not garnered a review that is under 8.5 anywhere else(worldwide), it appears that Anna's review is about as uselful as tits on a boar.

We're sorry for not being Cannibal Corpse.

I beg to differ, the review is useful to those who aren't a big fan of doom/those with similar tastes to the reviewer. Just because it isn't positive does not mean Anna's opinion is less valid than anybody else's. I don't think she's a huge death metal fan either, she just didn't like the music.

I think this is a pretty cool way to look at it.