Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
The new album by Morgion is going to be released on the 27th of April, and if this song is anything to go by, we have definite top 10 material on our hands. Listen if you are even remotely interested in good doom.

This is really good, I've never heard Morgion before. I'm really digging that emotional feedback wailing.

I've had the promo for a while now. First of all, it's no Solinari. Of course, I wasn't expecting it to be, especially since it's been a while since that album was released.

However, I would say that for anyone expecting more death doom (with emphasis on death a la Solinari) then be prepared for change. This is going down a slightly more melancholy road, introduction of clean vocals, long drawn out passages, lots of ambience - especially the last track which is one long 'hum'.

Russell did a review for it at UM. I'm not saying I agree with it, but at least it gives you another opinion. :erk:

Russell's gay.

I am extremely excited to hear this one, though some of my excitement disappeared when I heard Adrian Leroux (Mindrot singer; they had three) was not going to do vocals as was planned in the beginning.

J. - The track sample you hear on the DS website is from a song called "A Slow Succumbing". It is a massive epic track that ranges anywhere between slow, tearing, guttural vocals (almost bordering funeral doom without necessarily meandering into nothingness) right through to some cool "Novembers Doom' melancholic moments. Pretty varied across the spectrum of doom.

There is no way I could review this album in a rush, it is exceptionally deep. It matures with each listen because you start to hear things differently. With all due respect to Russell, I have a slight feeling that he may not have given this album enough of a chance before reviewing it. Alternatively, he may just think it's shite. :)

(How did you like the new Orphaned Land by the way?)

I've only heard Mabool twice, mainly because I'm trying to decide if I love the new Eyes of Fire or if it's just damn good.

But from what I've gathered from it, I quite like it. I wish there were more growled vocals and more brutal guitars at times, and less long instrumental passages (8 minutes is a bit much), but I can't complain. The bonus CD is an added...er...bonus.

Russell didn't write that review by the way. :tickled:

You crazy UMers need to start posting your own reviews, it makes me confused too!

JayKeeley said:
With all due respect to Russell, I have a slight feeling that he may not have given this album enough of a chance before reviewing it.
BITCH! :eek: :D Hehe, just to save you guys reading the names where it says "By .... ......" I've only posted one of my own reviews since January, and that's the "Especially Likely Sloth" yesterday. Anything else posted by me wasn't written by me ;)

Review of Envy's latest going up later tonight hopefully tho :)

Thanks for the kind words on the new album; I can't wait for more responses once the album hits the shelves; both good and bad. As far as Anna's review in particular, I think someone already mentioned that the "doom" genre may not be her forte, but that doesn't mean her opinion is any less than the next. It's always good to have reviews from varied sources. Though she goes on some weird tangents, she has some points people may want to consider (especially if your musical tastes are in line with her reviews). I was surprised to know that she found the clean vocals to be nicely in place, while the death vocals were not, in her opinion. Again, we look forward to more opinions... While reviews don't dictate what we do next, it's always nice to know when the songs hit home with someone. Cheers!
Gary Griffith
www.morgion.com

Morgion said:
Thanks for the kind words on the new album; I can't wait for more responses once the album hits the shelves; both good and bad. As far as Anna's review in particular, I think someone already mentioned that the "doom" genre may not be her forte, but that doesn't mean her opinion is any less than the next. It's always good to have reviews from varied sources. Though she goes on some weird tangents, she has some points people may want to consider (especially if your musical tastes are in line with her reviews). I was surprised to know that she found the clean vocals to be nicely in place, while the death vocals were not, in her opinion. Again, we look forward to more opinions... While reviews don't dictate what we do next, it's always nice to know when the songs hit home with someone. Cheers!
Gary Griffith
I agree that "doom" may not be her forte, but with all honesty, even if it is, this is not an album that should be reviewed in any hurry.

I can only imagine that the first set of reviews to come out for this will differ to those that come out at a somewhat later date. This is an album that people need to spend some time with before rushing out a review, whether they are fans of doom or not.

*Really* good doom shouldn't hit home immediately IMO. :D

Welcome to RC by the way.

I've been wanting to upload this review for a while, but I'm just a bit busy these days. Anyway, since some of you guys might be interested, and the fact that Morgion themselves visit here, I just feel like posting my review (1st draft) tonight:

What is it about forest and outdoor imagery on an album cover that gets people to spend their hard-earned cash? There is little more dangerous to the wallet when browsing through an on-line record store dedicated to selling depressive black and doom metal. I see a dead tree on a CD cover and the next thing I know, my paypal account is down $10. The woodland cover art for Cloaked By Ages, Crowned in Earth is about as enticingly bleak as the music; the title text of the album slapped bang in the middle of a sun-drenched, moss green forest – and that’s it. As with Solinari, no mention of the “MORGION” logo anywhere, other than on the jewel case hinge.

Having essentially been in hibernation over the last few years, MORGION now awaken to find themselves in a new celestial season where Solinari and Cloaked by Ages… accompany each other in perfect contrast. If Solinari represented ancient doom-like worship of the Sun, then Cloaked by Ages… would reflect devout reverence to the Earth.

This time round, the band have evolved along the doom corridor, heading towards a stronger focus on melancholy and drawing slightly less from the death genre – perhaps most similar to the slower, drawn out moments that we first heard on Solinari. For further reference, take “Descent to Arawn”, “Canticle”, and “Solinari” from the preceding album and imagine extended versions that tend to meander through differing aspects of vocals, atmosphere, and even bouts of near-silence creating a stillness in the woodland air, a somber sense of desolation. Now, if you’ve not yet heard Solinari then that description really won’t help you much, but in all reality, you have little right to be reading this if that were indeed the case. To put it bluntly, MORGION’s Solinari is to ‘atmospheric death doom’ what BURZUM’s Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is to ‘atmospheric black metal’.

This long awaited follow up, Cloaked by Ages…, is not an easy listening experience by any means. There is nothing ‘immediate’ to which you can attach yourself, and I purposely delayed writing this review just to allow myself more time to fully absorb the album, but just like Solinari, there are new musical elements that keep seeping out of the woodwork. The primary appeal probably lays in the more obvious features, however, such as the broad spectrum of influences on offer: fragments of MY DYING BRIDE despair crushed under a momentary wave of PANTHEIST-like funeral doom, all frozen within the ether of sheer ambience. Indeed, the album even ends on a prolonged segment of a near-silent hum, fading into complete pitch blackness.

That is the magic of good doom, and is indeed the magic of MORGION.

9/10