1U Rack Enclosures?

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
I've been trying to find a 1U rack enclosure (this'll be for a DIY preamp that normally requires the purchase of a 2U, 8-spot rack enclosure...), but literally all that Google pops up with is 1U server enclosures that are longer than Samuel L. Jackson's resume.

What I need is just a blank (undrilled, hole wise), 1U, ~9" deep metal box. Anyone know where I could find it?

*EDIT* Found one at Redco, but it's $80 for a 10" or $65 for a 6" - anything cheaper would be much appreciated!

Ahhh good call, I was searching for 1U rackmount enclosure/chassis, but it turned up mainly manufacturers and not distributors like those. Bottom one worked tho!

Cheapest I've found. Bought 2 of the steel and 2 of the PVC for prototyping.

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17811+BX

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17086+BX

Aye that metal one is spot on - cheers man!!

So are you gonna build the SCA pres in a 1U with the Five-Fish power supply?

That's the plan! Might hit you up for a bit of help on combining the two.

Going to also have to separate the back jacks from the board itself to mount into the chassis, since it won't be the exact size of the SCA chassis. Curious - how deep are the individual preamps? like would I be good with a 6" over a 10"?

I don't think I'm gonna build more than 3 in any single chassis (more likely to have 2 A12 in one and 2 N72 in a second), and the Fish-Five PSU will power at least two no problem.

the SCA's are about 7" or 8". So you are going to have to go with the 10". Having the jacks off the board is fine, just need to solder wires to the board and run them to the jacks.

Yeah it shouldn't be a problem. You may need to use shielded wire or a twisted pair though, cause having anything over an inch on a signal line like that may pick up noise.

I've got some scraps of my standard Mogami 2549 XLR cabling, that should do the trick I assume? That's the same kind of cable it'll be going to/from the jacks with, just putting crap between them this time :lol:.