2-1 spdif hookup?

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
Basically i have my digi002 which only has 1 spdif input and i want to be able to hook up both my pod xt pro and a mic preamp that is spdif. I'm only gonna use one at a time but i just was wondering if there is like a 2-1 splitter box/switch or something. Basically something to save me from having to crawl behind the rack and keep unhooking and switching between the two.

Yea not only is it a pain in the ass to keep switching but I'm worried I'm gonna wear our or kill my spdif cables. There has to be something out there on the market.

This is gonna be super-n00b, but are SPDIF cables interchangeable with regular RCA cables? I mean, they do use the same connectors, so if so, you could use a little Radio Shack switcher (and not worry about quality loss, cuz it's digital, so either it's all there or none of it is).

Yea but one is spdif in and one is spdif out on my digi002. I need both hooked up to clock my pod xt to my digi002.

This is gonna be super-n00b, but are SPDIF cables interchangeable with regular RCA cables? I mean, they do use the same connectors, so if so, you could use a little Radio Shack switcher (and not worry about quality loss, cuz it's digital, so either it's all there or none of it is).

You know I can't say for certain but everything I have read says that it's not advised to use standard RCA cable... but that could just be marketing :erk:.

I think i used a rca cable like 4 years ago when I did not know any different. It worked i believe but i just always bought spdif cables when i found out there different. So yea for all i really know it could be the same. Doubt it though but shows how much i really know about spdif...:Smug:

I think i used a rca cable like 4 years ago when I did not know any different. It worked i believe but i just always bought spdif cables when i found out there different. So yea for all i really know it could be the same. Doubt it though but shows how much i really know about spdif...:Smug:

Well one thing I can guarantee you is that the quality of the cable has NOTHING to do with the sound quality when dealing in the digital medium - either all the bits make it there, or they dont, causing get pops/crackles/dropouts. It's the same thing with HDMI cables, and that's why I've been using two for my PS3 and XBOX360 that I got for $5 shipped each on ebay, and so far so good! I pity the fool who shells out like $40 for an HDMI cable at Best Buy :lol:

And as a result, this seems to confirm that you can get a simple A/V switcher at Radio Shack with RCA inputs to function as your SPDIF switcher!

ha, i didn't even knew special spdif cables existed, always used a cheap rca cable for that, no problems at all :)