Jun 29, 2007
sweden
www.youtube.com
I have recorded a band as a school project,
have used the following outboards, LA2A, 1176 on vox,
distressor on gits.
LA2A on bass
SSL bus comp on drums

would appreciate all kind of feedback, especilly infor the mastering :)

*UPDATED*

mix numero 3, a little more bas in the bas, more guitar, little less rev/amb and sn. plus some other small tweaks :)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1575659/beside 3.mp3
also took down the previus mixes

*NEWEST UPDATE*

Here are the masters, all feedback is good feedback :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1575659/Beside Master mp3.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1575659/Home Master mp3.mp3

Nice gear you had the luck to use there... I would have put a little more guitar and less kick. Maybe a little delay or something on the vocals, as they are too dry for my taste right now.

I would have to agree, the vocals are the only mediocre part about the mix. I also heard some tuning issues to, but it's not super noticeable.

Maybe some reverb, delay, and a little more compression. Also, something that really stands out to me is the pitch of her voice. Definitely need to get some pitch correction on that asap. With those things done, this mix would sound killer!

Agreed with the kick, too loud, and it's pumping the whole mix a little too hard. Other than that, the vocals sound awesome! That outboard is insane. Just get them a little wetter and it'll be a supremely awesome mix.

yeah, we have a great studio at our school, i feel really privileged :p

thx for the feed!

oh, hehe there are both reverb and delay on vox.. probly worked to long tonight with headphones.. i'll fix that :) how much more guitar?

the kick was done delibrity, it'll be more compressed when masterd and go down in volym, but i'll have that in mind, maybe take it a little bit down :)
it's not the mix that's pumping, i used sidechaine on the guitars, so when she sings, they go down 1-2 dB.. is it to much?

No, the sidechain isn't noticable. I honestly think the kick might just not fit the sound you're going for. It's kick 10 isn't it?

The attack is too consistent, did you use only one sample/velocity? This kind of mix needs something a bit more dynamic. Also, there is just way too much click, these more pop-y mixes need a rounder sounding kick. Other than that, you have it. I take back the call on the vocals, they sound great without any added verb. This is a great mix.

I love the music. Very Paramoreish.

The kick definitely needs to be dropped a few db. I think it fits the style fine. Maybe a little less clicky in the highmids.
Vocals need tuning.

Guitars need a lot of work imo. They're very dark and muddy.
OHs could come up a touch.

You also had a snare mistrigger in the intro fill, maybe elsewhere too.

llanafreak44,
i was at the studio yesterday and listened through their monitors.. yes, i see what you mean, to much click and to much kick...
no, it's multilayerd samples with different vel. thx otherwise! :D

Morgan C, haha yes, they like paramore :p I did an updated mix on the second song, less kick and less click :)
pushed up the gits and additional eq, changed the room sample for sn. and some otherthings :)
will look into autotuning..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1575659/beside 2.mp3

Just listened to the updated mix. I like it a lot!!! Very nice drum sound! Are these slate samples?
I feel like the guitars could stand out a still little bit more. They could get a bit more presence. Have you ever tried limiting the guitar bus?

llanafreak44,
i was at the studio yesterday and listened through their monitors.. yes, i see what you mean, to much click and to much kick...
no, it's multilayerd samples with different vel. thx otherwise! :D

Morgan C, haha yes, they like paramore :p I did an updated mix on the second song, less kick and less click :)
pushed up the gits and additional eq, changed the room sample for sn. and some otherthings :)
will look into autotuning..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1575659/beside 2.mp3

Sounding really good now.
Vocals are riding on top of everything a bit, but tuning them may help. I can tune them if you need, just give me a PM.
Guitars down in the verse, they drown out the drums.
Snare (especially the room sample) sounds like it's panned to the right a bit?
I'd still raise the OHs, at least in the chorus, to give it some more energy.

Other than that, it's sounding pretty damn good. One of the best mixes and songs I've heard on here in a while, at least in terms of vibe if not the more technical aspects.

overall the mix is very clean, i like that.
what i dont like is its way to subbass heavy (especially the kick) - its taking all the attention and prevents the song from really kicking.
try to listen to this on small speakers, youll immediately hear that (compared to aramore for example) there is not enough rock bass in the 120hz area,
thats so typical for this kindof musc. maybe a/b more and try to shape you mix into that direction.

also its pretty low in volume (it is mastered, right)?.(cause you said something about "info on mastering"...)

dont get me wrong - you did a really good job!
im just trying to give you a differnt perspective here.

SawdustRecordings, thanks! yea, i planned to bring up the precense/attack of the guitars later on in the master,
it's the slates ;) but most just fillers on the real drums, the ambience are the ones that you hear the most of the slate samples.

Morgan C, that would be really great! :D i'd appreciate that alot, i'll pm you later on!
i'll check your feed, thanks! and i'll raise the overheads in the chorues, great idea! :D
thank you for those words! means alot! ^^

dcb, i personly like the kick below the bass, but i'll look into that!
no, it's not masterd yet, it's only the mix :) so there will be some eq changes and volume later on ;)
thanks! it's ok, all feed is important for development ^^

I'm digging the vibe, you can really hear the outboard gear working. It's a nice change from the stuff that normally goes around here.

I think the mix itself could use some more balancing work to get everything more cohesive and 'large' sounding. I think the guitars have to go up in volume to help build the support and 'cushion' for the vocals. The whole thing feels like it lacks a bit of glue, cohesion, largeness etc. There's probably a bit too much verb/ambiance on everything. For this kind of stuff it's okay to just get it all up front. Go heavy-handed on the compression. Hit the serial channels on the drums, then hit them in parallel, then hit them on the drum bus. Same deal with the vox. Feel free to stage 3 or 4 comps in sequence, get it really up front and personal.

Good luck, and thanks for sharing.

ermz, thx! :)
I actually got 2 compressors pumping parallell with the drums, do you think it needs more? havn't tried it on the vox on this song, it's already processed with LA2a and 1176, so it's allready very compressed, should i do parallell with them also? yea, the guitar can go up a little bit more, noticed it :) did you mean 3-4 busses with compression, or 3-4 compressors on the same buss?
I will try to glue it together when the mastring begins to make it feel more together. how much amb would you want to take away? the first mix i uploaded was very dry and ppl wanted it to be more wet :)

ermz, thx! :)
I actually got 2 compressors pumping parallell with the drums, do you think it needs more? havn't tried it on the vox on this song, it's already processed with LA2a and 1176, so it's allready very compressed, should i do parallell with them also? yea, the guitar can go up a little bit more, noticed it :) did you mean 3-4 busses with compression, or 3-4 compressors on the same buss?
I will try to glue it together when the mastring begins to make it feel more together. how much amb would you want to take away? the first mix i uploaded was very dry and ppl wanted it to be more wet :)

I usually do the reverb stuff after I have the general instrument balances/EQ in place. If you try to add verb before it's all ready, you will tend to over-do it. I'd back it all off a fair bit, and then go back to the EQ and comp side before revisiting the verb.

Once you get the glue in place, see if you can add some highs and overall brightness into the track. It feels a little dull and subdued at the moment. I think some quality highs will help get things feeling more airy and personal.

No worries about the tracks, if you feel they are already compressed enough. If the dynamics are in place, then you probably need to chase the rest of the sound via EQ.