2 Short DI Clips (need help!!)

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
DI Clip Left and Right

We start tomorrow and are doing a ten song project and desperately need to figure out if I have the DI's as clean (low noise, no clipping), and also if i am hitting the strings hard enough, I DO NOT want to have to go back and do DI's again when done recording . :loco:

My chain:
I am using EMG 81's into a Radial JDI (no buttons pressed), xlr into Great River me-1nv (no buttons pressed) gain at 30 output level at +1 (should the gain be lower on the great river and the output level higher for a cleaner sound?)

http://www.keepmyfile.com/download/acbeeb2287663

1. Is there low noise level?
2. Any clipping? ( I watched the meters and never really went past -6)
3. Am I hitting the strings hard enough?
4. Is this good enough to start my project?

Thanks guys you rock! :headbang:

Hey dude, got your PM and loaded one of the .wav files into Cubase with Wagner Sharp and KeFIR to check it out - I still kinda feel you're hitting the strings too weakly, though that might be the DI box you're using or the level you recorded at (it'd be easiest to tell with a track recorded straight from a mic'ed amp, pod, etc.). More importantly, though, were you monitoring yourself through any distortion when you tracked these DI's? Cuz there's a LOT of ringing out of the high open strings, and some missed hits and stuff; maybe these were just scratch tracks, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware. Cool riffs though dude, I look forward to hearing the finished product!