2005 Paradise Lost CD

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
I noticed that many fans on this BB stated that the latest PLost was amongst their favs of 2005.

After the abysmal last record, I'd all but given up on them. Is the new record similar to the last (whos names escapes me as I type this)? Is the songwriting similar to the glory of "Icon" or "One Second"?

As an aside, I dont like any of the pre-Icon material. Well some is strong, but overall, find the majority lacking. As for the recent output, I dont mind the lack of metal. I just find the songwriting redundant and without much energy and emotion. They've become the exact opposite of Katatonia.

Anyway, how would you describe the latest record?

SoundMaster said:
Is the new record similar to the last?

Yes, I would say so. It's not drastically different from "Symbol Of Life" and it's an OK album, but definately not one of my faves. I've always enjoyed the works of Paradise Lost but their newer stuff doesn't exactly blow me away. They have written too many mediocre songs over the years, I think, just like so many other bands who developed from (death) metal to some kind of "modern rock", or whatever you wanna call it. Katatonia is one of the few bands that has succesfully walked this path. They have consistently matured and progressed, without ever releasing a weak album, which is something I personally can't say of Paradise Lost, Tiamat, EverEve, Lacrimas Profundere and the likes.

I couldn't recommend it without hesitation, you might want to listen to it first. It doesn't quite suffer from random listening, as opposed to listening it as a whole. My first impression was that this is not much different than Symbol of Life, which I think is an ok record. With a few more listens I found the songs more interesting, some are more like "Believe In Nothing", but in a good way. The instruments are well balanced here and the overall mixing is great. I only dislike one song, that being "Laws of Cause", because it just doesn't stick to my mind. All in all, not much progress for PL, but good record, nonetheless.

And this is written by one who holds "Draconian Times" in the highest respect.

I've heard only one song from that album. It was't really bad but it also didn't make me want to listen to the rest...

Nothing I'm crazy about. As a band, their hooks aren't consistent and strong enough for the genre they're playing.

About it in my sig, I just love the albums art.

I think it's a really good album that most Katatonia fans will like. It refers to the Icon-Draconian Times and if you like those then you 'd like the last one too.

It's a pop album disguised as a metal one, It's really hard to believe that a band that made really creative emotionally driven music like 'Shades of God' and 'Icon' could currently make such bland commercial music. I know that bands change their likes/dislikes and mature, but for PL it seems like they are constantly degressing, as the original poster said it's kind of like the exact opposite of Katatonia. But then again the same can be said of many metal bands who've decided to 'grow up' Sentenced, Metallica, etc...

Well, I think it has great musical moments and very good songs. They won´t do "One second" or "Icon" again, but why should they?. Maybe their music is not as strange and hipnotic as Katatonia but I think they create also unique emotions (you only have to listen to Over the madness or Grey), they have some kind of depressive rage, mature sadness that nobody else can do as they do. Each band should have its own identity and Paradise lost has it. I know that a lot of people think that the play pop music, but the same could be said about Katatonia and we all love them. Listen to last P.L. cd wtih an open sad mind and maybe you will realize you even like it.

I really like, but it gets old quick, its alot better then there last few but its its prety avg. i think.

The music is good but my god do the lyrics suck arse. they are laughable at best.

PL coul be a great band but they just arn't.

so after some time (distance is good) it's clear that this paradise lost cd isnt their worst, by far. the last two predecessors are the worst! quite interesting to read that mackintosh feels the same now (distance is good).
the dissapointing thing with this band today, is that i've to go look for great parts instead of great songs on their albums and by that i just cant hold paradise lost as one of my fave bands anymore, but i do hold them dear in my heart as a major influence in our early days, and like anyone cares, but ok, to shift the whole thing around and crakk yer vision that i'm only naggin about the old days...here's one for ya...
u think 'host' suxxx? bad for u cuz to me its a creative fukkin masterpiece! u might hate the sound (i dont), but musically, yes, musically, u'd be a fool to deny those songs character and atmosphere...
so try grasp where it's at. it's about hearing when their hearts were in it and not...

I always find it strange that "fans" want or need a recreation in quality and style to a previous album. Its a bit like painting the same picture twice.

I love the new PL album, dont get me wrong here, i was a huge fan of draconian times, but thats old now, like the beatles and Jimi hendrix. To hear jimi now would be a dream, and a new album, well... but thats different, he is an icon from his era.

The new album, is not the best, but I loved HOST you see, and that was very similar, the songs I find are very catchy, much better than Symbol of Life their previous attempt, and the sweeping melodies give a very draconian feel to the whole setup.

Lets put it this was, I think they are very clever, they've created some fantastic catchy melodies, and blended in the style of Draconian/ICON.

I listen to it in the car a lot and constantly find myself singing out the tunes, "SHINE", with a brilliant vibrant feel to it, then there is "Accept the PAIN" again nice feel to it.

If i have one complaint its that the album does tend to be a bit samey in places, and everything feels safe, but after listening to Katatonia fuck my heart up I have something to cool down to.

thank you Blakkheim for these words of whisdom :)

imo PL "X" as they call it doesn't reinvent the genra as some of its brothers (Gothic, Icon, One Second) did before.

this album is more a kind compilation of what (huge work) they did so far. most of the songs (or parts) sound like Symbol of Life's, but you have a very heavy-doom song (Over the Madness) that reminds one the early days of Lost Paradise (except for the voice of course). if you listen good enough, you'll hear solos coming strait from the DT period, atmospheres from One Second...

PL have reached a very high level of maturity, and -imo- they have nothing to proove anymore.

speaking of Host, i don't feel shame saying that it's my fav PL album, above Draconian Times or even One Second.

more than a metal-head, i'm a music lover. Host is not metal at all, it's highly emotional music. it's pure emotion.

and - as you say it Blakkheim - music is art, and art is not reproduction, but is (more than anything else) creation, evolution.

and PL are creators.

One second had a few good songs, but 'Host' was a really good album, I think they should have gone in a less heavy synth pop direction. Everything from them sounds just so contrived now.

Blakkheim said:
u think 'host' suxxx? bad for u cuz to me its a creative fukkin masterpiece!

I like "Host" too. Paradise Lost definately did the right thing when they recorded that one. I saw 'em live during the "One Second"-tour when they played with Kreator and two other bands... and you could tell they weren't feeling too comfortable up there. The old-school fans up front would be yelling "As I Die" after each song and when they finally played it, Nick Holmes told them to fuck off. I felt that his vocal performance was also very poor that night.

When "Host" came out I went to see them again. The "As I Die"-fans had decided to stay home, so the place was not exactly packed... but the band rocked!!! And they still played lots of older songs (the opener "Say Just Words" was followed by "Rememberance" from the "Icon"-album). Fantastic! I even drove to another town to catch them during the second leg of the tour.

I like the new album alot. Saw them live for the first time in stockholm early this year, they almost played the whole new album i think. It was a good show, good sound. But Nick was kinda booring, didnt say much and when he did you could barely hear him. Looked like he was there doing a job, nothing else. Has he allways been like this?