2005 Paradise Lost CD

For me, the new Paradise Lost album is the best of 2005. If I was to compare it to their other albums, I'd say it was a mix of Draconian Times and Symbol of Life.

It seems to me a lot of people have criticized PL over the past decade purely on the principle of musical change, rather than having a natural affinity for anything purely dark and brutal. As already mentioned, listening to music with an open mind helps you to appreciate it better. I think this is also a sign of maturity.

However, this said, I'll admit that I'm not completely objective in my approach to metal. Paradise Lost have been my favourite band since '93, so there's every chance that if they were to release something that I thought was genuinely poor, I'd make alot more effort to like it than if another band were to do the same.

Take "Believe in Nothing". I think some of the songs on this album are very good, but others are lacking such greatness. Plus, the album doesn't have any particular feel, it sounds random, fragmented, and the songs really don't belong on the same album in my opinion. Worst of all, any given song on this album is quite predictable in structure. Nearly five years after it's release, I can finally admit that I don't like this album all that much, not just as far as Paradise Lost goes, but as far as music goes in general. I can finally say "I don't like everything PL have done". Greg Makintosh has admitted that numerous compromises were made during the recording of this album, therefore the degree to which it is genuine suffers, and the principle behind it bothers me, so my opinion on the album suffers. Of course, I criticize people for not liking PL based on the principle of musical change to begin with, but like I said, I'm not completely objective, rather, I'm human.

It doesn't really matter what anybody says, we're not all that interested in others opinions if we're really honest, it all comes down to our own opnions. So there's no facts regarding music.

Anyway, enough ranting.

The new PL, It's ok I guess not their best album by far.I really love what they did untill "symbol of life".I can honestly say that album sucked ass.
Like some of you here I think Host is a masterpiece(except the album cover,they look like the fucking backstreet boys).My favorite albums are draconian times and Icon.